This Dark Chocolate Pie features a rich, indulgent chocolate ganache filling in a simple crust, such as this oatmeal pie crust. It’s made with only a few ingredients and a couple of steps. It’s a favorite go-to dessert recipe!
I could go on all day about how I love pies. In fact, one of my favorite songs is Making Pies by Patti Griffin. Maybe that’s why I have so many pie recipes, like this vegan pecan pie. Sometimes, I think vegan pie could solve world peace, but I get a little carried away with food.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Using dark chocolate chips makes this simple pie easy to make and still rich and creamy
- Using an oatmeal pie crust keeps this recipe so easy to make
- Full-fat coconut milk adds rich flavor and texture, making this the silkiest, smoothest pie ever
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Pie Crust — See below for our favorite pie crust ideas
- Chocolate Chips — Use high-quality dairy-free chocolate chips, such as Guittard’s or Kirkland.
- Coconut milk — You’ll need one can of full-fat coconut milk or cream. It should indicate that it has at least 12 grams of fat.
- Vanilla Extract — There’s a lot of rich flavors going on here and adding a bit of vanilla helps enhance that.
How to Make Dark Chocolate Pie
- Make the pie crust according to the recipe directions (or use a storebought pie crust).
- Pour the chocolate chips into a heat-safe bowl.
- Add coconut milk into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat the milk for 1 to 2 minutes until hot but not boiling.
- Pour the hot coconut milk over the chocolate chips, cover with a bowl and let it sit for several minutes until the chocolate melts.
- Add the vanilla and stir until it’s creamy.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the pie crust.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours (or up to overnight) before serving.
Serve dark chocolate pie slices with any of the following:
Place the entire pie or individual slices in an airtight container. Store this in the fridge for up to 10 days. Individual slices can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Bring the slices to room temperature or serve slightly chilled.
Pie Crust Options
If you want pie crust ideas, I have lots for you to consider. If you want convenience, you can go with a store-bought graham cracker crust, but I highly recommend making your own from scratch. They’re simply the best. Here are some favorites:
More Vegan Pies
If you love vegan pies, add these to your list:
That’s it for this dark chocolate pie. Enjoy!
Dark Chocolate Pie
- Pie Crust
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 can coconut milk (full-fat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Next, pour the chocolate chips into a heat-safe bowl.
- Pour coconut milk in a microwave-safe bowl (I like using a pyrex bowl with a handle, otherwise, you'll want to use potholders to remove the heated bowl from the microwave). Heat the milk for 1 to 2 minutes until hot, but not boiling.
- Pour the hot coconut milk over the chocolate chips. Use a spatula to press down any chocolate chips not under the milk. Cover with a bowl and let it sit for several minutes until the chocolate melts. Then add the vanilla and stir until it's creamy.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the pie crust. Use your spatula to get all of the chocolate gold into the pie crust. Place in the oven and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes, until pie is set.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2011 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.