This easy Vegan Garlic Bread recipe is the ultimate in buttery, garlicky, bread to serve with your favorite vegan dinners and lunches. You’ll love this toasted bread infused with garlic and herbs.
I love making vegan garlic toast for special occasions, but it’s also perfect for a weeknight dinner as well. Are you into meal prepping like me? I love making a batch of this bread on a Sunday afternoon. Then all I have to do is reheat a slice or two in the toaster oven to serve with meals throughout the week.
Cut your slices nice and thick to make this just like Vegan Texas Toast.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Raw garlic is cooked briefly to tame the strong flavor it can imbue when raw
- Adding chilled butter to the cooked garlic/butter mixture creates a spread. That’s because a vegan garlic bread spread goes more evenly across the top of the bread slices. Whereas melted butter is too easily absorbed by the bread slices.
- The perfect blend of herbs makes this bread both tasty and colorful!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Baguette — I used 2 whole-grain baguettes (the whole grain baguettes are smaller, so 2 equaled the size of one regular baguette)
- Vegan butter — Any spreadable vegan butter or margarine works, or you can make your own dairy-free butter.
- Garlic — You’ll need 2 to 3 cloves of fresh garlic or use several tender cloves from garlic confit.
- Vegan parmesan — Go Veggie Parmesan or Daiya grated Vegan Parmesan are brands of plant-based parmesan. You can find these at health food stores or sometimes the health food aisle of local grocery stores. Or you can make homemade vegan parmesan.
- Herbs — You’ll need some dried oregano and parsley. Use either fresh or dried parsley.
- Salt — A little bit of salt makes a big impact on the flavor of this bread.
What Bread is Best for Garlic Bread?
Baguettes are best for vegan garlic bread because they are most often made without animal products. You can buy baguettes of varying sizes and lengths. You can even find whole-grain baguettes which are much healthier thanks to their added fiber. Select baguettes that are the right thickness for your tastes. I prefer thick baguettes that leave plenty of space for smearing vegan garlic butter on top!
How to Make Vegan Garlic Bread
So, let’s get to how to prepare this best vegan garlic bread. It’s really a very easy process that will have you enjoying this bread very soon.
- Cook vegan butter and minced garlic in a microwave for 30 seconds to soften the garlic. Set it aside to cool slightly.
- Add the remaining butter, vegan parmesan, oregano, salt, and chopped parsley and stir to combine.
- Spread butter mixture over the top of each baguette slice. Place buttered slices on a prepared pan.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Then turn on the broiler and move the pan up to the top rack and cook for 1 to 3 minutes, until the bread is toasted.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the toast to cool slightly. Serve warm.
Here are more detailed step-by-step instructions.
Step One: Make Vegan Garlic Spread
In a small, microwave-safe bowl add 1 tablespoon butter and minced garlic. Microwave for 30 seconds to soften the garlic. Allow to cool slightly, then add the remaining butter, vegan parmesan, herbs, and salt. Stir this all together.
There’s a reason we’re cooking the garlic with some of the butter in the microwave. Garlic can easily be too strong and cooking garlic, even briefly, helps to tame some of those tendencies.
Alternatively, you can make homemade vegan parmesan cheese with only a few, simple ingredients. It works great either way.
Step Two: Butter the Bread Slices
Slice the baguette into 16 even slices. Use a butter knife to spread the vegan garlic butter over the top of each slice of bread.
Place buttered slices — buttered side up — on the prepared pan.
Place the pan in the center rack of the heated oven and bake for 8 minutes. Then, turn on the broiler and move the pan up to the top rack and cook for 1 to 3 minutes, until the bread is toasted.
Be sure to keep your eye on the toast as it cooks. The goal is to get the bread toasted a nice, golden brown.
Remove from the oven and allow the toast to cool slightly. Serve warm.
How to Make Garlic Bread Without Butter
You can make garlic-infused bread without butter by substituting olive oil for vegan butter. Simply use a pastry brush to brush the olive oil mixture evenly across each slice of bread. Then follow the instructions in this recipe to toast the bread.
Garlic bread with olive oil is delicious served beside a favorite salad, such as this Vegan Cobb Salad.
What kind of bread is vegan?
Bread is a grain-based food so many types of bread are vegan. However, some breads do use milk and/or eggs, which are not suitable ingredients for a vegan diet. Therefore, be sure to read the labels. For example, most sourdough bread is vegan.
Are baguettes vegan?
Most French Loaves, bagels, baguettes, and even whole grain baguettes are made without dairy and eggs. This is great news! You can serve whole-grain baguettes with your favorite recipes.
Is garlic bread vegan?
Most garlic bread you see in a store is not vegan. In fact, I did some research and couldn’t find a store-bought garlic bread that was dairy-free. This is because they’re made with cow milk-based butter and cheeses. That’s why it’s good to have this vegan Italian bread recipe so you can make your own. That said, some restaurants or stores may use olive oil to make their bread, so be sure to read the ingredients.
What goes best with garlic bread?
Obviously, the best choice is to serve garlic bread with your favorite vegan Italian dishes, such as Vegan Baked Ziti. However, you can also serve it with Pinto Bean Soup, Vegan Chili, Lentil Soup, and more. Almost every savory dish can be made even better with crusty, buttery, garlic-infused bread beside it.
Is garlic vegan?
Garlic is vegan because it’s entirely plant-based. In fact, I love cooking with garlic because it adds lots of delicious flavors to my vegan recipes.
Vegan Garlic Bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a sheet of parchment paper over a large baking pan. Cut loaf into 16 slices.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl add 1 tablespoon butter and minced garlic. Microwave for 30 seconds to soften the garlic. Allow to cool slightly, then add remaining butter, vegan parmesan, oregano, salt, and chopped parsley. Stir to combine.
- Spread butter mixture over the top of each slice. Place buttered slices on prepared pan.
- Bake on center rack for 8 minutes. Turn on the broiler and move the pan up to the top rack and cook for 1 to 3 minutes, until the bread is toasted.
- Remove from the oven and allow the toast to cool slightly. Serve warm.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.