This delicious Applesauce Muffins Recipe is easy to make and oh-so-tasty! If you’re looking for the best easy apple muffin recipe, this is the one for you!
A delicious way to start out any day should include Applesauce Muffins as part of breakfast. I would say “part of a complete breakfast” but that’s so cliche! I’ll just stick with delicious.
How to Make Applesauce Muffins
It’s easy to make Applesauce Muffins with Cinnamon Spiced Icing! Begin with heating your oven to 350F degrees and lightly coat the muffin pan with cooking spray or paper liners.
In a large bowl mix together the applesauce, sugar, oil, ground flax seeds and soymilk.
In a separate, bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add pecans and applesauce mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
Drop batter into prepared muffin pan, filling them until about 2/3 full.
Bake for approximately 20 -25 minutes. Insert a tester into one of the muffins to see if it comes out clean. The edges of the top of the muffins should be golden brown.
Cupcakes vs. Muffins
In reality, these Applesauce Muffins are a source of conflict for me. They seem to push the boundaries between muffins and cupcakes.
I was in a dilemma. What should I call this recipe? Applesauce Muffins or Applesauce Cupcakes?
So I went to Wikipedia to do a little research.
Here’s what I found.
- Generally fit into the palm of an adult hand
- Meant to be eaten in one sitting (or one bite…whatever you prefer)
- Similar in shape to cupcakes but generally not as sweet and generally do not have icing (whoops!)
- Designed to serve one person
- Usually baked in a small, thin paper
- Usually has frosting and sprinkles
Obviously I think names are really important but this is one time where I’d like to go on the record as saying the name doesn’t really matter. Not at all! I’ve seen some cupcakes without icing and some muffins that do.
And that’s the beautiful thing about these Applesauce Muffins, you can eat them just about any time…night or day!
Love Vegan Muffins?
If you love vegan muffins, be sure to check these out:
- These Vegan Blueberry Muffins are the best!
- Make a double batch of these Vegan Banana Muffins because that streusel topping is too good!
- You’ll love these tasty Coffee Cake Muffins, complete with a crumble topping!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons plant-based milk
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons rolled oats (optional: for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat a muffin pan with cooking spray or paper liners.
- In a large bowl mix together the applesauce, sugar, oil, ground flax seeds and soymilk.
- In a separate, bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Optional: Add pecans to the flour mixture. Next, add applesauce mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan, filling them about 2/3 full. Optional: Add a few raw oats to the top of each muffin for decoration.
- Bake for approximately 20 -25 minutes. Insert a tester into one of the muffins to see if it comes out clean. The edges of the top of the muffins should be golden brown.
- Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days, in the fridge for up to 7 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.