This easy Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole uses caramelized pecans to create a crunchy topping over mashed, savory sweet potatoes. It’s a healthier side dish.
Every year during the holiday season I go to one dinner after another where some variation of sweet potato casserole is served. And every year I give it a try hoping that maybe this will be the year I’ll actually like it. I never do. The thing is, I think they’re too sweet.
Don’t get me wrong, I love sweets. My mom will be happy to tell you in detail about my sweet tooth and how it started at an early age. It’s just that I like my sweets to be…dessert.
Do you know what I mean? I don’t want pie with my dinner. I either want it after dinner, or preferably before and skip dinner altogether.
I kid! I kid! I don’t eat dinner first and then skip dinner. 😳 Not usually.
Why You’ll Love Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
Every recipe I found for Sweet Potato Casserole called for cups of sugar. I thought that the word “sweet” in sweet potato would suffice, so I decided to live on the wild side and try my hand at making my own version sweet potato casserole. What I came up with was basically a garlic infused mashed sweet potatoes topped with sweet praline pecans.
Hey, I don’t have to forgo all sugar! This recipe is simply divine and I can’t wait to take it to my next holiday dinner.
Ways to Adapt this Recipe
Hey, I love this vegan sweet potato casserole exactly the way it is, but you might like to try something different. I get that. That’s why I’m suggesting some ideas for how to adapt this recipe to meet your every need:
- You could skip the garlic if it’s not your thing
- Some people put cinnamon in their mashed sweet potatoes
- I could see adding some vegan sour cream to the mashed sweet potatoes
- Oh, and you could also slice up some green onions and add that to the mashed sweet potatoes too
- If olive oil is not your thing, you can use vegan butter in the mashed sweet potatoes
We hope you love this recipe for vegan Sweet Potato Casserole as much as we do! If you decide to make it, be sure to snap a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. We LOVE seeing your photos!
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4-5 medium Sweet potatoes , washed
- 2 cloves Garlic , chopped
- ⅓ cup Olive oil
- ¾ cup Plant-based milk , plain (not vanilla)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Butter
- ¾ cup Pecans , chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Maple syrup
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add chopped sweet potatoes. We do not peel the sweet potatoes. Boil until potato chunks are tender, about 15 minutes. Pour potatoes into a colander to drain. Place chopped garlic on top of the hot potatoes to soften garlic.
- Pour potatoes/garlic into a large bowl and mash by hand (using a mashing utensil) or use a hand held mixer. Add the olive oil and plant-based milk and mash until a preferred consistency is achieved. We prefer chunky.
- Add the salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Place a piece of waxed paper over a cookie sheet.
- For the pecan topping, add the vegan butter, cinnamon, sea salt, pecans and brown sugar to a skillet. Stir for a minute or a two on medium-low heat. Add the maple syrup, increase heat to medium-high and stir until bubbling and sticky.
- Use a spatula to transfer pecan mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Allow the mixture to cool before breaking into pieces. Distribute evenly over the top of the mashed sweet potatoes.