This Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats recipe creates the easiest no-bake dessert, that’s perfect for summer or any time of year! Some days only the flavors of rich chocolate and smooth peanut butter can soothe your troubled soul which makes these Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Bars the perfect cure for whatever ails you.
When I was a teenager I loved making up recipes. I didn’t know what I was doing, of course. Maybe that’s why I liked it. The process and the outcomes were always a mystery!
I loved working with chocolate and peanut butter. Who doesn’t! This recipe is one of the darlings that I experimented with basing it off of another recipe I had seen. The idea of making rice krispie treats with peanut butter, instead of marshmallows was amazing to me!
I didn’t like the combination of chocolate and marshmallows at the time (talk about finicky!), so I knew this peanut butter rice krispie bars recipe was going to be a real gem!
Also, once I saw a bumper sticker that read: I do whatever my rice krispies tell me. I’m still laughing about that!
How to Make Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treats
If you’re curious how to make peanut butter rice krispie treats, I’m here to show you how. In fact, let’s have some fun too! Let’s get to making this yummy Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies treat recipe! Let’s begin.
Step One: Prepare the Pan
Begin by preparing an 8″ square cake pan by using vegan butter or coconut oil to grease both the bottom and sides.
Step Two: Prepare the Peanut Butter Sauce
Make the sweet peanut butter sauce by combining creamy peanut butter and agave nectar in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30-second increments, followed by stirring, until the peanut butter is “melted” (or runny) and able to be stirred in with the agave nectar. Add vanilla and stir to combine.
A note on syrup: I used agave nectar, but you can substitute your favorite syrup like maple syrup, corn syrup, or even a date syrup (although it will be a bit darker).
Step Three: Make Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Bars
Pour in the rice crispy cereal into a large bowl. Add the peanut butter sauce while it’s still warm (so it will be runny) and and stir until the rice crispies are evenly coated.
Pour the coated rice crispy mixture into the prepared pan and spread it around all the edges of the pan. Use your fingers or the back of a spoon or spatula to press the peanut butter rice crispy mixture into the bottom of the pan.
Step Four: Make the Chocolate Fudge Topping
Next. combine the chocolate chips and vegan butter (or coconut oil) in a microwave safe bowl. I cut the butter into cubes to ensure even melting. Heat for about 30 seconds. Then remove the bowl and stir to ensure the chocolate chips are coated.
Return the bowl to the microwave and heat for another 30 seconds. Use oven mitts to remove the bowl and cover it with a plate or lid. Allow it to sit for about a minute to help the chocolate chips to melt. Then stir.
Add the milk, one tablespoon at a time, stirring in between until you get the desired spreadable consistency.
I love using vegan evaporated milk because it’s rich and creamy, but any old plant-based milk will do!
Spread the chocolate fudge topping over the peanut butter layer.
Step Five: Refrigerate and Serve
Cover the pan and place in the fridge where you can stand nearby for an hour, waiting for it to set. Trust me, it’s worth the wait!
How to Store Rice Krispie Treats
You want to keep those rice krispies treats, well crispy! So, I love these tips for storing rice krispie treats. Simply cut them into individual slices and transfer them to a airtight container. If you have to stack them on top of one another, place a sheet of waxed paper between the layers.
I keep mine in the fridge, but they can be kept at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Love Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Desserts?
Combining chocolate, peanut butter and rice crispies creates a fabulous and favorite treat! Chocolate peanut butter rice crispy treats. Just saying it again makes me feel all happy inside! But now you’re probably itching for more vegan chocolate peanut butter recipes. Well here ya go:
- Fall in love with this Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie recipe!
- These Vegan Peanut Butter Cups are covered in chocolate and are amazing!
- This Edible Peanut Butter Cookie Dough is full of chocolate chips and makes a perfect snack!
- This tasty Vegan Peanut Butter Overnight Oats recipe is served with chocolate chips too!
Who can deny the perfect pairing of chocolate and peanut butter? That with a little bit of snap and crackling rice crispies makes for a perfect mid-day treat! That’s just one reason why this recipe for peanut butter rice krispie treats with chocolate topping is so perfect!
And a dose of creativity was definitely needed in my kitchen recently. That’s because I could remember eating these delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats as a teenager, but now as an adult I couldn’t for the life of me remember how I made them.
So, I know this peanut butter rice crispy treats recipe is not the same as what I made when I was a teenager, but somehow I think they’re actually better. Vegan, gluten-free, chocolate peanut butter rice krispy bars! What else could you ask for!
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats are so good, you’ll want to make a double batch! I love making these rice krispy peanut butter bars and then taking them to events like my book reading club. Everyone is always so surprised to learn they’re vegan!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Bars
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup agave nectar (or syrup of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups Rice Crispy (or Rice Krispies) cereal
Chocolate Fudge Topping
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil
- 2 – 3 tablespoons plant-based milk
Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Bars
- Prepare a 9" square cake pan by using vegan butter or coconut oil to grease bottom and sides. Alternatively, line pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine peanut butter and syrup in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until the peanut butter softens/melts. Add vanilla and stir until combined.
- Pour the rice crispy cereal into a large bowl and then pour peanut butter sauce over the top. Stir until the rice crispies are evenly coated.
- Pour the coated rice crispy mixture into prepared pan and spread it around. You can use your fingers or the greased back of a spoon to press this into the bottom of the pan.
Chocolate Fudge Topping
- Next combine the chocolate chips and vegan butter (or coconut oil) in a microwave safe bowl. Stir to ensure the chocolate chips are coated and then heat for about a minute. Stir and heat for another 30 seconds until the chocolate chips are melted. Add the milk, one tablespoon at a time, stirring in between until you get the desired spreadable consistency. Spread the chocolate fudge topping over the peanut butter layer.
- Cover and place the pan in the fridge to allow it to set for at least 30 minutes (but an hour is more optimal).
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This peanut butter rice krispie recipe goes perfectly with a tall glass of soy milk. Enjoy!