This vegan minestrone soup is a go-to favorite because it’s loaded with vegetables and beans and perfect for meal-prepping. Make this hearty vegan minestrone soup recipe today and serve it with your favorite bread or crackers. This is a gluten-free recipe and part of our easy vegan recipes series.
I like to make this Italian minestrone soup when I’m meal prepping because it lends leftovers throughout the week.
That’s my favorite way to do meal prepping — make several recipes on the weekend and enjoy them throughout the week.
Is minestrone soup vegan?
Many minestrone soups are not vegan because sometimes they add meat and even if they don’t have meat, many of them use a meat-based broth.
However, it was easy to make this minestrone soup vegan by using vegetable broth and using vegetables.
What I love About This Italian Vegetable Soup
This is the best minestrone soup recipe and we love it so much we make it on repeat! As a result, we have a lot of variations in the way we make it.
To make a vegetarian minestrone soup, we use chopped carrots, canned tomatoes, chopped potatoes, and beans.
Most minestrone recipes call for pasta, and we oftentimes will make it with pasta too, but for today’s recipe we used quinoa. It’s great to make a soup with quinoa because it cooks quickly and adds protein to the dish.
How to make Vegan Minestrone
To make vegetable minestrone, cook chopped onion in a pot with olive oil over medium heat. Cook until the onions are tender then add the minced garlic.
Then add broth, water, chopped carrots, chopped potatoes, diced tomatoes, and quinoa. Stir this together and then add 2 bay leaves and bring it to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook the soup for 20 minutes or so until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
Then add the corn, beans, and seasonings. Right before serving I like to add a little bit of cornstarch (by combining with with a little bit of water first). That will create a thicker soup. Alternatively, you can mash up a few of the beans to make a thicker soup as well.
Serve this vegetable soup with Vegan Cornbread. If you love vegan Italian recipes, be sure and check out my Vegan Lasagna. It’s such a simple recipe and so delicious! You’ll also love my simple Vegan Macaroni Casserole! Then there’s also my Meatless Baked Ziti recipe. And for a great Italian side, be sure and make my vegan Garlic Breadsticks.
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Minestrone Quinoa Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 cups chopped carrots
- 4-5 russet potatoes washed and chopped into cubes
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 15 oz can corn
- 2 15 oz cans light or dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste the vegetable stock might be enough
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the chopped garlic and cook for another minute.
- Next add the vegetable broth, water, chopped carrots, chopped potatoes, diced tomatoes, and quinoa. Give it a stir and add the 2 bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to maintain a low simmer for about 20 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
- Once the carrots are tender, add the corn, juice and all, kidney beans, basil, oregano, and pepper. Salt to taste.
- When the soup is just about done, combine 1 tablespoon corn starch with 4 tablespoons of water. Stir to combine and pour into the soup. Bring it back to a simmer for a minute or two to allow the soup to thicken.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving with bread of your choice.