Today’s recipe comes just in time for summer because this Brussels Sprouts Slaw, is perfectly paired with your favorite summertime veggie burger!
If you would have asked me a few years ago if I liked Brussels Sprouts, I might have given you that what planet are you from look. Because not only would I have not known what they were, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have liked them if I did.
For a lot of my life I had a fairly limited worldview when it came to vegetables. I liked corn, potatoes, and iceberg lettuce. And I’m not even certain we should call corn a vegetable, since it’s probably more technically a grain.
But I’ve pushed myself a little to try new veggies. And what I’ve found is that when cooked right, a lot of vegetables can be rather delicious. For me cooked right means cooked light because I’ve learned that I’m not a fan of soggy vegetables. But lightly steamed with a little bit of olive oil and garlic is a recipe to make almost any vegetable sing!
That’s how I finally tried my first dish of Brussels Sprouts – lightly steamed and then sautéed with some olive oil and chopped garlic. It was amazing!
But today’s recipe calls for raw ingredients, and yet somehow I still completely love it. Who knew taste buds could be so adaptable!
What You’ll Love About This Brussels Sprouts Slaw
This vegan Brussels Sprouts Slaw is completely dairy-free and full of so much flavor, you’ll love every bite! It’s a perfect accompaniment to your summertime veggie burger BBQ. But you can also add it to some other tasty dishes. For example, it goes perfectly on veggie BBQ Meatball Sandwiches. I also added it to my Loaded Nachos. And I have a recipe for some Vegan Street Tacos coming up soon that includes this Brussels Sprouts Slaw. See how adaptable it is?
Brussels Sprouts are more than a pretty cole slaw. Brussels Sprouts are loaded with lots of nutrients and minerals including: Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Folate, Manganese, fiber, and even some iron. So, in other words, if you’re into things like antioxidants and anti-inflammatories, you will want to have more Brussels Sprouts in your diet. If you’d like to learn more about the health benefits, check out the World’s Healthiest Food page on Brussels Sprouts.
But beyond just the health benefits, you’ll love how this slaw is crunchy, lightly sweet, and full of flavor thanks to the use of sesame seed oil.
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Brussels Sprouts Slaw as much as we do. If you try it, please share a photo of it using #namelymarly on Instagram or Twitter. We love seeing your photos!
Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- 2 cups Brussels Sprouts washed and patted dry
- ¼ cup leek slices or green onions if leeks aren’t available
- ¼ cup red bell pepper sliced
- 1 jalapeño stem and seeds removed, chopped*
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 2-3 tablespoons dairy-free mayonnaise
- Sesame seeds to serve over finished slaw
- Roughly chop the Brussels Sprouts and add them to a food processor along with the leeks, red bell pepper slices, jalapeño slices, and cilantro. Pulse until the ingredients are shredded into small pieces, the size you would see in a typical cole slaw.
- Add the lime juice, agave nectar, sesame seed oil and mayo and pulse again for just a second or two until the ingredients are combined.
- Place in a lidded serving container and refrigerate before serving. Top with sesame seeds to serve.