This Vegan Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe will take your cookie enjoying experience to an entirely a new level! Coconut Chocolate Cookies deliver freshly baked cookies coming from the oven with warm, melted chocolate chips, and tender, buttery cookies with a crispy crust. This Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies Recipe creates perfection in every chocolate-infused bite!
How to Make Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
It’s easy to make these coconut and chocolate cookies! Here are the steps involved:
Step One: Cream the Sugar and Fat
Use a mixer on medium speed to cream together the coconut oil and sugars. Beat for up to 3 minutes, to get a light and fluffy texture. Add ground flax, cornstarch, water, applesauce, and vanilla and beat again until fluffy.
Step Two: Stir the Dry Ingredients
In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Step Three: Make the Batter
Pour the flour into the bowl with the creamed butter mixture. Stir to combine. Add chocolate chips and stir some more.
Step Three: Drop and Bake
Use a cookie scoop to drop rounded spoonfuls of cookie dough onto a cookie sheet lined with silpat or parchment paper. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to sit on the pan for a minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Love Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies!
This Vegan Chocolate Chip and Coconut Cookies recipe takes the traditional cookie recipe and makes it better. If you’re into superpower, flavorful chocolate chip cookies, check these out:
- These Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies are SO easy and delicious.
- How about these tasty Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies?
- Of course, the traditional Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are pretty amazing too!
- Get healthy with these Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies!
- These Chocolate Chip Sprinkle Cookies are not only delicious, but colorful too!
- Enjoy every bite of these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Coffee Shop Quality Almond Joy Cookies are worth every bite!
- These Vegan No Bake Cookies are everything and more!
- Take things to another level with this Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake!
Why You’ll Love Chewy Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
I’ve heard so many people say that these chocolate chip cookies with coconut are the best of all time.
Shawn said to me today, What’s in these cookies? They’re really good. My response? Coconut oil. Who knew that something as simple as coconut oil could create such a unique, tasty cookie.
I love freezing these chewy Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies and then reheating them right before serving so people can enjoy that “fresh-from-the-oven” feeling. Also, freezing the cookie dough balls is a great idea too. Then you can bake-and-serve just about any time you want.
These coconut and chocolate chip cookies are made with coconut oil rather than vegan butter or peanut butter. I was worried that the cookies would have a strong coconut flavor from the oil. The good news? They don’t.
What is Coconut Oil?
We get coconut oil from pressing the white part from the inside of a coconut, otherwise referred to as the meat. You might recognize it most as coconut flakes, because that’s how we most commonly see it.
That coconut meat has a high fat ratio, over 80%. That’s a lot, which is why coconut oil is one of the few plant-based sources of saturated fat.
Is Coconut Oil Good for You?
Most experts for years said to avoid saturated fats like coconut oil. But food science is always evolving and now there is evidence showing that the saturated fats found in plant-based products like coconut, may have some health benefits.
The good news is that coconut oil does not cause an increase in inflammation as animal-based saturated fats do. However, there is some evidence that shows the saturated fats in coconut oil can increase cholesterol. That’s why it’s best to consume coconut oil in moderation.
Use these expert tips to make these Choc Chip and Coconut Cookies perfect every time:
- Be sure to soften the coconut oil slightly
- I like to reserve some of the chocolate chips to press onto the tops of the choc coconut cookies with chocolate chips so each one is topped with lots of chocolate!
- You could add some chopped almonds to the dough for added texture
- Why not include some actual coconut flakes to the dough as well?
- Make these double chocolate by adding cocoa powder to the cookie dough batter
- I love mini cookies, so you could make these smaller, just be sure to reduce the baking time
- Sprinkle some coconut extract into the batter for extra coconut choconut cookies
Now, you know what goes well with a cookie? How about some Vegan Skinny Hot Chocolate? I know. It’s perfect!
I’m a small town-girl living in a midwestern suburb, so the idea that I could be in love with dark chocolate is still a mystery to me. But, here I am, loving the stuff! Besides, there are definite health benefits to dark chocolate thanks to flavonoids, antioxidants, and a bunch of other phytonutrients too.
These Vegan Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies are one of our favorites!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup Coconut Oil room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 flax egg 1T ground flax, 1T cornstarch, 3T water
- ½ cup applesauce , unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 – 2 tablespoons plant-based milk*
- 12 oz bag dairy-free chocolate chips
- Heat your oven to 375F.
- Cream together the coconut oil and sugars. You could use a mixer here, but the upper arm workout is great if you want to go for it.
- Add the flax egg, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined. Add the plant-based milk, one tablespoon at a time and stir until you have a nice cookie dough consistency.
- Add chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Place rounded tablespoons of dough on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes until cookies are nice and gold around the edges.
- Remove from oven and wait for a minute before placing on a wire wrack to cool.
- Repeat these steps until you’ve worked your way through all the delicious dough.
You know, there’s no end to the chocolatey goodness offered up in the form of a simple cookie. Whatever cooking you’re treating yourself to, enjoy!