This easy vegan Chickpea Curry Recipe is made with rice, potatoes, and all the right seasonings. It’s a perfect addition to your weeknight meals, because it’s a one-pot recipe.
Be sure to serve some baked vegan naan on the side.
It’s easy to make a chickpea curry recipe extra creamy by using coconut milk. Combining chickpea, coconut milk, and rice may not be your first guess at a delicious recipe. But this combination of ingredients makes this curried chickpea recipe so creamy and delicious!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Coconut milk — You’ll need a 15-ounce can of full-fat coconut. Or you can substitute lite coconut, but it will yield a less creamy experience.
- Basmati rice — You can substitute white rice or brown basmati.
- Garlic — You’ll need 3 to 4 cloves
- Carrots — We’ll be using about 1 cup of chopped/sliced carrots.
- Potato — Just about any potato will do here, including red, white, gold, or even a sweet potato.
- Chickpeas — You’ll need a 15-ounce can.
- Curry powder — I really like McCormick’s curry powder because of the blend of ingredients it uses.
- Tamari or soy sauce — I like using tamari because it’s a gluten-free version of soy sauce.
- Lime — You can use either a fresh lime to make juice or bottled juice.
- Cilantro — Fresh is the most flavorful, but you can use dried cilantro or substitute fresh parsley.
- Frozen corn — I highly recommend frozen or fresh corn over canned corn.
- Frozen peas
- Other ingredients — You can add steamed broccoli and/or cut cauliflower florets
How to Make Chickpea Curry
- Prepare the base by adding the coconut milk, water, rice, garlic, carrots, potatoes, and chickpeas in a large pot and simmer (low boil) for about 20 minutes, until the carrots are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the frozen corn and peas.
- Immediately before serving add the curry, tamari, lime juice, and the chopped cilantro. Stir to combine and it’s ready to be eaten!
The coconut milk combines with the spices to make a deliciously creamy vegan curry sauce that is best when served with naan bread.
Store chickpea curry in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. To thaw, transfer the dish to the fridge overnight or use the defrost setting on your microwave.
Can you freeze chickpea curry?
A chickpea curry freezes beautifully! Simply cook the recipe and then allow it to cool before transferring to freezer-safe containers. It will keep in the freezer up to 3 months. To reheat, cook in the microwave until heated through.
Are chickpeas the same as garbanzo beans?
The chickpea and garbanzo bean are different names for the same thing. Whatever you call it, it’s a popular legume used in a variety of recipes, from salads to hummus, soups, and more!
What is curry powder made from?
Most curry powders are made from a mixture of spices, including turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, and coriander (the seeds of the cilantro plant).
Use these tips to make this chickpea coconut curry perfect every time:
- Try adding some chopped cauliflower florets while the curry is cooking
- Sprinkle the finished chickpeas curry with sesame seeds
- Serve vegan chickpea curry with steamed broccoli
- Curry powders vary greatly in the ingredients they have. In addition, if it has been sitting for a while, it may have lost some flavor. Taste your chickpea curry before serving and add 1 to 2 additional tablespoons curry powder for even more flavor.
- Serve chickpea curry with vegan naan bread and steamed broccoli. Also having additional tamari and sriracha is nice too.
Vegan Rice Recipes
Because we made this chickpea curry recipe vegan and because we love it so much, we hope you will too! If you decide to make it, be sure to snap a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Vegan Chickpea Curry Recipe
- 15 oz can coconut milk
- 3 cans of water fill that coconut milk can 3 times
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3-4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 cup carrots finely chopped
- 1 potato chopped into small cubes
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained
- 1-3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro fresh is best but dried will work too
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Other ingredients: Steamed broccoli and/or cauliflower florets
- Serve with Baked Naan
- Combine the coconut milk, water, basmati rice, minced garlic, chopped carrots, potato cubes and rinsed chickpeas in a large pot over medium-high heat. Bring the pot to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for about 20 minutes. The basmati rice should be tender at this point and the sauce should be very thick.
- Add the frozen corn and peas and stir until combined.
- Before serving add the curry, Bragg (or soy), the juice of one lime, and the chopped cilantro. Stir to combine and this One Pot Wonder is ready to be eaten!
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.