Can you believe it? Fall is here and the air is crisp, the pumpkins are on the porch, and it’s time to get out the jeans and sweaters. Wha?? That’s me and my “dear in the headlights” look. Jeans? I’ve spent a summer in my comfortable (a little too comfortable) shorts and active wear. I’m worried those jeans are going to be a problem. Well, I guess that’s another good thing about Fall, I can dish out this Easy One-Pot Vegan Taco Soup and everyone will love it…and it’s guaranteed to get me back on my jean track.
So let’s talk about this Taco Soup. Because it’s kind of like chili, but not quite. Because it’s flavored with taco seasoning. Get it?
I know. It’s pretty cool when you think about it!
And do you know what I did? I went and made my own taco seasoning. My cousin was in town for our family reunion and she’s the one who made me do it. Cousins can be such a pain, especially when they’re standing in the kitchen screaming, “Don’t run to the store. Make your OWN taco seasoning!”
Well, I tell you what – I had never thought of that before. I mean, aren’t you required to buy that taco stuff in little shiny packets at the store? But, she was right. She even gave me her secret recipe and it was FAB! Aren’t cousins the best! Don’t worry – I’ll be sharing with you that Secret Taco Seasoning Recipe soon! Shhh. Don’t tell her…it’s just between you and me. xoxoxo
And I threw in a ton of beans. I mean, what’s a taco soup without some beans. Right? And then I decided with all those beans, we needed a grain, which is, of course, why there’s some Red Quinoa. In fact, I could even call this Red Quinoa Soup – that’s just how much I love that stuff. For one, it cooks up so quickly! And second, it’s all squiggly when it’s done. Love that!
And did you notice that dollop of Cilantro Cream on the top? Let me tell you, that’s what takes this soup from good, to crazy good. What’s life without a little crazy in it? That’s what I wanna know!
So, now that I know jeans season is imminent I’m pretty much into everything fall. I mean, I even made Peanut Butter Granola and everything! And I was at Trader Joe’s and had to buy a gorgeous bright yellow Mum. It’s like little sunbursts waiting on the porch for me every day. I love it!
Easy One-Pot Taco Red Quinoa Soup
Easy Taco Soup
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 15 oz cans pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 2 15 oz cans light red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 2 15 oz cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can corn
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 10 oz can green chile enchilada sauce
- 4.5 oz can green chiles chopped
- 1 cup red quinoa uncooked
- 1 cup veggie crumbles I used Gardein Meatless Crumbles
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup tortilla chips crumbled
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- Place the chopped onions in a large pot, like a dutch oven, and drizzle with olive oil. Stir to combine. Cook over medium heat until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and stir.
- Immediately add the beans, stewed tomato, corn, vegetable broth, enchilada sauce, green chillies, and red quinoa. Bring the pot to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, until the quinoa is done.
- Add the veggie crumbles, taco seasoning, nutritional yeast flakes, and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the Cilantro Cream by combining the vegan sour cream with the chopped cilantro.
- To serve: Pour the Taco Soup in a bowl, add a dollop of Cilantro Cream, and add chopped tortillas across the top.