I’m into layering my flavors lately and this Avocado and Jalapeño Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich might be the pinnacle of my efforts. It’s an exercise that’s very palatable to the average human tongue, so why not try the same thing for my vegan tongue? Could it be possible for vegans to enjoy the same layered flavors as much as the next guy…or gal? We’re about to find out!
I don’t care how many times I try to spell it, I never get Avocado right. It’s just about enough to make me want to stop using it.
Did I just say that? I think not!
I love avocados…whichever way they’re spelled.
And today I’m spelling I LOVE THIS SANDWICH!
There. I got that right.
You may not have all the ingredients on-hand, but once you do, you can delight in the simple steps to make this delicious vegan sandwich over and over again. Tender slices of peppered Tofurkey with avocado and melted Daiya Havarti Garlic Jalapeño cheese. To top it off I used thick cut slices of artisan rosemary herbed bread.
It’s an experiment that bears repeating!
Avocado and Jalapeño Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated onion pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 slices of your favorite hearty bread
- dairy-free margarine
- 4 slices of of Daiya Jalapeño & Garlic Havarti Vegan Cheese
- 4 - 6 slices Peppered Tofurkey deli slices
- 1 jalapeño be careful, they're hot!, washed, seeds removed and sliced
- Carefully slice an avocado in half, remove the seed, and place the flesh in a bowl. Add the dehydrated onion pieces and and lemon juice and mash together. Sprinkle with sea salt. Set aside.
- Slather the top of 4 slice of bread with dairy-free margarine. Place these on a skillet and turn the heat up to medium-low.
- Layer over the 4 slices of bread thin slices of the cheese, one to two slices of the tofurkey, and the avocado mixture.
- Slather margarine on top of the 4 remaining slices of bread. Place the unbuttered side down on the four sandwich bottoms cooking in the skillet.
- Spread the jalapeño slices in bare spots on the skillet so they can cook along side the sandwiches. Tip: Be sure to wear gloves or wash your hands after handling jalapeños.
- Once the bottoms have turned golden brown, carefully turn the sandwiches over so the buttered side of the top slice of bread is now on the skillet. Cook for another couple of minutes until that slice is golden brown as well, and the cheese is slightly melted.
- Serve sandwiches warm with slices of grilled jalapeño on top as a garnish or on the side. Once the seeds are removed and they're grilled a bit, jalapeños will provide lots of flavor without all that heat.
If you enjoy grilled cheese, you might want to check these out:
- You gotta love Spa Bettie! Whatta name! You’ll love her Vegan Basil Butternut Cheese Sandwich even more!
- Sweet Potato & Kale Grilled Cheese by Two Peas and Their Pod. A tasty recipe for sure!
- Check out this Grilled Cheese & Avocado Sandwich by 15 Spatulas
- If you’d like something in the morning, check out this Southwestern Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Whatever sandwich you find yourself creating, enjoy!