What are the ingredients of a great sandwich? A recent article published in the Huffington Post claims to have the answer to that question. They say that “across the country, a new breed of sandwich artisans are taking lunchtime to a whole ‘nother level.” Translation? Sandwich making is becoming an art form.
The Huffington Post recently published a series of sandwiches by Endless Simmer that heralded what they called America’s Top 10 New Sandwiches. Number Four on this list was The Maple. The name had my eyebrow raising with interest even though the ingredients sounded more like something from a McMenu with sausage, cheese, and griddled bread.
But trust me, this is not your country cousin’s McGriddle. In fact, this sandwich puts the art in the artisan. And yet, I imagine it would appeal to foodies and that McGriddle lovin’ cousin alike. The only problem? We needed a vegan version. What were we to do?
A team of vegan bloggers combined their recipe designing skills to remodel these sandwiches, maintaining their artisan-inspired, quirky features, while transforming them to a healthier and happier place in today’s American culture. We call our vegan series “America’s Top 10 New Sandwiches…Veganized!” Here’s what we’ve published so far:
- Sandwich No. 10 the Vegan Spuckie Sandwich, prepared by Your Vegan Mom and featured a carrot salad on top of vegan deli slices.
- Sandwich No. 9 the Bulgogi Steak Sandwich
by Manifest Veganshowcased tender strips of marinated tofu topped with caramelized onions.
- Sandwich No. 8, the Crispy Drunken Chicken Sandwich showcased two unique vegan recipes by Veggie Num Num and Epicurean Vegan who both provided recipes with sweet, spicy sauces.
- Sandwich No. 7, the Cheesy Mac and Rib Sandwich featuring a thick barbecue sauce grilled over thinly sliced tofu and served with caramelized onions and oh-so-vegan mac and cheese.
- Sandwich No. 6, The Pibil Torta Sandwich spotlighting crusty bolillo bread spread with a black bean paste, marinated wild mushrooms and finished with a layer of pickled red onions.
- Sandwich No. 5, The Fried Chicken Sandwich, a cashew cream encrusted fried *chick’n* patty topped with a lip-smacking, zesty slaw.
Today’s recipe, The Maple, was veganized, developed, and photographed by Nora of Pride and Vegiduce. If you haven’t yet figured out what makes a great sandwich for you, be prepared to find your maple muse.
We hope you enjoyed this seventh post in our series of America’s Top 10 New Sandwiches…Veganized! We’ll be publishing more recipes soon.