These spicy veggie chorizo burgers are perfect for grilling. Serve them with buns and your favorite toppings, like tomatoes, vegan mayo, and more!
I grew up in a small town in rural Missouri. Chorizo Burgers never quite made it to the menu there so that means today I’m publishing a recipe for Veggie Chorizo Burgers that I’ve never had in its original form. It seems odd to be adapting something that I’ve never tried. Can you rehabilitate that which was never habilitated in the first place? It’s deep stuff here, but I think we can get through this. My thought is this, I know great taste when I’m eating it and these spicy, tangy Veggie Chorizo Burgers are plum full of greatness.
I talk to myself a lot…but mostly when I think no one’s watching. The other day I was deep in self discussion when I turned to see my husband staring right at me. Where are my earbuds when I need them? At least then I could have pretended to be talking to someone else.
Oh well. He was thoroughly amused and you know? Sometimes you just have to laugh with yourself.
As you might be able to tell from the photos, we grilled these veggie burgers. A lot of homemade veggie burgers don’t hold up well on the grill, but these do. And adding a little bit of char to these mildly spicy burgers is just icing on the cake. Hmm, maybe I need to find a different metaphor. Pickles on a burger?
I’ll keep working on it.
I made some hummus to use as the mayo – pick any hummus you like. It’s a perfect, healthy alternative to mayo.
Not only did my handsome hubby grill the burgers, but he also did a pretty good job as the model in these photos too!
Vegan Grilling Recipes
Summertime means grilling, so if you’re looking for a good veggie grillin’ burger, these Veggie Chorizo Burgers might just be the thing! You can find veggie chorizo in the refrigerated section of most health food stores. Just look in the section next to the tofu and faux lunch meats. And if you’re having family or friends over, these would be the burgers to serve. Your peeps might be surprised to learn veggie can taste so good!
Vegan Chorizo Burgers
- 1 cup black beans , drained
- 10 oz vegan chorizo such as Yves Veggie Chorizo
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons dried chopped onions
- Add the black beans to a bowl and use a spoon to mash them.
- Add the vegan chorizo, bread crumbs, and dehydrated onions. Stir it until it's combined. Press into burger patties.
- When you're ready to cook the burgers, prepare your grill by firing it up. These are vegan burgers so you can cook at a little lower temperature.
- Spray both sides of the burgers with vegetable spray and place on the grill over direct medium heat. Cook the burgers for about 5 minutes and then flip to cook the other side.
- Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings, including sliced tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, hummus, and a side of coleslaw.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2014 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.