This moist, rich Chunky Monkey Vegan Cake recipe is made with bananas, peanut butter, and chocolate. It’s a delicious, dairy-free cake that everyday ingredients. Each slice of this chunky monkey peanut butter cake yields a buttery banana cake base, with melted chocolate chips, and a generous layer of chocolate frosting!
The Fall-Back Recipe
Do you have a fall-back recipe?
You know, one of those tried-and-true dishes you can always make in a pinch if you need it?
My fall-back recipes save the day! If I’m going to a potluck-type dinner and need to take something, or have friends stopping, by, or just need a quick fix for a weeknight meal, my fall-back recipes save the day!
Today’s Chunky Monkey Vegan Cake is no exception! If you’re into chocolate, banana, and peanut butter mixed all together, then you and me? We are two peas in a pod. Kindred Spirits!
You had a bad hair day, followed by traffic jams, incessant meetings, and general overall life gridlock?
And there’s nothing in the cupboards to make that day any better! Put the kibosh on that negative vibe. That’s right…fall-back recipe to the rescue!
But this can be more than a fall-back recipe. In fact, it’s so delicious, serve this as a chunky monkey birthday cake too!
We all need a recipe like this and today I’m going to share mine with you. It’s one of those recipes that you can make time after time and everybody loves it, or you can wait three months to make it and everyone loves it even more.
Personally, trying new recipes is a hoot, but it’s also important to have some oldies but goodies in the mix.
What is Chunky Monkey Cake?
A chunky monkey cake recipe includes peanut butter, chocolate, and bananas! It’s my favorite triple threat combination!
This cake is made with the kinds of ingredients that you almost always have around the house:
- peanut butter
- chocolate chips
- cocoa powder
It’s the simple ingredients that makes the Chunky Monkey Vegan Cake so easy to throw together for just about any reason. See? It’s my fall-back cake!
It’s a real crowd pleaser which means when I announce I’m making my chunky monkey vegan cake, the crowd goes wild. OK. Honestly, they might applaud a little, which may not be the true definition of wild, but there’s excitement in the air.
This is a dense, moist chunky monkey banana cake that’s full of flavor..and chocolate! The peanut butter, bananas, and chocolate combine in each bite to keep you coming back for more.
How to Make Chunky Monkey Cake
The vegan cake recipe is better than a banana cream snack cake if you ask me! And it’s pretty straight forward. Simple, mix together the wet ingredients:
- peanut butter
- vegetable oil
- mashed bananas
- plant-based milk
- ground flax seeds
- apple cider vinegar
Next, mix together the dry ingredients:
- all-purpose flour (although whole wheat pastry flour works great too)
- whole wheat flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- chocolate chips.
Oh, and I sprinkled some Cacao Nibs on the top to give each bite a little pop. Cacao Nibs are crunchy and chocolate, but you can’t always find these at Target so if you don’t have them on hand, just chop up some chocolate chips and sprinkle those across the top. Whatever works!
Love Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Recipes?
Obviously, I’m not the only one who loves this banana, peanut butter, chocolate combination.
Check out these amazing recipes:
- These Frozen Banana Bites are perfect snacking food!
- This Chunky Monkey Cookies recipe is the best!
- Why not add banana chips to this Peanut Butter Granola to make the best snack ever!
- Add chocolate chips to this Banana Cookie recipe!
- This Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake is amazing!
Adapting This Recipe
Here are some expert tips and tricks to adapt this recipe:
- Be sure to use this Vegan Chocolate Frosting to ice this chunky banana bread cake recipe!
- I prefer to make this as a chunky monkey cake 13X9 — to keep it simple. Serve it with either chocolate frosting or even this Vegan Vanilla Frosting.
- Also, bake it into a layer cake, and add the pudding from this Vegan Banana Cream Pie recipe in between the layers. It would make a vegan peanut butter chocolate eclair cake. Leave out the chocolate chips to have a peanut butter eclair cake. Either way, it would be an amazing dessert!
- Bake this cake into layers and add vegan ice cream in between the layers to make a chunky monkey ice cream cake. Be sure to store it in the freezer!
- Make a chunky monkey banana peanut butter cake with chocolate peanut butter frosting by adding a 2 -3 tablespoons of peanut butter powder to the chocolate frosting.
- You can spread the batter into loaf pans to create chunky monkey bread! It would be rich and moist and perfect to give away as gifts!
- Finally, spread the batter into muffin tins and make chunky monkey muffins. What a great way to start out the day!
We LOVE this Chunky Monkey Banana Bread Vegan Cake recipe…especially this time of year.
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Chunky Monkey Cake
For the Chunky Monkey Cake:
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 large bananas mashed with a fork
- 1 cup plant-based milk soy, almond, etc
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips dairy free
For the Vegan Chocolate Frosting:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- ½ cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 – 3 tablespoon plant-based milk
For the Vegan Chunky Monkey Cake:
- Heat your oven to 375F. Spray a 9 X 13 cake pan with vegetable spray
- In a large bowl combine the peanut butter, vegetable oil, sugar, vanilla, mashed bananas, soy milk, ground flax seed, corn starch, and apple cider vinegar. Stir together until combined.
- In separate bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir together until combined and then pour into bowl with wet ingredients. Stir vigorously until combined.
- Finally, add chocolate chips and give the batter a couple more stirs to incorporate them.
- Spread the batter into the prepared cake pan and place in the heated oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until a piece of dry spaghetti inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool completely then ice with Chocolate Frosting
For the Vegan Chocolate Frosting:
- Combine powdered sugar, cocoa, and margarine in a medium bowl and stir until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the teaspoon of vanilla and stir some more.
- Finally, add plant-based milk one tablespoon at a time until you get a desired consistency.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.