This easy vegan Chickpea Curry Recipe is made with flavorful rice, potatoes, and all the right seasonings. Curried Chickpeas recipes are a delicious addition to weeknight meals. This Vegan Coconut Curry is made without dairy or eggs. Because it’s a one-pot recipe, this easy Vegan Curry Recipe with coconut milk is easy to make.
It’s easy to make a coconut curry vegan recipe by using coconut milk. Combining chickpea, coconut milk, and rice may not be your first guess at a delicious recipe. But this combination of ingredients makes finished curried chickpea recipes so creamy and delicious!
Easy Vegan Curry Recipes
First of all, this vegetarian chickpea curry recipe started out as a multi-step recipe that took a lot of twists and turns…and time! It was delicious, but I wasn’t certain I wanted to make it again because of all the work involved.
Instead, I decided to throw it all together and cook it. So, that means the first thing you’ll love about this curry chickpeas recipe is that it’s so easy! Throw everything in a pot and let it cook together. Perfection!
Also, curry is actually a combination of several spices, including turmeric! And everyone knows that turmeric is the bomb when it comes to fighting inflammation!
I love these tips on making delicious curry casserole.
Finally, vegetarian curry recipes include rice, peas, carrots, and more. As a result, this chickpea coconut curry is more like comfort food than some exotic vegan dish!
How to Make Chickpea Curry
Begin by combining coconut milk, water, basmati rice, minced garlic, chopped carrots, potato cubes and rinsed chickpeas in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Bring the pot to a simmer, and then reduce the heat to medium, and cook for about 20 minutes. The basmati rice and veggies should be tender at this point and the sauce should be very thick.
Add the frozen corn and peas and stir until combined.
Finally, add the chick pea curry spice, tamari, the juice of one lime, and the chopped cilantro. Stir to combine and this One Pot Wonder is ready to be eaten!
Can you freeze chickpea curry?
A chickpea curry freezes beautifully! Simply cook the recipe and then allow it to cool before transferring to freezer-safe containers. It will keep in the freezer up to 3 months. To reheat, cook in the microwave until heated through.
Are chickpeas the same as garbanzo beans?
The chickpea and garbanzo bean are different names for the same thing. Whatever you call it, it’s a popular legume used in a variety of recipes, from salads to hummus, soups, and more!
What is curry powder made from?
Most curry powders are made from a mixture of spices, including turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, and coriander (the seeds of the cilantro plant).
Expert Tips for this Easy Chickpea Curry Recipe
Use these tips to make this chickpea coconut curry perfect every time:
- Use brown jasmin rice. It’s a little pricier, but it adds a whole grain
- I use tamari which is basically a gluten-free version of soy sauce. Feel free to use soy sauce if you don’t care about gluten
- If you want the potatoes and carrots to cook more quickly, chop them smaller and you can cook them in the microwave for a few minutes before adding them to the pot
- The coconut milk combines with the spices to make a delicious creamy vegan curry sauce
- Try adding some chopped cauliflower florets while the garbanzo bean curry is cooking
- Sprinkle the finished chickpeas curry with sesame seeds
- Serve vegan chickpea curry with steamed broccoli
- Be sure to serve this chickpea coconut curry with this Vegan Naan Recipe and enjoy!
So, if you’re looking for a vegan Indian curry that’s easy, creamy, delicious, and healthy? Well, then this may just be the One Pot Wonder for you too!
Love Vegan Chickpea Recipes?
If you want more vegan garbanzo bean recipes, I’ve got plenty to share with you! Here are some of my favorite:
- These spicy Roasted Chickpeas are a crunchy snack!
- This Green Hummus is the best dip and a favorite chickpea vegan recipe!
- Try this Vegan Mac and Cheese with Smoky Chickpeas for your next weeknight meal
- For a real twist, this Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cake is made with chickpeas as well!
Because we made this chickpea curry recipe vegan and because we love it so much, we hope you will too! If you decide to make it, be sure to snap a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
One-Pot Chickpea Coconut Curry
- 15 oz can coconut milk
- 3 cans of water fill that coconut milk can 3 times
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3-4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 cup carrots finely chopped
- 1 potato chopped into small cubes
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1-3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro fresh is best but dried will work too
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Other ingredients: Steamed broccoli and/or cauliflower florets
- Serve with Baked Naan
- Combine the coconut milk, water, basmati rice, minced garlic, chopped carrots, potato cubes and rinsed chickpeas in a large pot over medium-high heat. Bring the pot to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for about 20 minutes. The basmati rice should be tender at this point and the sauce should be very thick.
- Add the frozen corn and peas and stir until combined.
- Before serving add the curry, Bragg (or soy), the juice of one lime, and the chopped cilantro. Stir to combine and this One Pot Wonder is ready to be eaten!
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Mentioned in this Post
Here are some recipes mentioned in this post: