This Best Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe creates a delicious cookie infused with orange. Chocolate orange cookies combine the best flavors in one sweet cookie recipe! Enjoy this orange cookie recipe made without eggs or dairy, and one of the most flavorful, tender cookies ever!
When I’m happy I bake cake. When I’m mildly unsettled I bake cookies. It’s almost as if when anything of note happens in my life, I head to the kitchen.
Baking is like a refuge of creativity. I love it!
Today I love spending time in the kitchen. I feel strong there; moving from pantry to platters. I feel creative there; stirring dough and zesting oranges. Like a painter with her palette mixing colors until she gets just the right hue.
That means these orange chocolate cookies are more like therapy than dessert.
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Vegan butter
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Coffee-flavored liqueur
- Ground flaxseed
- Apple cider vinegar
- Baking soda + baking powder
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
How to Make Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Here are the steps to make this delicious orange cookie recipe:
Step One: Cream Together the Butter and the Sugar
Place the vegan butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed for 1 – 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. I love this article on the reasons why creaming the butter and sugar together is the best first step.
Step Two: Add Remaining Wet Ingredients
Add the following ingredients: orange zest, liquor, ground flaxseed, cornstarch, water, and apple cider vinegar. Use the mixer to combine these ingredients. Set aside.
Note: I’m using orange zest in this orange peel cookies recipe. However, if you don’t have oranges handy, you can make these into orange extract cookies by substituting 1/2 teaspoon orange extract for the orange zest.
Step Three: Combine the Dry Ingredients
In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Step Four: Mix it All Together
Pour the flour ingredients along with the chocolate chips in with the butter mixture and stir until just combined.
Step Five: Drop and Bake
Drop the orange zest cookies dough by rounded spoonful (I used a cookie dough scoop) on a cookie sheet lined with silpat or parchment paper. Be sure to leave around 2 inches between each cookie dough ball to allow for spreading as the cookies bake.
Bake orange zest chocolate chip cookies for 10 – 12 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow them to sit on the pan for a minute or two before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
When I dare to be powerful – to use my strength in the service of my vision – then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid. — Audre Lorde
This recipe for orange dark chocolate chocolate cookies is so good, even the dough is irresistible!
More Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sure, you love these chocolate chip orange cookies! But if you want more delicious cookie recipes, be sure to give these a spin:
Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup vegan butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- zest of one orange
- 2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two cookie sheets with silpat or parchment paper.
- Combine butter and sugars in a mixing bowl and mix on medium to medium-high speed until light.
- Add the orange zest, coffee flavored liqueur (sub with 1 tablespoon of vanilla if you prefer not to use alcohol), flax meal, cornstarch, water, and vinegar. Mix on medium speed until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the flour mixture in with the orange butter mixture and stir well. Add the chocolate chips and give it another stir.
- Drop by rounded spoonful onto prepared cookie sheets, allowing at least two inches between them. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until the cookies get a nice, golden color to them.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for a minute before using a spatula to transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat until all the dough is used. Or, you can refrigerate this dough for a few days and spread the baking out. That way you have freshly-made cookies all week long!
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
It’s important to love the cookies you’re eating. So, whatever, cookie you’re baking, enjoy!