This grilled chocolate sandwich is made with tasty bread, dark chocolate, and fresh raspberries. It’s an easy treat made with only five ingredients and absolutely delicious to serve as a dessert or a snack.
Are you a foodie? I’m not sure if I am one or not. I’m afraid that anyone who likes vegan monkey bread as much as I do may not be classified as a top-tier foodie. But then again, I love this grilled chocolate sandwich and it’s definitely foodie material. But how could you not love buttery, grilled bread with dark chocolate, peanut butter, and raspberries in the middle?
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Adding peanut butter helps keep the chocolate chips in place as the sandwiches are being flipped
- Using dark chocolate chips keeps this recipe easy to make
- Adding fresh raspberries adds a pop of beautiful color and favor in every bite!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Vegan butter — You can use any dairy-free vegan butter or margarine, or make your own homemade vegan butter.
- Bread — I think artisan slices of French bread or sourdough bread are the best, but any bread slices will do.
- Peanut butter — A small (or large) smear of peanut butter helps the chocolate chips stay in place. To make a chocolate grilled cheese sandwich, substitute a slice of white vegan cheese (like mozzarella or jack cheese) in place of the peanut butter. Chocolate and cheese is a marvelous combination!
- Chocolate chips — Use this dairy-free chocolate chips guide to find your favorite brand!
- Raspberries — Adding a few fresh raspberries is certainly optional, but highly recommended. You can substitute your favorite jellies or even this chia seed jam.
How to Make a Grilled Chocolate Sandwich
- Prepare the bread by spreading butter on one side and peanut butter on the other.
- Add chocolate chips and raspberries.
- Cook the sandwiches until the chocolate melts and the bread turns golden brown.
- Flip the sandwiches and cook on the other side until golden brown.
- Let the sandwiches cool slightly, then cut them in half and serve.
Here are more detailed step-by-step instructions.
Step One: Preparation
Place a skillet over medium-low to medium heat. It’s important to cook these sandwiches slowly so as not to burn the chocolate or the bread.
While you’re waiting for the skillet or griddle to heat up, spread softened vegan butter across the bottom of each of the slices of bread.
Then perching the buttered bread in one hand (so as not to get the butter on your hands), spread some peanut butter across the other side of the slices.
Step Two: Grill the Sandwiches
This is the best and most important part of this recipe, grilling the sandwiches. To do that, follow these steps:
- Place two of the slices on the heated skillet (buttered side down).
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly across the top.
- Add fresh raspberries.
- Complete the sandwich by placing the remaining buttered slices on top (buttered side up).
- Cook slowly until the chocolate begins to melt and the bread begins to turn golden brown, around 10 to 12 minutes on each side.
- Use your spatula to lift up the corner of the bread to check underneath. When it turns a golden color, carefully flip the sandwiches, to cook them on the other side.
Remove them from the pan and let them cool for a few minutes before serving. You may be ready to dive right in, but melted chocolate is hot and needs to cool before eating. These sandwiches are so rich, I recommend cutting them in half!
Serve this dark chocolate sandwich as a breakfast treat or dessert with any of the following:
More Vegan Chocolate Desserts
If you love this grilled chocolate sandwich, you must be into chocolate desserts. Here are some more unique and delicious chocolate desserts just for you:
Grilled Chocolate Sandwich
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spread the butter across the bottom of each of the slices of bread. Spread peanut butter across the top side of each of the bread slices.
- Place 2 of the buttered-side down bread slices in the heated skillet. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and raspberries. Add the remaining buttered slices on top (buttered side up). Cook until the chocolate begins to melt and the bread begins to turn golden brown.
- Use a spatula to carefully flip the sandwiches and cook on the other side until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and let the sandwiches sit for a couple of minutes until the chocolate cools. Then cut sandwiches in half and serve.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2013 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.