This Homemade Vegan Almond Joy Coconut Bites Recipe is full of coconut goodness and dark chocolate! Almond Joys feature a sweet coconut base topped with almonds and covered in dark chocolate. Homemade Almond Joy Bars are made without dairy!
There’s no flavor combination that can compete with creamy coconut paired with delicious dark chocolate.
Is there anyone out there who doesn’t love the flavors of chocolate and coconut together? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
I didn’t think so.
I’m no exception to the rule, either. In fact, Shawn and I were fighting over the last one of these babies. Well, actually, Shawn ate it and then we argued over who should have had the last one. I think it should have been ME!
He had a subtle Cheshire Cat grin on his face when he apologized. I’m not sure I believe he’s really sorry. But I forgive him anyway. I mean, with less than 10 ingredients…I can just make more almond joy balls!
I might hide the next batch though. I hope he doesn’t read this post…
How to Make Almond Joy Bites Candy
This homemade almond joy bites recipe is easy to make. First of all, the almond joy ingredients are minimal: coconut flakes, agave, coconut oil, stevia, vanilla extract, raw almonds, and dark chocolate chips.
Step One: Almond Joy Filling
To make the almond joy filling, add coconut flakes to a food processor and pulse until broken down into smaller bits. Add coconut oil, agave, stevia, and vanilla extract. Pulse again to combine these ingredients.
Make 12 – 15 balls. The batter will be sticky, but it’s worth it! Transfer the balls to a tray lined with waxed paper. Press one raw almond on the top of each ball, slightly flattening the ball.
Now, place the entire tray in the fridge to allow the coconut oil to firm up.
Step Two: Melt, Dip, and Set
Next, melt your chocolate with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. I used the microwave method, by placing the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl (like a pyrex measuring cup). Then add the coconut oil and stir to distribute it throughout the chocolate chips.
Place the container in the microwave and heat in 30-second increments until the chocolate is soft. Stir to combine.
Once the coconut balls are firm, place them in melted chocolate. I use a fork so I can tap excess chocolate before transferring the dipped candy on the pan lined with waxed paper.
Once all the almond joys are dipped in chocolate, you can either allow the chocolate to set at room temperature or return the tray to the fridge and speed up the setting process.
What You’ll Love About Homemade Almond Joys
Homemade almond joy candy bars are a nice, sweet treat that has more than one purpose. These little chocolate bombs are double dippers. First, they satisfy your sweet tooth like nothing else! I mean, we are talking sweet, creamy coconut with an almond on top, covered in rich, dreamy dark chocolate. I have nothing to add to that.
Are Almond Joy Candy Recipe Healthy?
Can homemade copycat almond joy bars be healthy? I can speak from experience that after eating one (that’s right…just ONE) of these treats, I was full for quite awhile. It’s the fat from the coconut and the almond.
I’m not a fan of the hunger pang, and there’s nothing like a little fat to keep a person satisfied. Of course, I know a lot of people have been scared off of having fat in their diet. We can blame that on the 90s.
But here’s the deal. Scientists are continuing to study fat and its impact on satiety. and as a result we know that fat can be a good thing in the typical person’s diet. That means these Almond Joy Coconut Bites? They’re the kinds of satisfying treats to have.
Here’s the nutritional estimates for each almond joy ball:
Calories: 204 Carbs: 11g Protein: 2g Fat: 18g Fiber: 3g Net Carbs: 8g
If you want to reduce carbs even more and make keto almond joy bites, use something like monkfruit syrup in place of the agave nectar. That will reduce net carbs to 6g per bar.
Love Coconut Recipes?
If you love coconut recipes as much as we do, be sure to give these a try:
- This Vegan Coconut Cake is perfect for birthdays!
- Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream adds a nice touch to so many desserts or even a bowl of low carb raspberries!
- An amazing Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookie will transform lunchtime snacks!
- Make these Toasted Coconut Donuts for breakfast or brunch!
- Make more delicious coconut chocolate healthy treats with these Raw Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons.
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Almond Joy Coconut Bites
- Prepare a pan by placing a sheet of waxed paper over the top.
- Place the coconut in a food processor and pulse until it reaches a course flour-like consistency. Add the agave, stevia, 6 tablespoons of coconut oil and vanilla. Pulse again until all the ingredients are combined.
- The mixture will be sticky. Create 12-15 balls and place them on the waxed paper. Press one raw almond into the top of each. Place this pan in the fridge for about 10 minutes to allow the coconut oil to firm up.
- In the meantime, place the chocolate and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir for a bit to ensure all the chocolate is coated with the oil. Heat for about 30 seconds and remove and stir. If necessary, repeat this in 10-second increments until the chocolate is melted. Be careful not to burn it.
- Remove the coconut balls from the fridge and dip them in the chocolate, returning them back to the pan to dry. You can use a fork to dip the chocolate, but I used my fingers and dipped the bottom and then each side and the top into the chocolate. You have to work quickly because the coconut oil will begin to soften up.
- Place the tray in the fridge for about 20 minutes to allow the chocolate to set. However, if you have the time, place the tray in a cool, dry place and allow the chocolate to dry slowly.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Whatever chocolate coconut treat your tripping on, enjoy!