This Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake recipe begins with a super moist chocolate cake topped with lots of creamy peanut butter frosting and a crispy chocolate drizzle. The Peanut Butter Cake Filling is creamy and delicious! Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cake is a perfect combination of favorite flavors, with some referring to it as a Reeses Cake for that very reason.
There’s nothing like the flavors of chocolate and peanut butter combined. Do you agree? This peanut butter chocolate cake will help you decide, in case you have any doubt at all!
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
I love making this easy chocolate peanut butter cake recipe, and I hope you will too. Let’s get started. This delicious chocolate peanut butter cake recipe begins with the cake. I’ve made plenty of chocolate cakes in my life, including my favorite chocolate wacky cake recipe. However, for this recipe, I wanted a super indulgent, moist chocolate cake.
Begin this recipe by combining dry ingredients in a mixing bowl: sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Go ahead and use your mixer on low speed to mix these all together.
Create a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add the melted coconut oil, plant-based milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla. Use your mixer on low speed to mix these ingredients together, slowly incorporating the flour mixture.
Finally, slowly (and carefully) add the boiling water. Use your mixer on low speed to combine the ingredients. Pour the cake batter into prepared pan (or pans) and bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. For a 9X13 cake pan, this will be between 30 – 35 minutes. For two 9 inch rounds, this will be between 20 – 25 minutes.
Be sure and allow the finished cakes to cool completely before frosting.
Peanut Butter Filling
If you’re making a chocolate peanut butter layer cake, you can use the frosting as a peanut butter filling for cake recipe in between the two cakes. Be sure and reserve a little for the top as well. Alternatively, you can make some Vegan Chocolate Frosting for the top and sides.
Why add Hot Water?
It’s easy to think that adding hot water to this recipe causes the cake tube more moist, however, that is not the case. In fact, hot water is added to the cake batter to bloom the cocoa powder, bringing out the full flavor of the chocolate. I love these tips from the Kitchn on ways to bloom cocoa powder in baked recipes.
Love Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Recipes?
If you love vegan and chocolate and peanut butter all combined, there’s more goodness to be had then! Take a step toward indulgence with these delicious vegan dessert recipes:
- This Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie is super easy to make and so tasty!
- Make some Vegan Peanut Butter Cups for a sweet treat any day of the week
- These Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls are a go-to favorite for the holidays and any time of the year!
- Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies are elegant and delicious!
- Keep it healthy with these Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites!
- You’ll love this Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats recipe for breakfast, but it makes a great dessert too!
The combination of chocolate and peanut butter as perfect flavors together cannot be denied!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 teaspoosn baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil , melted
- 1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup boiling water
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 oz container vegan cream cheese I used Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare 9X13 cake by spraying with vegetable spray across bottom and sides of pan. Or use two round 9-inch cake pan by spraying vegetable oil across the bottom and sides of the pan. Cut 2 rounds of parchment paper and place these in the bottom of the pans. Spray with vegetable cooking spray and set aside.
- Pour the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Use an electric or stand mixer with a paddle attachment to combine ingredients on low speed.
- Create a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add melted coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, milk and apple cider vinegar. Mix on low speed for 1 minute until combined. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and beat for an additional minute until combined.
- Slowy (and carefully) add the hot water and mix on low speed until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pan (or pans). Place in the oven and bake until a tester comes out clean. Bake the 9X13 for 35 minutes. Bake two 9" round pans for 20 – 25 minutes. For layered cake: remove cakes from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting pans over plates to remove cakes from pans. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- In the meantime prepare Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Filling. Combine the vegan cream cheese, peanut butter, and vegan butter in a mixing bowl. Use a mixer and beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat on low until combine. Add vanilla and beat to combine. Set aside. Once the cake has cooled completely, spread the Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Filling evenly across the cake. For a layered cake, use half as a filling between the two layers and the rest on top.
- Prepare the Chocolate Drizzle by combining chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 20 – 30 seconds and then stir. Repeat until the chocolate is melted. Drizzle melted chocolate over the frosted cake.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.