Enjoy these delicious Vegan Peanut Butter Cups as a snack or dessert. They’re pretty nice crumbled over a bowl of ice cream too!
I have a confession to make. I’m human. I know that might come as a shock to some of you, but it has to be said.
As a human, I have this thing for sweets. It’s part of our DNA, this craving for all things sweet. I like sweet nothings whispered in my ear, I stop for sweet smells of roses and lilacs, and I crave sweet things to eat. That’s why these Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups are rocking my world right now!
So what’s wrong with liking sweets, you may ask? As a vegan, being healthy is a priority too and I know there is evidence that proves too much of a sweet thing is not so sweet for our health.
However, I remind myself, as a vegan I am generally very healthy. I eat lots of fresh produce. I hardly go a day without spinach in some form or another. And our version of processed foods is usually the tortilla chips that we eat with our black bean and rice burritos.
And I’m torn between wanting to show 1) how healthy vegans are vs. 2) all the incredible (and delicious foods) that vegans eat.
Obviously, I’m more inclined toward the latter lately, which is why decided to try making my own peanut butter cups.
I think going over four years without a Reeses Peanut Butter cup is a good excuse for giving this recipe a go.
Besides, my beautifully sweet daughter begged me to try making them. She’s hard to turn down when she’s being all sweet like that!
These vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups are so delicious. I say “are” because we’re still eating them. See? I’m trying to practice some self control by not eating them all in one sitting. I’m stretching out the pleasure one bite at a time!
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Peanut Butter Filling
- 1 cup Peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 tablespoons soy milk
- Chocolate Coating
- 3 cups chocolate chips dairy free,
- 2 tablespoons margarine Or coconut oil,
- I bought a package of 48 Mini Reynolds Foil Baking Cups. You’ll need about 1/2 of these for this recipe.
- Begin with a small saucepan. Add about 1 inch of water and bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Add your chocolate chips to a heat-resistant bowl and place the bowl on top of the saucepan and watch as your chocolate chips begin to melt. Add the margarine and stir occasionally.
- Next place the peanut butter and powdered sugar into a bowl and mix until combined. Add soy milk one tablespoon at a time until you get the desired consistency. You want the mixture to be firm, but spreadable. Set aside.
- Once the chocolate is melted, stir and dollop about 1 tablespoon of the chocolate into the bottom of a mini baking cup. I used enough to give a thorough covering of the base of the cup. Then tip the baking cup to the side to allow the chocolate coating to go up the sides of the baking cup. Rotate the baking cup so you have nice coverage of the chocolate around the sides of the cup.
- Repeat this step for 24 cups. I put these cups on a tray and placed them in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes to let the chocolate harden to make the next step easier.
- Once the chocolate is hardened, take about 1 tablespoon of the peanut butter mixture and drop it on top of the firm chocolate. Don’t worry about being too precise at this point. Just repeat this step until all the chocolate cups are covered with the PB mixture.
- Next, wet your knife in a little bit of water and use the wet knife to smooth out the peanut butter. This will give the final product a nice smooth look.
- Add more melted chocolate to each cup until all the peanut butter is covered. You can use the back of your spoon to help spread the chocolate around. Again, put these cups on a tray and return to the fridge to harden.
- Finally, do a little dance to show your excitement at the thought of the vegan chocolate peanut butter cups waiting in your fridge! (This step is optional, but highly recommended)
Other Sites with Recipes for Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups:
- The Hungry Mouse: Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- Erica’s Sweet Tooth: Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Cups
- Macheesmo: Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- Check out my Molasses Peanut Butter Cups!
Whatever chocolate treat you’re noshing on, enjoy!