Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Chocolate Chips is a delicious, easy cake recipe with a moist texture and fabulous flavor. This is a moist chocolate cake recipe that also happens to be vegan (made dairy-free and egg-free). Imagine the best zucchini cake topped with a creamy chocolate frosting! See my instructions for making this chocolate cake gluten free as well.
How to Make Chocolate Zucchini Cake
There are plenty of chocolate zucchini cake recipes that include both eggs and dairy. However, this easy zucchini cake recipe is made with no eggs and no dairy and still boasts fabulous flavor and moist texture.
This recipe combines both chocolate and zucchini to make the best cake ever! To begin, mix flour with baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
In a separate bowl add the melted vegan butter, vegetable oil, sugar, almond milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
Add the wet ingredients to the flour along with the grated zucchini to the flour and stir until combined. Then add chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into your prepared pan and then bake!
Use these expert tips to make vegan zucchini cake perfect every time:
- Once you combine the flour with the wet ingredients, be sure not to overmix the batter
- Allow the baked cake to cool completely before frosting
- Store the cake in the fridge for up to 5 days
- I used 2 medium zucchinis to make 2 cups of shredded zucchini
- Press the zucchini a little before adding it to the batter
- Use vegan butter to make this dairy free zucchini cake recipe. I used Earth Balance.
- This is a chocolate chip zucchini cake, so be sure to use dairy free chocolate chips such as the Enjoy Life brand.
- Make sure your butter is soft — you can allow it to sit on the counter for at least 30 minutes
- I used almond milk, but you can sub in soy or cashew milk or any plant-based milk you prefer
- This is a healthy zucchini cake thanks to the use of whole wheat pastry flour and zucchinis are very healthy too
- To make this recipe gluten-free, substitute gluten free baking flour for the flour.
This is the best zucchini cake recipe ever and you can make it and share it with friends and family any day of the week!
Do you love dairy-free chocolate recipes? Be sure to check out my Vegan Chocolate Chia Pudding recipe! And my Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are gooey and yummy! These Vegan Brownies are a go to favorite every time!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Cake
For the Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter , melted
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a 9X13 baking pan by coating it with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, starch, cocoa, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine oil, butter, sugar, milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Cut off the root ends of the zucchini and use a shredder to shred. Use a paper towel to gently press the zucchini (not trying to get out all the liquid, just some).
- Pour the oil mixture and the shredded zucchini in with the flour mixture and stir to combine. Add chocolate chips and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix!
- Use a spatula to spread batter evenly across prepared pan. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Insert a tester in the middle of the cake. When it comes out clean, the cake is done. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare the frosting by adding softened butter in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, then cocoa powder. Finally, add the milk, one tablespoon at a time and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- When the cake has cooled, spread with Chocolate Frosting.
- To store cake, cover and keep refrigerated. It will keep up to 5 days in the fridge.