Make this tasty Vegan Breakfast Burrito and have a healthy breakfast option ready for days. This easy vegan breakfast recipe is perfect for meal prepping because it’s so easy to freeze burritos. Use gluten-free tortillas to make vegan gluten-free breakfast burritos!
I was tickled pink to write the book, Everything Vegan Meal Prep Cookbook because I love having lots of meals ready to reheat. I like to look at meal prepping as fixing several meals and then either freezing or fridging those meals to reheat throughout the week.
In my mind, there’s no better meal prepping recipe than these Vegan Breakfast Burritos. You’ll find lots of tofu scramble in each burrito topped with hash browns, and vegan cheese.
My tummy’s growling just looking at these photos!
What Tofu is Best for Breakfast Scrambles
Firm or extra-firm tofu is best for breakfast scrambles because it has a compact texture that produces the perfect mouth-feel. Tofu has a neutral flavor, allowing it to soak up the seasonings it’s cooked with. However, tofu comes packed in water, so pressing the packing water out of the tofu is the best way to make way for the flavors you’re about to cook it with. To press tofu, wrap it in a kitchen towel and place something heavy on it, like a pan or use a tofu press.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Tofu scramble is a perfect replacement for eggs and has a similar texture, providing firm, cheesy goodness in every bite
- Adding crispy hash browns creates a mixture of textures and flavors in these burritos
- Vegan cheddar shreds enhances the cheesy flavor and also helps hold the ingredients together.
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Tofu Scramble — Follow this recipe to make a tofu scramble.
- Vegetable oil
- Hash brown potatoes — You’ll need a package of frozen hash brown potatoes, or you can cup and chop your own from raw potatoes.
- Salt + Black pepper
- Tortillas — You’ll need six 10-inch flour tortillas.
- Vegan cheddar shreds — We use either Daiya or Follow Your Heart Vegan Cheddar Shreds.
How to Make Vegan Breakfast Burrito
It’s easy to make vegan breakfast burrito recipes! I’ve broken it down into basically three steps:
- Make the tofu scramble
- Make the hash browns
- Assemble the burritos.
Let’s get started!
Step One: Make the Tofu Scramble
You’ll want a block of extra firm tofu. If you’ve never purchased tofu before, this tofu recipe guide should help.
Give the tofu a light pressing, then place it in a skillet (the entire block) with a little bit of oil. Then use a spatula to begin breaking it into small pieces.
You’ll find as you cook the tofu that it begins releasing extra juices. This is good. Continue cooking and breaking the tofu into bite-size pieces, until all those juices are released, about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl combine the seasonings, including nutritional yeast. If this is another new ingredient, you can learn more about nutritional yeast recipes and how easy it is to add to many dishes!
Once the tofu is scrambled transfer it to a bowl and set aside. Wipe out your skillet because it’s time to move on to making the hash brown potatoes!
Step Two: Make Hash Brown Potatoes
The trick to making good hash browns having the skillet nice and hot. So, add oil to a skillet over medium to medium-high heat and allow it to heat up for a couple of minutes. Gently add the chopped potatoes, being careful to not splatter the oil.
Spread the potatoes across the skillet then let them sit for a few minutes until browned on one side. Once the potatoes are browned on one side, use a spatula to flip them. Cook them on the other side until browned. When the potatoes are done, remove the skillet from heat and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Step Three: Assemble Breakfast Burritos
Now comes the best part — assembling the burritos! Lay a tortilla flat in front of you. Distribute a layer of hash browns evenly in the center of the tortilla. Top with equal amounts of cheese and tofu scramble. Add any favorite add-ins here (see note below for ideas).
Quick Fix Tip
Make your breakfast burritos even faster by making them assembly-line style. To do this, place tortillas in a row. Then add hash browns to each one, followed by cheese, and scrambled tofu. Roll the tortillas into burrito shapes, and then wrap and freeze.
To fold the vegan tofu breakfast burrito, fold both sides in, and then turn the bottom half up over the top and roll tightly.
Storing Breakfast Burritos
To store the burritos, wrap each one individually in waxed paper. For the fridge, place them in an airtight container where they will keep 4 to 5 days. For the freezer, place wrapped burritos in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, place one on a plate. Cook in a microwave for 1 to 3 minutes on high, until heated through.
You can serve vegetarian breakfast burritos for breakfast, obviously. But they also make a great lunch or even dinner. I absolutely love breakfast for dinner any day of the week!
There are lots of tasty add-ins for your vegan breakfast burritos. Here are some of my favorites:
- Veggie Bacon. Add cut-up veggie bacon. Make tempeh bacon or use store-bought veggie bacon. Cook it according to package directions, allow it to cool, then crumble it over the hash browns.
- Red Bell Peppers. Chop up some red bell peppers to add to your tofu scramble. I recommend about 1/4 cup of chopped bell pepper for this recipe.
- Black Beans. Add 1/2 cup black beans to your veggie breakfast burritos.
- Salsa. A dollop of salsa on each burrito adds flavor.
- Green Onions. Add some chopped green onions either to the hash browns or tofu scramble.
- Vegan Sausage. There are many flavorful vegan sausages. When using storebought, cook it according to package directions. Or make your own veggie sausage crumbles.
Vegan Breakfast Recipes
Do you love vegan breakfasts? Me too! Here are some other great recipes to try:
Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- 1 batch Tofu Scramble
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 14 oz bag frozen hash brown potatoes (diced)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 10" flour tortillas
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- Make tofu scramble according to the directions in the recipe. Feel free to add ¼ chopped red bell pepper to the tofu scramble as it cooks.
- To make hash browns, add oil to a skillet over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until the skillet and oil are heated up. Add potatoes. Cook until potatoes are browned on both sides, about 10 minutes total. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Assemble burritos by distributing hash browns evenly in the center of each tortilla. Top with equal amounts of cheese and tofu scramble. Turn up sides of tortillas, then fold the bottom half up over the top and roll tightly. (See post photos).
- Let burritos cool for 10 minutes, then freeze burritos by wrapping each in waxed paper. Place in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, remove the burrito from the freezer and place it on a plate. Cook in a microwave or 3 minutes on high, until heated through.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.