Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Chocolate Chips is a delicious, easy cake recipe with a moist texture and fabulous flavor. Zucchini Chocolate Cake creates a moist chocolate cake that also happens to be vegan (made dairy-free and egg-free). Imagine the best zucchini cake topped with a creamy chocolate frosting! See my instructions for making this vegetable chocolate cake gluten-free as well.
I love a delicious, eggless chocolate zucchini cake. I knew I wanted to make this zucchini cake chocolate so it would be a go-to dessert. Recipes for chocolate zucchini cake should also be moist, and in my opinion, include chocolate chips.
If it’s hard to imagine zucchini in a cake, just imagine a moist cake with a silky chocolate frosting. It’s a great summertime dessert!
How to Make Chocolate Zucchini Cake
There are plenty of moist chocolate zucchini cake recipes that include both eggs and dairy. However, this easy zucchini cake recipe is made with no eggs and no dairy and still boasts a fabulous flavor and moist texture.
This zucchini chocolate cake recipe combines both chocolate and zucchini to make the best cake ever! Here are the steps to make it:
Step One: Mix Dry Ingredients Together
To begin, mix flour with baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir it all together to combine. Set aside.
Step Two: Stir together Wet Ingredients
In a separate bowl add the melted vegan butter, vegetable oil, sugar, almond milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla. Stir this all together to combine. Set aside.
Step Three: Prepare the Zucchini
Cut off the root ends of the zucchini and use a shredder to shred it. Use a paper towel to gently press the zucchini (not trying to get out all the liquid, just some).
Step Four: Combine the Batter Ingredients
Add the wet ingredients to the flour along with the grated zucchini and stir until it’s all combined. Then add chocolate chips.
Step Five: Bake
Pour the batter into a prepared pan and then bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Insert a tester in the center. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, let it continue baking for another 5 minutes or so. Do not overbake.
Once the cake is done, let it cool completely before frosting.
You’ll definitely want to include frosting on this cake, although it’s always an option to sprinkle it with powdered sugar. It’s just that the frosting adds a nice layer of moisture and flavor.
These are the steps to make this chocolate frosting:
Step One: Cream the Butter
To prepare the chocolate frosting, add vegan butter in a mixing bowl. Use a mixer and beat on medium speed for a minute or two, until light and creamy.
Step Two: Add Powdered Sugar
Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time and continue beating.
Step Three: Add Cocoa Powder + Milk + Vanilla
Then beat in the cocoa powder. Finally, add the milk and vanilla and beat again until the frosting is nice and smooth.
Once the cake has been removed from the oven and cooled, top with the chocolate frosting.
See? This recipe for chocolate zucchini cake vegan is pretty simple to make!
Use these expert tips to make vegan zucchini cake perfect every time:
- Once you combine the flour with the wet ingredients, be sure not to overmix the batter
- Allow the baked cake to cool completely before frosting
- Store the cake in the fridge for up to 5 days
- I used 2 medium zucchinis to make 2 cups of shredded zucchini
- Press the zucchini a little before adding it to the batter
- Use vegan butter to make this dairy-free zucchini cake recipe. I used Earth Balance.
- This is a chocolate chip zucchini cake, so be sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips such as the Enjoy Life brand.
- Make sure your vegan butter is soft — you can allow it to sit on the counter for at least 30 minutes
- I used almond milk, but you can sub in soy or cashew milk or any plant-based milk you prefer
- This is a healthy zucchini cake thanks to the use of whole wheat pastry flour and zucchinis are very healthy too
- To make this recipe gluten-free, substitute gluten-free baking flour for the flour.
- The recipe calls for squeezing the zucchini just a bit. You want to take advantage of the moisture provided, but not too much of it.
- To store this cake, keep it covered and refrigerated. It will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Individual slices can be frozen and transferred to freezer bags.
This is the best chocolate zucchini cake recipe ever and you can make it and share it with friends and family any day of the week.
More Vegan Chocolate Recipes
If you love dairy-free chocolate recipes, you should know you have lots of delicious options! Here are some of our favorite chocolate desserts:
- This Vegan Chocolate Chia Pudding recipe is a healthy treat
- Of course, these Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are gooey and yummy!
- These Vegan Brownies are a go-to favorite every time
- This Vegan Chocolate Frosting is simply amazing on everything and it even provides a low carb, Keto option
- Combine bananas and peanut butter into the mix and you’ll love this Vegan Chunky Monkey Cake recipe
- For a healthy twist, try these Chocolate Banana Brownies
- Finally, for a super easy dessert, try this Chocolate Dump Cake that’s both elegant and delicious!
Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Cake
For the Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter , melted
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a 9×13 baking pan by coating it with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, starch, cocoa, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, butter, sugar, milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Cut off the root ends of the zucchini and use a shredder to shred. Use a paper towel to gently press the zucchini (not trying to get out all the liquid, just some).
- Pour the oil mixture and the shredded zucchini in with the flour mixture and stir to combine. Add chocolate chips and stir until just combined. Don't overmix!
- Use a spatula to spread the batter evenly across the prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Insert a tester in the middle of the cake. When it comes out clean, the cake is done. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare the frosting by adding softened butter in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, then cocoa powder. Finally, add the milk, one tablespoon at a time, and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- When the cake has cooled, spread with Chocolate Frosting.
- To store cake, cover and keep refrigerated. It will keep up to 5 days in the fridge.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Here are the recipes mentioned in this post: