This easy One-Pot Chickpea Coconut Curry is made with flavorful rice, potatoes, and all the right seasonings. It’s a vegan coconut curry made without dairy or eggs. Because it’s a one-pot recipe, this vegan chickpea curry recipe with coconut milk recipe is easy to make.
It’s easy to make a coconut curry vegan by using coconut milk. Combining chickpea, coconut milk, and rice may not be your first guess at a delicious recipe. But this combination of ingredients makes the finished recipe so creamy and delicious!
Vegan Coconut Curry
First of all, this vegetarian chickpea curry recipe started out as a multi-step recipe that took a lot of twists and turns…and time! It was delicious, but I wasn’t certain I wanted to make it again because of all the work involved.
Instead, I decided to throw it all together and cook it. So, that means the first thing you’ll love about this recipe is that it’s so easy! Throw everything in a pot and let it cook together. Perfection!
Also, curry is actually a combination of several spices, including turmeric! And everyone knows that turmeric is the bomb when it comes to fighting inflammation!
I love these tips on making delicious curry casserole.
Finally, this recipe includes rice, peas, carrots, and more. As a result, this chickpea coconut curry is more like comfort food than some exotic vegan dish!
How to Make Chickpea Coconut Curry
Begin by combining coconut milk, water, basmati rice, minced garlic, chopped carrots, potato cubes and rinsed chickpeas in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Bring the pot to a simmer, and then reduce the heat to medium, and cook for about 20 minutes. The basmati rice and veggies should be tender at this point and the sauce should be very thick.
Add the frozen corn and peas and stir until combined.
Finally, add the curry spice, tamari, the juice of one lime, and the chopped cilantro. Stir to combine and this One Pot Wonder is ready to be eaten!
Use these tips to make this chickpea coconut curry perfect every time:
- Use brown jasmin rice. It’s a little pricier, but it adds a whole grain ( love!)
- I use tamari which is basically a gluten-free version of soy sauce. Feel free to use soy sauce if you don’t care about gluten
- If you want the potatoes and carrots to cook more quickly, chop them smaller and you can cook them in the microwave for a few minutes before adding them to the pot
- Try adding some chopped cauliflower florets while the curry is cooking
- Sprinkle the finished dish with sesame seeds
- Serve with steamed broccoli
- Be sure to serve this chickpea coconut curry with freshly baked naan bread and enjoy!
So, if you’re looking for an Indian chickpea curry that’s vegan, easy, creamy, delicious, and healthy? Well, then this may just be the One Pot Wonder for you too!
Because we love this chickpea coconut curry recipe so much, We hope you will too! If you decide to make it, be sure to snap a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
One-Pot Chickpea Coconut Curry
- 15 oz can coconut milk
- 3 cans of water fill that coconut milk can 3 times
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3-4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 cup carrots finely chopped
- 1 potato chopped into small cubes
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1-3 tablespoons curry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro fresh is best but dried will work too
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Other ingredients: Steamed broccoli and/or cauliflower florets
- Serve with Baked Naan
- Combine the coconut milk, water, basmati rice, minced garlic, chopped carrots, potato cubes and rinsed chickpeas in a large pot over medium-high heat. Bring the pot to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for about 20 minutes. The basmati rice should be tender at this point and the sauce should be very thick.
- Add the frozen corn and peas and stir until combined.
- Before serving add the curry, Bragg (or soy), the juice of one lime, and the chopped cilantro. Stir to combine and this One Pot Wonder is ready to be eaten!