Wake up your taste buds with this delicious sour apple smoothie recipe. It’s also a refreshing and healthy way to hydrate on a hot day. You can experiment with different fruits and greens to find your perfect smoothie.
We love smoothies at our house. In fact, we have a healthy green smoothie every day. We like expanding our flavor options and this sour apple smoothie is a fun one to have in the mix.
Smoothies are great for breakfast, but they also make a perfect pre or post-workout snack.
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Apple — You’ll need one Granny Smith apple
- Banana — Add sweet flavor with two large bananas.
- Spinach — You’ll want to use fresh spinach for your smoothie.
- Protein powder — I prefer using vanilla protein powder for flavor and nutrition.
- Yogurt — I like using plain vegan yogurt. You can substitute plant-based milk and a bit of apple cider vinegar.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- HEALTHY — This healthy smoothie is infused with flavor and nutrition.
- EASY — You can make this smoothie in minutes!
- ON-THE-GO — Take your smoothie with you for an on-the-go breakfast or snack!
Do you peel an apple in a smoothie?
You don’t need to peel apples for smoothies since many of the nutrients reside in the peel.
Are green apples healthy?
Green apples are low-sugar fruit with 4 grams of fiber and lots of minerals. That makes them a healthy addition to your diet.
Serve this green apple smoothie as a smoothie bowl with any of the following toppings:
- Sprinkle some peanut butter granola on top.
- Add drizzles of vegan caramel sauce for a fantastic apples and caramel flavor
- This vegan butterscotch sauce is another delicious flavor combined with apples.
- Fresh fruit like blueberries and chopped pears is a nice touch.
- A mixture of seeds or chopped nuts can add texture. Some favorites are pumpkin seeds!
Smoothies are best served fresh. However, you can store them in the fridge for one to two days. They can also be stored in the freezer. Stir before serving.
Sour Green Apple Spinach Smoothie
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, core removed
- 2 large bananas, peeled
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon vanilla protein powder
- ½ cup vegan yogurt (optional)
- 1 to 2 cups ice crushed
- Slice the apple and banana and place them in a blender. Add the protein powder, yogurt, and spinach to the blender. Blend on low until broken down. Scrape down the sides of the blender jar and blend again, gradually increasing speed until smooth.
- Add 1 cup of ice and blend on low until most broken down. Gradually increase speed until it gets smooth.
- Take a taste test. If you're happy with the consistency, coldness, and sweetness, then you're done. To make it thicker, add a second cup of ice and blend on low, gradually increasing speed to make it smooth. To make it sweeter, add a bit more protein powder or some maple syrup.
- Pour the smoothie into glasses and enjoy!
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
- A squeeze of lemon juice adds extra sourness to the smoothie.
- Add some frozen berries or mango chunks to the smoothie for an extra burst of flavor and color.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.