If you love muffins for breakfast, you’ll want to make these delicious vegan orange poppyseed muffins, full of flavor and topped with orange-infused glaze. Perfect for a weekend breakfast, and weekday too.
My muse was an orange in the fridge that was on it’s last leg. All I can say now, is thank goodness for “day-old” oranges. If you feel so inclined, head over to OGP to check out the recipe for both the Orange Poppyseed Muffins and the Orange glaze.
How to Make Orange Poppy Seed Muffins
Here are the ingredients in this vegan muffins recipe:
- vegan butter
- vegan buttermilk (basically plant-based milk combined with vinegar)
- vegan sour cream
- poppy seeds
- baking powder
- baking soda
- powdered sugar
That’s a pretty simple list of ingredients for some pretty amazing muffins!
Steps to Making Poppy Seed Muffins
The process for making these orange poppy seed muffins is pretty straight forward. You can easily put the ingredients together in around 5 – 10 minutes, bake them for 20 and have them cooling on the counter and ready to be frosted (and eaten) soon after that.
Here are the basic steps to making these homemade vegan muffins:
- create vegan buttermilk by combining plant-based milk with apple cider vinegar
- cream vegan butter and sugar with a mixer and add the vegan buttermilk, vegan sour cream, orange zest, and vanilla and mix again
- combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then pour that into the vegan butter mixture being sure not to overmix
- spoon the muffin batter into a greased muffin tins (I used a large muffin tin with 6 compartments) and then bake
- prepare the icing by combining powdered sugar with the juice from the orange and drizzle this over finished muffins.
Make and Eat or Meal Plan?
You can definitely make these vegan orange poppyseed muffins on a Saturday morning and have some folks over and eat them right there on the spot. They’re delicious freshly baked!
However, you can also make these, allow them to cool on the counter, and then freeze them. Then you’ll have muffins available on a whim. And that’s a delicious way to live life!
To serve these muffins after freezing, set them on the counter for a bit so they can come to room temperature and then microwave them in short bursts until warm enough for your liking. Here are some great tips for using a microwave to thaw frozen foods.
We hope you love this recipe for vegan orange poppyseed muffins as much as we do! If you decide to make them, grab your phone and snap a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your photos!
Orange Poppyseed Muffins
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- zest of one orange
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Heat your oven to 350F and prepare your muffin pans (spray with vegetable spray or line with cups).
- In a small bowl combine soymilk and vinegar, stir and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, cream the butter and sugar with a mixer. Add the buttermilk, vegan sour cream, orange zest and vanilla. Mix again with your mixer until well-combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, poppy seeds, salt, baking powder and baking soda). Add to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined (don’t over mix!)
- Drop the batter into prepared muffin pans and bake for approximately 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Glaze. While you’re waiting for those muffins to cool down, stir together the powdered sugar and orange juice. Don’t worry if the mixture is a little runny – that’s what we’re looking for. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins.