This savory zucchini bread recipe combines zucchinis, tomatoes, and lots of delicious flavors in tasty savory bread. This quick bread is easy to make and a perfect summer bread for your favorite vegan dishes.
I’ve seen a lot of recipes for zucchini bread. Chocolate zucchini bread. Cinnamon-spiced zucchini bread. Carrot zucchini bread. You name it. But what about savory breads? I wondered if it was possible to make zucchini bread savory? Or would it be a complete flop!
Savory quick breads recipes are not that easy to come by…until now. If you’re into savory bread recipes, check out my Artisan Vegan Fig and Walnut Bread. Or how about this Vegan Cheesy Pull-Apart Bread.
But I had never seen a recipe for savory zucchini bread. At least not until one day recently when I was standing in line at the grocery store check-out.
I do that a lot…stand in line at the grocery store check-out. They should have an Olympic sport for that, because I think I could win a gold medal!
I can unload my cart, scan magazine headlines for recipes, catch up on the latest celebrity gossip and day dream about what new candy bar I should try to veganize all at the same time.
It was on one such trip that I spied a recipe for Savory Zucchini Bread. It was merely a headline, but the idea of it had me hooked. So I started playing around with the idea a little more, until I finally had to make a loaf (or two) myself.
Of course, my next challenge was to make savory zucchini bread vegan!
What Zucchinis are Best
Select zucchinis that have smooth skin that’s thin. To tell if the skin is thin enough, scrape a little bit with your fingernail. It should come off easily. Zucchinis with pitted skin are older and not as fresh. Select smaller zucchini, around 6 inches in size. Large zucchini may look nice, but they can be bitter and watery.
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Flour — You can use all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, or a combination of these.
- Baking powder + Baking soda
- Fresh basil
- Scallions — Otherwise known as green onions, these provide the perfect mellow flavor for this bread.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Vegetable oil
- Tomato — I like adding 3 thin slices of tomato on top before it’s baked but this is optional.
How to Make Vegan Savory Zucchini Bread
It’s easy to make Vegan Savory Zucchini Bread! Begin with heating your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with a light coating of vegetable spray.
- Stir together dry ingredients from the flour to the salt.
- Prepare the zucchini by cutting off the top of the zucchini, chopping, and placing it in a food processor. Pulse a few seconds.
- Prepare the veggies by chopping the tomato, basil leaves, and scallions. Add these to the food processor and pulse for several seconds.
- Add the water, apple cider vinegar and vegetable oil and pulse again to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the mixing bowl with the flour and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan. Top with the 3 tomato slices.
- Bake for 70 to 80 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. The top of the loaf should be a golden brown.
You can add up to 1/2 cup vegan cheese shreds to make zucchini cheese bread.
I took a chance and made this for a brunch without trying it first. It was a huge hit! My vegan friends just raved about this bread. I loved it as well!Cali
Store the bread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. It can be frozen in freezer-safe containers or bags for up to 2 months.
Here are ideas for serving this savory zucchini bread recipe:
- Side Dish — Cut it into slices and serve like you would any bread alongside a bowl of soup
- Grilled Cheese — Add a slice of vegan cheese on top and melt it in a toaster oven
- Croutons — Cut slices into cubes and toast them until crispy. They’re delicious croutons on your favorite salads!
If you love tasty zucchini recipes, be sure to check these out:
We hope you love this recipe for vegan savory zucchini bread as much as we do.
Vegan Savory Zucchini Bread
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (see note)
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium tomato
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped
- ½ cup green onions chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup vegan cheddar shreds
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Spray a loaf pan with a light coating of vegetable spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cut off the top of the zucchini. Discard. Then roughly chop the remaining and place in a food processor. Pulse a few seconds.
- Roughly chop the tomato, basil leaves, and scallions. Add these to the food processor. Pulse for several seconds. Use a spatula to push any pieces in the side of the bowl down. Pulse again, until shredded. Add the water, apple cider vinegar and vegetable oil. Pulse again to combine.
- Pour the contents from the food processor into the mixing bowl with the flour. Stir until combined. Then gently stir in the cheese.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Place in the heated oven and bake for 70 to 75 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. The top of the loaf should be a golden brown.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2010 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2020.