This Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes recipe is the very definition of indulgence. Go ahead. Look it up in the dictionary. I’ll wait. Or you could just make these tasty choc cherry cupcakes and find out for yourself how overly generous they are in both appeal and flavor.
These Cherry Chocolate Cupcakes are vegan chocolate cupcakes filled with cherry pie filling and topped with a silky chocolate frosting!
It’s ok to be vegan and be a little indulgent. I know we have this whole “nuts and berries” image to uphold. But I promise I won’t tell a soul how we vegans can really live it up when it comes to desserts. Yep. That secret’s safe with me, so go ahead. Indulge a little.
I was never a fan of those chocolate covered cherry candies. However, I love the flavors of chocolate and cherries. In fact, I even made my own Chocolate Covered Cherries, using fresh cherries and delicious dark chocolate.
The frosting is a typical American buttercream, made with vegan butter, plant-based milk, powdered sugar, and of course, cocoa powder. You’ll love that generous dollop of chocolate frosting on the top of each of these filled cherry-filled cupcakes.
Variations on Chocolate Cherry Cupcake Recipes
Make this cherry cupcake recipe your own with these adaptations:
- Top cherry filled cupcakes cupcake with a drizzle of melted chocolate chips
- Sprinkle the tops of cherry filled chocolate cupcakes with cacao nibs for extra crunch of chocolate flavor
- Top each cupcake with a fresh cherry for a dramatic look
- Introduce a burst of cherry flavor to the frosting by adding some cherry extract
- Add a 4 – 5 mashed cherries to my Vegan Vanilla Frosting to make a cherry buttercream frosting. A cherry frosting recipe on these cherry filled cupcakes would add a dramatic flair!
- You can even add 4 – 5 mashed cherries to the chocolate frosting listed below to make a chocolate cherry icing recipe. Be sure to reduce the amount of plant-based milk used in the frosting so it doesn’t get too soft.
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this chocolate cupcake with cherry filling recipe:
- cocoa powder
- baking soda
- baking powder
- vegan butter
- plant-based milk
- apple cider vinegar
- ground flaxseeds
- cherry pie filling
In this recipe for chocolate cherry cupcakes, first you’ll make the chocolate cupcakes. Once they’re done baking, make divots in the top of each cupcake. That’s where you’ll spoon in a little bit of cherry pie filling into each cupcake.
I don’t call them chocolate cupcakes with cherry pie filling for nothing!
The real star of the party with these amazing cherry cupcakes is that silky chocolate frosting! I used a Wilton 1M frosting tip to make that impressive swirl at the top of each of these chocolate cupcakes. I love these tips on How to Frost the Perfect Cupcakes. These are particularly helpful if you’re not used to using frosting bags.
I don’t always use large dollops of frosting on my vegan cupcakes, but every now and then you want to feature an impressive looking dessert!
Love Vegan Desserts?
If you love fruity vegan sweets like chocolate cherry cup cakes, you’ll want to make these:
- These Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies are SO Delicious!
- This Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake is easy to make and a real crowd favorite!
- Make these low sugar Chocolate Covered Cherries for a perfect gorgeous snack!
- This Chunky Monkey Cake is infused with bananas, peanut butter and chocolate.
- Vegan Blueberry Crumble Bars is an amazingly healthy dessert!
- Of course, these Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes are amazing too!
I hope you love these cherry pie filling cupcakes as much as we do! I think they’d be perfect for a Valentine’s Day treat! When you make them, share them with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your photos!
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes with Chocolate Silk Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl stir together water, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla. Pour this into the dry ingredients and stir together until combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared cupcake pans and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a tester inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- After the cupcakes have cooled, spoon out a hole in the top of each cupcake. Fill each hole with one or two cherries and some of the sauce from the cherry pie filling. Repeat this step for each cupcake.
For the Silky Chocolate Frosting
- Combine 1 cup of vegan butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and sea salt. Use a mixer or stir by hand until the ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Add one tablespoon of plant-based milk at a time, stirring in between until you reach a desired silky consistency. Use a Wilton 1M frosting tip to add a decorative flute to the top of each cupcake (or feel free to spread on with a butter knife).
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.