Sometimes you need the perfect sweet treat that combines crispy, gooey, and fruity all in the same bite. That’s what I like to refer to as a mouthful of divine. And guess what? That’s what these Raspberry Coconut Thumbprint Cookies are all about. Read on, and I hope you’ll agree.
I feel like I’m constantly trying to recreate that Raspberry Coconut fixation I had as a child. See, when I was, oh, say between the ages of 7 and yesterday, I’ve craved raspberry and coconut together.
I used to scratch that itch by eating Raspberry Zingers. I know. It’s embarrassing to even admit that.
But today I have more posh, sophisticated ways of getting in my raspberry, coconut obsession.
You know, because sophisticated and posh is what we’re all about here.
Seriously, though, there are some clever and tasty ways to combine these two flavors. For example, there’s my Raspberry Zinger Coconut Cake which is not only vegan but gluten-free too. I also made these Chocolate-Dipped Raspberry Coconut Macaroons. They were SO good! And who can forget these Raspberry Coconut Snoball Cookies.
This, I believe, is Exhibit A in proving the whole Raspberry Coconut obsession.
What You’ll Love About These Raspberry Coconut Thumbprint Cookies
The cookie in this recipe is more like a shortbread cookie – it’s a little crispy on the outside, but the raspberry jam filling pairs perfectly with that crispy cookie. It’s like they were meant to be together. Then we added a little coconut cream icing on the top and that was, well, you know, the icing on the cookie!
These cookies are light and delicious and full of flavor and texture in each and every bite. We made the whole batch and then froze half of them to save for later. Oh, and since we’re talking about the freezer, these cookies are kind of delicious frozen. I think I might even prefer them that way. I guess I’ve got a thing for crispy!
We hope you love Raspberry Coconut Thumbprint Cookies as much as we do. If you give them a try, share a photo using #namelymarly on Instagram or Twitter. We love seeing your photos!
Raspberry Coconut Thumbprint Cookies
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup corn starch
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup shredded coconut
Raspberry Jam Filling
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¾ – 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla-flavored plant-based milk
- Heat your oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a food processor combine the margarine, coconut oil, coconut extract, and powdered sugar. Pulse until well combined.
- Add the corn starch and flour and pulse until combined.
- Place the half cup of shredded coconut in a bowl and and then roll the dough into balls and roll through the shredded coconut before placing on the prepared cookie sheet, about 1″ of space between them.
- After you’ve made all the coconut dough balls, next prepare the Raspberry Jam Filling. In that same bowl that held the coconut, add another half cup of shredded coconut and the raspberry jam. Stir to combine.
- Use your thumb or a spoon and create a dollop in the middle of each cookie dough ball. Add a bit of the Raspberry Jam Filling to each cookie.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the outside of the cookie is slightly golden. Remove from the oven and set on a rack to cool completely before icing.
- To prepare the icing, place the coconut oil and powdered sugar in a bowl. Stir to combine. This mixture will be thick and course. Add the plant-based milk, one teaspoon at a time until you reach a desired consistency. Drizzle the frosting on cooled cookies.
- Store in a sealed container. These cookies will last longer if stored in the fridge.