Enjoy this gourmet Roasted Portobello Mushroom Sandwich Recipe with herbed, breaded portobellos topped with grilled onions and a delicious tangy brown sauce. Mushroom Sandwich recipes are best with this portobello marinade! Be sure and make this Portobello Sandwich today!
I love a good sandwich. Adding crispy, marinated mushroom pieces topped with a tangy hoisin sauce just makes my day!
There’s no denying, mushrooms are good for you! But there’s another reason to include them in your vegan kitchen. Mushrooms also have a meaty texture that many people go to when they first take on a vegetarian or vegan diet.
If you’ve not worked with mushrooms before, these step-by-step instructions will help you take on this sandwich with ease!
How to Make Roasted Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
Here are the steps to make this roasted portobella sandwich. Start with 5 large portobellos. Wash and dry them and remove stems. Then cut them into 6 pieces each.
Place those mushroom pieces in a large bowl. Then make the portobello marinade made of mirin, sherry, and olive oil. Toss, mushrooms in the marinade. It helps to use your hands to coat and toss the mushrooms.
Once the mushrooms are adequately covered, set aside and let marinate for about 20-30 minutes.
Preheat your oven’s broiler to high.
In a saucepan over medium heat, add some oil and sliced onions. Cook the onions until tender and then add a little bit of coconut sugar and cook a few more minutes until the onions are caramezlied.
Make a Spicy Tangy Brown sauce by combining hoisin, tamari, vegan Worcestershire, dried ginger powder, and water in a bowl.
Add bread crumbs to the bowl of marinated portobello mushrooms and shake to coat. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
Place the breaded mushrooms on the pan and then place it under the broiler for around 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and use tongs to turn the mushroom pieces. Return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
To assemble each portobello sandwich, spread some sauce on the bottom buns, then add several crispy Portobello cubes. Top that with caramelized onions, drizzle with more sauce, and top with cilantro sprigs.
And now for the best part of all – dig in!
What can you serve with this roasted portobello sandwich? How about some air fryer french fries! Those are a go-to favorite around here. I think a batch of my favorite Brussels Sprouts Slaw would be great too! Or how about a big batch of vegan potato salad to round this tasty dish out!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Crispy Drunken Portobello Sandwich
- 5 large Portobello mushrooms washed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoon mirin (see note)
- 1 teaspoon sherry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- ¼ cup panko crumbs
- 4 sourdough sandwich rolls
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Remove stems from Portobellos; slice cap each into 6 cubes. Place those cubes into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the mirin, sherry, and 1 tablespoon olive oil; drizzle over the mushrooms. Using your hands, gently coat and toss the mushrooms with the mirin mixture. Set aside and let marinate for about 20-30 minutes.
- While the portobellos cubes are marinating, preheat the broiler to high.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan and add onion slices. Cook onions for 5 – 7 minutes and add the sugar and stir to combine. Cook another 5 minutes until the onions brown and caramelize.
- To make the tangy hoisin sauce, whisk together the hoisin, tamari, Worcestershire, dried ginger, and water.
- Add the bread crumbs to the bowl of mushrooms and coat thoroughly. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray. Add the marinated mushrooms and place directly under the broiler for 10 minutes. Use tongs to turn the mushrooms and pour any extra sauce over then. Then return the pan to the oven and cook another 10 minutes.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread some hoisin sauce on the bottom bun, then top with several crispy Portobello pieces. Top with grilled onions, more sauce and some fresh cilantro leaves. Top with top bun piece.