Looking to add a little healthy to your day? This Green Tea Banana Smoothie is loaded with phytonutrients. That covers the healthy bases, but you’ll also love the deliciousness that comes along for the ride!
I’ve been a fan of the green smoothie going way back to the day when I first read about it in Dr. Fuhrman’s book, Eat to Live. Dr. Fuhrman talks a lot about the concepts of nutrient density. It makes sense — get the most nutrients you can from the fewest amount of calories and you’ll be on the right track.
But I really struggled with the whole spinach thing. I had flashbacks to my first experience with it as a child. My mom never served this stuff so my first encounter was when I had dinner at a friend’s house. It was a big, hot, slimy mess on my plate and my friends’ mother was the kind of person who insisted on everyone cleaning their plate. You know those kinds of people? However, there was no amount of crossed arms/furrowed brows on her part that would get me to eat that stuff. She eventually gave me a guest pass and let me leave the table.
I never wanted to look at spinach again, let alone eat it. Until the green smoothie arrived in my life.
Let’s all sing our praises to the green smoothie!
Why You’ll Love This Green Tea Double Banana Spinach Smoothie
Look, I think we’re all after the same thing — whether vegan, paleo, vegetarian, pescetarian, frutarian, or whatever arian you are — we’re all trying to do the things to feel our best. We want energy and vibrancy. Clear headedness. Good digestion.
If you fit into this category too, then you’ll love this smoothie. It’s loaded with so many good-for-you nutrients and phytochemicals, for example:
- vitamins A, B6, C, E and K
- flavonoids (an antioxidant)
That’s an impressive list, but it’s only the highlight reel. There are SO many healthy benefits to this smoothie!
Of course, healthy is only one part of the equation. It doesn’t mean much if it doesn’t taste great. Just ask my inner eight-year old sitting at my friend’s dinner table! But the good news is, this smoothie is so smooth and delicious, I was scraping the blender with the spatula to get every last drop. Delicious!
Also, this Green Tea Double Banana Spinach Smoothie is a perfect way to start out the day because green tea is a great metabolism booster! That’s right. Dr. Gregor explains more about the effect that green tea (and other flavonoid-rich foods) can have on fat-burning. I don’t know about you, but I’m for a little metabolism boost in the morning!
I could talk about this smoothie all day, but why talk when we can DO!
This recipe has less than 10 ingredients and can be whipped together in less than 10 minutes. That means you can throw this together in the morning and be zipping on your way to work in no time!
The only problem you might have is dealing with all the annoying questions from people asking why you’ve got such a pep in your step!
My favorite smoothie tip involves the clean-up. When you’ve scraped the goodness from the blender, go ahead and add some soapy hot water, put on the lid, and blend that for a second or two. Then scrub any necessary parts and give it a rinse and you’re done!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do. If you give it a try, take a photo and share it with #namelymarly on Instagram or Twitter. We love seeing your photos!
- 1 tablespoon raw cashew pieces (or ½ cup plant-based milk)
- 1 Green Tea Bag (I used Kirkland's Japanese Green Tea)
- 2 bananas
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup ice
- Place the cashew pieces (or plant-based milk) in a cup along with ½ cup of water and the green tea bag (Kirkland's tea bags work in cold water). Allow the tea to steep for about 5 minutes)
- In the meantime, place the peeled bananas and the spinach in a blender. When the tea is ready (you'll know when it gets nice and green), pour the tea and the cashew pieces into a blender. Pulse. Remove the lid and push down ingredients from the side of the blender. Blend again. You may need to repeat this step several times. Once everything is roughly blended, switch the blender to high until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Add the ice and pulse again until the ice is pulverized.
- Pour into a glass (or glasses) and serve immediately.