I’ve seen a lot of recipes for zucchini bread. Chocolate zucchini bread. Cinnamon-spiced zucchini bread. Carrot zucchini bread. You name it. But what about a savory zucchini bread? Those are not as easy to come by…until now. If you’re into savory bread recipes, check out my Artisan Vegan Fig and Walnut Bread. Or how about this Vegan Cheesy Pull-Apart Bread.
But I had never seen a recipe for savory zucchini bread. At least not until one day recently when I was standing in line at the grocery store check-out.
I do that a lot…stand in line at the grocery store check-out.
I wish they had an Olympic sport for that, because I think I could win a gold medal!
I can unload my cart, scan magazine headlines for recipes, catch up on the latest celebrity gossip and day dream about what new candy bar I should try to veganize all at the same time.
It was on one such trip that I spied a recipe for Savory Zucchini Bread. It was merely a headline, but the idea of it had me hooked. So I started playing around with the idea a little more, until I finally had to make a loaf (or two) myself.
What You’ll Love About Savory Zucchini Bread
“Fresh and Fabulous.” I thought to myself. That’s what I want this recipe to be!
Because this quick bread includes so many fresh ingredients, like basil, zucchini, and tomatoes, you know the outcome is going to be pretty spectacular. It took me several tries to get this recipe just right, but it was well worth the effort.
If you’ve got a bumper crop of zucchini or know someone who does (or just happen to have one in your fridge), this is a great recipe to surprise your family with.
This Recipe is Asking For it
You know what? This recipe is just asking for some changes. That’s not because it’s bad in its current condition, but because it doesn’t reflect you. I always feel like the best recipe is the one you personalize for yourself. So, you may want to make this savory zucchini bread as is, or you may want to change things up a bit. If you’re curious, here are some suggestions I’d make for changing this recipe up a bit:
- If you don’t have fresh basil, just use a teaspoon of dried basil
- Why not try leeks instead of scallions?
- A half cup or so of chopped pecans might be nice
- Sprinkling the top before you bake it with some Vegan Parmesan would be tasty
- This is not a change to the recipe per se, but chop up a slice or two of this bread, toast it, and break into pieces and serve as croutons on your next salad or soup. It’s very tasty!
I could go on all day, but hopefully that’s enough to get you started.
We hope you love this recipe for vegan savory zucchini bread as much as we do. If you decide to make it, share a photo with us using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your creations!
Vegan Savory Zucchini Bread
- 3 cups flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium tomato
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped
- ½ cup scallions chopped
- 1 cup water**
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 thin slices tomato
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with a light coating of vegetable spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cut off the top of the zucchini. Discard. Then roughly chop the remaining and place in a food processor. Pulse a few seconds.
- Roughly chop the tomato, basil leaves, and scallions. Add these to the food processor. Pulse for several seconds. Use a spatula to push any pieces in the side of the bowl down. Pulse again, until shredded. Add the water, apple cider vinegar and vegetable oil. Pulse again to combine.
- Pour the contents from the food processor into the mixing bowl with the flour. Stir until just combined.**
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Top with the 3 tomato slices.
- Place in heated oven and bake for 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. The top of the loaf should be a golden brown.
Here’s some other sites with great zucchini bread recipes you might want to try:
- Vegan Zucchini Pecan Bread
- Simply Recipes’ Zucchini Bread
- 101 Cookbook’s Zucchini Bread
- Carrot-Zucchini Bread
Whatever zucchini bread you’re slicing, enjoy!
Note: We recently updated this post with new photos and some fresh content. Here’s an example of one of the old photos.