Make this tasty Vegan Breakfast Burrito recipe and have a healthy breakfast option ready for days. This easy vegan breakfast recipe is perfect for meal prepping because it’s so easy to freeze burritos. Use gluten-free tortillas to make vegan gluten-free breakfast burritos!
I was tickled pink to write the book, Everything Vegan Meal Prep Cookbook because I love having lots of meals ready to reheat. I like to look at meal prepping as fixing several meals and then either freezing or fridging those meals to reheat throughout the week.
In my mind, there’s no better meal prepping recipe than these Vegan Breakfast Burritos. You’ll find lots of tofu scramble in each burrito topped with hash browns, and vegan cheese.
My tummy’s growling just looking at these photos!
How to Make Vegan Breakfast Burrito
It’s easy to make vegan breakfast burrito recipes! I’ve broken it down into basically three steps: Make the tofu scramble, make the hash browns, then assemble the burritos.
Let’s get started!
Step One: Make the Tofu Scramble
Oftentimes you’ll find scrambled eggs in a breakfast burrito. Of course, vegans don’t eat eggs from a chicken, although we’ve become quite creative at creating vegan eggs!
For example, tofu scramble is a popular replacement for scrambled chicken eggs. The scrambled tofu recipe for these breakfast burritos is easy to make and has a nice, cheesy flavor. That’s right, this is a vegan tofu burrito recipe!
You’ll want a block of extra firm tofu for these tofu burritos. If you’ve never purchased tofu before, this tofu recipe guide should help. That said, I can find extra firm tofu in the produce section of most grocery stores. You can also find it at health food stores as well.
Give the tofu a light pressing, then place it in a skillet (the entire block) with a little bit of oil. Then use a spatula to begin breaking it into small pieces.
You’ll find as you cook the tofu that it begins releasing extra juices. This is good. Continue cooking and breaking the tofu into bite-size pieces, until all those juices are released, about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl combine the seasonings, including nutritional yeast. If this is another new ingredient, you can learn more about nutritional yeast recipes and how easy it is to add to many dishes!
Once the tofu is scrambled transfer it to a bowl and set aside. Wipe out your skillet because it’s time to move on to making the hash brown potatoes!
Step Two: Make Hash Brown Potatoes
The trick to making good hash browns having the skillet nice and hot. So, add oil to a skillet over medium to medium-high heat and allow it to heat up for a couple of minutes. Gently add the chopped potatoes, being careful not to let the oil splatter.
Spread the potatoes across the skillet then let them sit for a few minutes until browned on one side. That’s the second tip to good hash browns: letting them cook until browned before using a spatula to flip them.
Once your potatoes are browned on one side, use a spatula to flip the potatoes and cook on the other side until browned. When the potatoes are done, remove the skillet from heat and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Step Three: Assemble Breakfast Burritos
Now comes the best part of vegetarian breakfast burrito recipes — assembling the burritos! Lay a tortilla flat in front of you. Distribute a layer of hash browns evenly in the center of the tortilla. Top with equal amounts of cheese and tofu scramble. Add any favorite add-ins here (see note below for ideas).
Quick Fix Tip
Make your breakfast burritos even faster by making them assembly-line style! Simply place tortillas in a row. Then add a little bit of hash browns to each one, followed by cheese, and scrambled tofu. Roll the tortillas into burrito shapes, and then wrap and freeze!
To fold the vegan tofu breakfast burrito, fold both sides in, and then turn the bottom half up over the top and roll tightly.
Storing Breakfast Burritos
Let the tofu scramble burritos cool around 10 minutes. You can store them in the fridge by wrapping each one individually in waxed paper or store in an airtight container. These will keep 4–5 days in the fridge.
I know you’ll see some recipes recommending to wrap them in foil. I don’t like doing that because the foil cannot be used in a microwave. It’s one reason I prefer waxed paper.
To make vegan freezer breakfast burritos, wrap each one in waxed paper. Then, place wrapped burritos in a freezer bag and freeze up to 2 months.
To reheat a tofu scramble breakfast burrito, remove the vegan breakfast wrap burrito from the fridge or freezer and place it on a plate. Cook in a microwave for 1–3 minutes on high, until heated through.
You can serve vegetarian breakfast burritos for breakfast, obviously. But they also make a great lunch or even dinner. I absolutely love breakfast for dinner any day of the week!
Vegan Breakfast Burrito Add-Ins
There’s lots of tasty add-ins for your meatless breakfast burritos. Here are some of my favorites:
- Veggie Bacon. I love adding cut-up veggie bacon. You can make your own or use store-bought veggie bacon. Simply cook it according to package directions, allow it to cool, then crumble over the hash browns.
- Red Bell Peppers. Chop up some red bell peppers to add to your tofu scramble. I recommend about 1/4 cup of chopped bell pepper for this recipe.
- Black Beans. Add 1/2 cup black beans or a layer of this Black Bean Dip to your veggie breakfast burritos
- Salsa. A dollop of salsa on each burrito would be a nice touch
- Green Onions. Add some chopped green onions either to the hash browns or tofu scramble.
- Vegan Sausage. There are so many flavorful vegan sausages these days that you can add to this recipe. So buy it at the store and cook it according to package directions, or make your own veggie sausage crumbles.
Vegan Breakfast Recipes
Do you love vegan breakfasts? Me too! Here are some other great recipes to try:
- This Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole is a huge hit and has easy make-ahead tips
- Make this Tofu Breakfast Bowl for a low carb, protein-rich breakfast
- These Whole Wheat Waffles have fiber thanks to the whole wheat
- When you’re ready for indulging, make these tasty Peanut Butter Muffins.
- Here are some more Nutritional Yeast Recipes you’ll love!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- 1 batch Tofu Scramble
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 14 oz bag frozen hash brown potatoes (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 10" flour tortillas
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- Make tofu scramble according to the directions in the recipe. Feel free to add 1/4 chopped red bell pepper to the tofu scramble as it cooks.
- To make hash browns, add oil to a skillet over medium-high heat for 2 – 3 minutes, until the skillet and oil is heated up. Add potatoes. Cook until potatoes are browned on both sides, about 10 minutes total. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Assemble burritos by distributing hash browns evenly in the center of each tortilla. Top with equal amounts of cheese and tofu scramble. Turn up sides of tortillas, then fold bottom half up over the top and roll tightly. (See post photos).
- Let burritos cool 10 minutes, then freeze burritos by wrapping each in waxed paper. Place in a freezer bag and freeze up to 2 months. To reheat, remove burrito from freezer and place on a plate. Cook in a microwave or 3 minutes on high, until heated through.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.