The Best Vegan Easy Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe creates a creamy chocolate pudding topped with a remarkably dense, fudgy chocolate cake. Hot Pudding Cake is a simple dessert recipe with minimal steps and ingredients. Also known as Hot Fudge Cake, this vegan cake recipe comes together with easy steps and is a crowd favorite. Easy Chocolate Desserts are the best go-to recipes!
Inspiration comes from many sources. It could be reading an article, taking a walk, eating vegan comfort food or crossing something off your bucket list like visiting the Grand Canyon. I did a little of each this week. Maybe that’s why I was inspired to make old fashioned Chocolate Pudding Cake recipes. Or maybe it just sounded good. It’s hard to say.
Of course, it’s not just any cake. One could refer to it as the grand canyons of cakes, but you might have to try it first and let me know if that title works.
What are Hot Fudge Pudding Cake Recipes?
Hot chocolate pudding cakes are made when chocolate cake batter is topped with hot water and baked. The chocolate cake puddings sink to the bottom and you’re left with an incredibly moist cake on top with a layer of hot fudge or chocolate pudding at the bottom.
I love this description in Fine Cooking about the history of baked chocolate pudding cakes. In fact, these quick chocolate desserts have been around for quite awhile, dating back to the 1800s.
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Pudding Cake
Wondering how to make pudding cake? Well, it’s pretty easy! Begin by using these ingredients to make this delicious vegan chocolate pudding cake from scratch:
- coconut sugar
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- plant-based milk
- brown sugar
- vegan butter, melted
It’s a simple list of ingredients for this hot fudge cake recipe. That’s one of the reasons people love it so much.
Follow these steps for this chocolate sauce cake:
Step One: Make the Cake Base
Stir together flour, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine plant-based milk, vanilla, and melted butter. Pour the butter mixture over the flour mixture and stir until combined. Press this into a greased baking dish.
You can use a 9″ square baking dish or a 2 quart casserole dish for this easy pudding cake recipe.
Step Two: Create the Chocolate Pudding Sauce
Stir together the cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and brown sugar in a bowl. Sprinkle this over the cake batter in the casserole dish. Do not stir!
Make sure your water is good and hot (boiling works here too). Pour the hot water over the top. Again, do not stir!
Step Three: Bake
Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for 30 – 35 minutes. Voila!
Top each slice with a little touch of vegan whipped cream and shaved chocolate. Your guests will be impressed!
Love Easy Chocolate Desserts?
This recipe for pudding cake is pretty amazing. If you love the best chocolate desserts, you’ll definitely want to check these out:
- Vegan Chocolate Chia Pudding is the essence of simplicity and healthy treats
- This Vegan Double Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake will amaze you in both flavor and ease of making it!
- Of course, Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are a favorite
- Make Easy Vegan Chocolate Croissants in minutes!
- These Vegan Chocolate Brownies are loved by vegans and non-vegans alike
- This tasty Vegan Flan with caramel sauce is oh so good!
- Be sure to drizzle a little Date Caramel Sauce over your favorite chocolate desserts!
- For a healthy twist, try these Easy Healthy Brownies!
Can Desserts be Healthy?
Keeping desserts simple, yet elegant is important. Here are a couple of tips to make this dessert healthier too:
- Use a sweetener in place of the granulated sugar that you feel good about. For example Stevia is a no-calorie sweetener that works for some people. You may also consider coconut sugar.
- Try whole wheat pastry flour in place of all purpose flour. There’s not much difference in texture and the added fiber is beneficial. According to Dr. Ornish’s on whole wheat flours, “Whole grain flours are a healthier choice over refined white flour because they contain more fiber and nutrients.”
That’s it for this chocolate cake with pudding recipe! It’s a favorite recipe I love to make on the spur of the moment because it doesn’t have a lot of difficult ingredients and it’s so delicious too!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Chocolate Pudding Cake
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9" square or 2 quart casserole baking dish with vegetable spray.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- In a separate small bowl stir together milk, vanilla, and melted butter. Pour this mixture over the flour mixture and stir to combine. Press this batter into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. It will be thick so use a spatula or your fingers to press it evenly across the bottom of the dish.
Chocolate Pudding Sauce
- Place the brown sugar in a bowl. Use a fork or a whisk to break up any lumps in the sugar. Add cocoa pwder and chocolate chips and stir to combine. Sprinkle this evenly over the top of the batter in the baking dish. Don't stir.
- Make sure the water is good and hot (boiling works too). Pour the hot water over the top. Do not stir. Carefully transfer the baking dish to the preheated oven and bake for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 – 15 minutes before serving. Top each serving with vegan whipped cream or vegan ice cream and drizzle some of the chocolate sauce.