This sweet Caramel Snack Mix recipe is a sweet indulgence, perfect for party food! Imagine cereal combined with nuts, pretzels, and other snack foods, topped with a sweet caramel sauce. Once it cools, it turns into an addictive, crunchy finger food! This is a sweet snack mix you’ll want to make time and time again!
I was at a party once where someone served what I thought was the tastiest snack I’d ever had. I feel like that with about every new snack I try. This one was a Caramel Snack Mix and I knew within minutes of trying it that I had to make some! And of course, any time I make something myself, that means I have to embellish the recipe some too.
How to Make Caramel Snack Mix Recipe
This is a relatively easy recipe to make. Combine the cereal and other dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir it up.
Next, melt vegan butter in a saucepan. Then add brown sugar and corn syrup and continue cooking and stirring until that gets bubbly.
Then, remove from heat and add vanilla and baking soda. Stir to combine and then pour that over the cereal mixture, stirring to coat.
Spread that out onto a pan covered with parchment paper and bake in an oven set at 200F for 20 minutes, stirring half-way through baking time. Then remove it from the oven and set aside for it to cool.
Once it’s cooled, break it into pieces and enjoy!
These expert tips will help you make this caramel snack mix perfect every time:
- Be sure and have a pan prepared ahead of time with waxed paper
- Mix the cereal and other dry ingredients first so it’s ready for the caramel sauce
- Use your favorite cereals and other ingredients, like pretzels, almonds, pecans, and more (I think adding popcorn would be interesting too)
- I like adding sprinkles for pizzaz but it’s not necessary
- Continually stir the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup because it will heat up quickly
- Make sure you use a large saucepan because when you add the baking soda, the mixture will “foam up” and expand
- Do not touch the mixture once you’ve combined the caramel sauce over the cereal. Use a spatula to stir it and pour it into the prepared pan (because it’s very hot)
- Allow the coated cereal mix to cool completely before breaking it into pieces.
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Caramel Crunch Cheerios Snack Mix
- 1 stick dairy free margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white corn syrup
- ½ tablespoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups Cheerios
- 1 cup Pretzel pieces
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup of a favorite snack food like roasted soynuts, raisins, or even popcorn
- Sprinkles optional
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet with vegetable oil spray and set aside.
- Place stick of margarine in a saucepan and cook on medium low until melted. Add syrup and brown sugar and cook on medium heat 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add soda and vanilla. Add the cheerios, pretzel pieces and nuts and stir to coat evenly.
- Spread the mixture out on a cookie sheet and place in 200 degree oven for 20 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Allow the snack mix to cool and then break into pieces by hand.
This post has been updated with new photos. Here’s one of the old photos. It’s a nice clear and colorful shot, but we wanted it in a larger size for our evolving food photography standards.