Chocolate cherry cupcakes are the very definition of indulgence. Go ahead. Look it up in the dictionary. I’ll wait. Or you could just make this tasty cupcakes recipe and find out for yourself — they are amazing!
These cherry chocolate cupcakes are filled with cherry pie filling and topped with a silky chocolate frosting. And guess what? They’re made without eggs or dairy.
I know chocolate and cherries are amazing together. It’s one reason we all love the chocolate cherry dump cake and chocolate-covered cherries, using fresh cherries and delicious dark chocolate. Now we can add these cupcakes to the list.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- A simple vegan chocolate batter yields delicious, fluffy chocolate cupcakes
- Scooping out the top of the cupcakes makes room for cherry pie filling, yielding a dramatic surprise to everyone who eats them
- A generous swirl of chocolate frosting on top covers these cupcakes perfectly!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Flour — I use all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour (different than whole wheat flour).
- Sugar — I use granulated sugar for this batter.
- Cocoa powder — I recommend using natural cocoa powder.
- Baking soda — A powerful force when combined with vinegar, baking soda creates lofty baked goods like cupcakes.
- Salt — Adding salt to cake batter enhances the flavor of the sweet.
- Vegetable oil — Any neutral oil will work here, such as canola oil.
- Vinegar — I use apple cider vinegar, but you can use white vinegar.
- Vanilla Extract — I find vanilla adds a subtle flavor.
- Cherry pie filling — You can use regular or light cherry pie filling.
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
- Stir together the dry ingredients from the flour to the salt.
- Stir together the wet ingredients from the water to the vanilla.
- Make the batter by pouring the water mixture in with the flour ingredients and stir together until combined.
- Distribute the batter into prepared cupcake pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a tester inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and set them aside to cool.
- Spoon out a hole in the top of each cooled cupcake and fill it with cherries and some of the sauce from the cherry pie filling.
- Frost the cupcakes.
Here is a more detailed list of step-by-step instructions:
Step One: Make the Cupcakes
Combine dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir them together to make the batter.
Distribute the batter into prepared muffin pans and bake the cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes.
Step Two: Add Cherry Filling
Once the cupcakes have cooled, make divots in the top of each cupcake. That’s where you’ll spoon in a little bit of cherry pie filling into each cupcake.
Step Three: Frost the Cupcakes
The real star of the party is that silky chocolate frosting. I used a Wilton 1M frosting tip to make that impressive swirl of frosting. Fill the piping bag with frosting and pipe the frosting around the base of the cupcake and move your way up to create a beautiful swirl.
I love these suggestions on How to Frost the Perfect Cupcakes. These are particularly helpful if you’re not used to using piping bags.
I don’t always use large dollops of frosting on my cupcakes, but every now and then you want to feature an impressive looking dessert!
More Vegan Frostings
When it comes to frosting, you have options. For example, any of these would be a winner on these cupcakes:
More Vegan Cupcakes
If you love fruity vegan sweets like chocolate cherry cup cakes, you’ll want to make these:
That’s it for these chocolate cherry cupcakes. Enjoy!
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together water, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla. Pour this into the dry ingredients and stir together until combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared cupcake pans and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a tester inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- After the cupcakes have cooled, spoon out a hole in the top of each cupcake and fill with one or two cherries and some of the sauce from the cherry pie filling.
For the Silky Chocolate Frosting
- Cream vegan butter with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add cocoa powder and salt and cream again. Then add powdered sugar and mix on low until it's incorporated. Then beat on high until it's fluffy.
- Add one tablespoon of plant-based milk at a time, stirring in between until you reach a desired silky consistency.
- Use a Wilton 1M frosting tip to add a decorative flute to the top of each cupcake (or feel free to spread on with a butter knife).
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2013 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2020.