The flavors of chocolate, peanut butter and banana combine in these Vegan Chunky Monkey Cookies, with lots of deliciousness in every bite!
Bananas Buy the Bag
Do you ever have a day where you have more bananas than you know what to do with? Well, I had that happen recently when I bought a bag of bananas for 99 cents. Ninety-nine cents! I was ecstatic! But it didn’t last long because I was left “holding the bag” when the ripe little fellas began singing their swan song.
I needed to start baking and fast.
First, I made a vegan banana cake, but still had bananas left-over. Then I remembered I needed to make some cookies for an outing that evening. That’s when it hit me, what about chunky monkey cookies?
We love the combination of peanut butter, banana and chocolate, so why not do that in a cookie!
Chunky Monkey Cookies Rule!
We love the combinations of flavors in chunky monkey cookies — peanut butter, banana, and chocolate. Here’s why I think these cookies are the best:
- You can have these chunky monkey cookies for breakfast!
- They are a low-sugar added cookie thanks to the ripe bananas
- These cookies combine my favorite flavors, peanut butter and chocolate
- Spread these in a 9X9 square baking pan to make bars
See? Those so many reasons to love chunky monkey cookies!
Change This Recipe, Please!
I really love this recipe. I’ve adapted it over the years to get it exactly where it is today. However, you might want to run with it in a different direction. All I can say is, WHA?? 🤔 No, just kidding. I say go with it!
If you’d like some help getting started, here are some ways I would adapt this recipe:
- You don’t have to include walnuts, especially if you don’t have any handy
- Try adding a teaspoon of cinnamon for a different twist
- You can go all whole wheat pastry flour to make them even healthier
- Use chunky peanut butter to add even more crunch
- Use gluten-free baking flour to make these gluten-free
And that’s that! You should definitely serve these chunky monkey cookies with a tall glass of almond milk. They taste so good that way!
What About Eggs?
These chunky monkey cookies don’t need eggs. Bananas make a great egg substitute in a sweet recipe like this one. Of course, bananas do adapt the flavor of a recipe so you don’t want to add bananas to just any old recipe. Check out my Vegan Baking Guide for more egg replacement tips.
Life is full of banana skins. You slip, you carry on. — Daphne Guinness
With this recipe I was ready for the banana sensation and these cookies did not disappoint. They turned out delicious. Don’t believe me? Try them for yourself!
You know, we hope you love this recipe for chunky monkey cookies! If you decide to give them a go, snap a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. We LOVE seeing your photos!
Vegan Chunky Monkey Cookies
- 1 ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Vegan Butter , softened
- ½ cup Peanut Butter , creamy
- ½ cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- ¼ cup Plant-based Milk
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Dairy free chocolate chips
- ½ cup Walnuts , chopped
- Heat your oven to 375°. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flours, baking soda and salt). Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl add vegan butter and peanut butter. Stir to combine. Add coconut sugar and vanilla. Stir together until creamy.
- Add bananas and use a fork to mash into small bits. Stir until combined. Add plant-based milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir.
- Pour chocolate chips and walnuts into the flour mixture. Stir until chocolate chips and walnuts are coated.
- Pour peanut butter mixture into flour mixture. Stir until combined. Drop by rounded spoonful onto prepared baking sheets.*
- BAKE for 9 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.