Treat yourself to some vegan chunky monkey ice cream! This dairy-free favorite is made with real bananas, peanut butter, and chocolate chips. Get your scoop today and indulge in this creamy, delicious dessert!
It’s not as if I have to have ice cream every night. I am not one of those people.
But I DO enjoy having a scoop, or maybe a bowlful, from time to time. And one of my favorite routines was getting out my favorite pint, a spoon, and watching a little SNL. That’s right. I’d eat ice cream straight from the container.
It was heavenly.
You can buy vegan pints of ice cream at the store, but they are kind of pricey! That’s where this Ben and Jerry’s copycat vegan chunky monkey ice cream comes in!
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Bananas — You’ll need approximately 2 medium bananas, chopped up and frozen.
- Almond milk — We’ll add a bit of unsweetened almond milk. You can substitute coconut milk or plant-based yogurt for an even creamier dessert.
- Maple syrup — This is my favorite sweetener for this dessert, but you can substitute agave nectar.
- Peanut butter — You can use natural or homogenized peanut butter. Substitute other nut butters, such as almond butter.
- Chocolate — We’ll melt a little bit of dairy-free and vegan chocolate chips to
How to Make Vegan Chunky Monkey Ice Cream
- Cook chocolate chips in the microwave-safe bowl until melted.
- Blend frozen bananas, almond milk, maple syrup, and peanut butter on low to break them up into large chunks.
- Gradually increase the blender speed, until you achieve a creamy texture.
- Assess your nice cream for flavor and texture.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate with the whipped banana mixture and pulse to distribute the chocolate chunks.
- Transfer to serving dishes and serve immediately.
What does chunky monkey ice cream have in it?
Chunky monkey ice cream is made with a combination of bananas, peanut butter, and chocolate. This classic flavor combination is perfect for a variety of desserts, including ice cream, too!
Chunky Monkey Banana Ice Cream Toppings
Looking for the best toppings for your non-dairy chunky monkey ice cream? Here are some of our favorites:
- Chocolate — Add crunchy bits of chocolate by topping your dessert with mini chocolate chips.
- Chopped walnuts — add the nutrition of walnuts in every bite.
- Chocolate shell — I love making this vegan chocolate sauce that hardens on ice cream. It creates a perfectly crispy chocolate coating for any frozen dessert.
- Sweet Peanut Butter Sauce — I improvise a perfect sauce for ice cream. I simply add water and maple syrup to peanut butter until I achieve the perfect spreadable texture. It’s delicious!
More Vegan Frozen Desserts
If you’re a chunky monky ice cream fanatic like me, you will want to try this tasty vegan chunky monky banana cake. it’s divine! But if you’re after more summer frozen desserts, here are some go-to favorites!
Chunky Monkey Nice Cream
- 1 ½ cups frozen banana slices (approximately 2 medium bananas)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (substitute coconut milk or plant-based yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips
- Optional toppings: chopped walnuts, chocolate chips, or chocolate syrup.
- Add chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 30 seconds until the chocolate melts. Set aside.
- To a high-speed blender jar add frozen banana, almond milk, maple syrup, and peanut butter. Let this sit for several minutes so the frozen bananas can soften slightly.
- Blend on low speed until roughly broken down. Then gradually increase speed, stopping to pause if your blender starts to whir. If so, use a spatula to press the mixture down near the blades. Then continue pulsing until you achieve a creamy texture.
- Assess your nice cream. Is the texture right? If you want it thicker, add a few more frozen banana slices and let it sit and then blend on low, gradually increasing the speed.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate in with the whipped banana mixture and pulse in a few short burst to distribute chocolate chunks throughout the cream. Don't pulse too much, so you'll have plenty of chocolae texture.
- Transfer to serving dishes and serve immediately. Serve as is or add optional toppings such as chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. Or transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze until you're ready to serve.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.