The Best Chunky Monkey Cookies Recipe combines bananas, peanut butter, and chocolate chips! The Monkey Cookie is deliciously healthy, thanks to mashed bananas!
The flavors of chocolate, peanut butter and banana combine in these Vegan Monkey Cookies, with lots of deliciousness in every bite!
What to do with Ripe Bananas
Do you ever have a day where you have more bananas than you know what to do with? Well, I had that happen recently when I bought a bag of bananas for 99 cents. Ninety-nine cents! I was ecstatic! But it didn’t last long because I was left “holding the bag” when the ripe fruit began singing their swan song.
I needed to start baking and fast.
First, I made a vegan banana cake, but still had bananas left-over. Then I remembered I needed to make some cookies for an outing that evening. That’s when it hit me, what about chunky monkeys cookies?
We love the combination of peanut butter, banana and chocolate, so why not do that in a cookie!
How to Make Chunky Monkey Cookies
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie pan.
In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flours, baking soda and salt). Stir to combine.
In a separate bowl add vegan butter and peanut butter. Stir to combine. Add coconut sugar and vanilla. Stir together until creamy.
Add bananas and use a fork to mash into small bits. Stir until combined. Add plant-based milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir.
Pour chocolate chips and walnuts into the flour mixture. Stir until chocolate chips and walnuts are coated.
Pour peanut butter mixture into flour mixture. Stir until combined. Drop by rounded spoonful onto prepared baking sheets.
BAKE for 9 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Chunky Monkey Cookies Rule!
We love the combinations of flavors in these skinny chunky monkey cookies — peanut butter, banana, and chocolate. Here’s why I think these cookies are the best:
- You can have these chunky monkey cookies for breakfast! I mean, who doesn’t want some chocolate chip breakfast cookies!
- They are a low-sugar added cookie thanks to the ripe bananas
- Spread these in a 9X9 square baking pan to make chunky monkey cookie bars
See? Those so many reasons to love chunky monkey cookies!
Use these tips and tricks to make chunky monkey cookie recipes perfect every time!
- The recipe calls for vegan butter, I used Earth Balanc
- I used creamy (not natural) peanut butter
- Sub chopped pecans or almonds if you don’t have walnuts
- Try adding a teaspoon of cinnamon for a different twist
- Use whole wheat pastry flour to make these cookies even healthier
- Try a chunky peanut butter to add even more crunch
- Substitute gluten-free baking flour to make these into gluten-free banana cookies
- Be sure to add more chocolate chips and nuts to the top of cookie dough balls before you bake them!
- I refer to this as a skinny cookies recipe because it includes some healthy ingredients, like whole wheat pastry flour, it’s made without eggs, and made with reduced sugar.
And that’s that! You should definitely serve these chunky monkey cookies with a tall glass of almond milk. They taste so good that way!
Can you make cookies without eggs?
These skinny monkey cookies don’t need eggs. Bananas make a great egg substitute in a sweet recipe like this one. Of course, bananas do adapt the flavor of a recipe so you don’t want to add bananas to just any old recipe. Check out my Vegan Baking Guide for more egg replacement tips.
Life is full of banana skins. You slip, you carry on. — Daphne Guinness
With this recipe I was ready for the banana sensation and these cookies did not disappoint. They turned out delicious. Don’t believe me? Try them for yourself!
That’s it for these chunky monkey cookies!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Chunky Monkey Cookies
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose Flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegan butter , softened
- ½ cup peanut butter , creamy
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- ¼ cup plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Heat your oven to 375°. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flours, baking soda and salt). Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl add vegan butter and peanut butter. Stir to combine. Add coconut sugar and vanilla. Stir together until creamy.
- Add bananas and use a fork to mash into small bits. Stir until combined. Add plant-based milk and vinegar. Stir.
- Pour chocolate chips and walnuts into the flour mixture. Stir until chocolate chips and walnuts are coated.
- Pour peanut butter mixture into flour mixture. Stir until combined. Drop by rounded spoonful onto prepared baking sheets.*
- BAKE for 9 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.