I’m about to say something that may cause great disturbance within the universe. Or at least my universe. OK. Really, it will just cause my mom to go, “What the heck is wrong with you!” Of course, “heck” is kind of strong language for her. She might just raise her hand to my head to check if I’m feverish first. Anyway, here’s the thing. I’m really digging Chocolate Covered Cherries. Why is this such a big deal? Because I always hated those ones that came in the boxes. You know what I’m talking about? The $1.50 a box kind with that leaky, sugary stuff that oozes out when you take a bite? Sorry, but I just think that stuff is gross. I thought the chocolate covered cherry was forever lost to me. Until now.
I’ve seen a whole slew of chocolate combined with fresh fruit, from chocolate-filled strawberries to chocolate-filled raspberries. I just decided to extend that to the beloved cherry.
Because, you know, combining chocolate and cherries is so original. [insert eye roll here]
I made these delicious little treats on a whim and I’m so glad I did. The dark chocolate is combined with a little coconut oil and I dipped the cherries right in the middle of it. After a little time allowing the chocolate to set, you’re good to go.
There’s nothing like a crunchy layer of dark chocolate over a juicy, fresh cherry.
Of course, I can’t forget one crucial step.
You’ll want to remove that pit! There are those who will suggest some fancy tool you can buy. I just use freshly washed needle nose pliers. I insert the pliers on both sides of the stem, grab the pit inside, give it a twist and pull it out. It’s easy peasy!
Then I put the stem back in the chocolate before it’s set because, well, you know, the stem is so cute! Besides, having a stem makes these treats easy to grab.
If you like this recipe as much as I do, I’d love it if you shared it on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter! Just use the share button on the left-hand side of the screen. If you decide to make it yourself, you can also share your photo with me on Instagram using #NamelyMarly. I can’t wait to see them!
Chocolate Covered Cherries
- 24 fresh cherries with stems
- 1 cup chocolate chips dairy free
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Carefully remove the pit from each cherry, reserving the stem for decorations.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Add the two tablespoons of coconut oil and give it a stir. Heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Remove and stir and repeat until the chocolate is mostly melted.
- Prepare a tray by covering it with waxed paper.
- Dip the pitted cherries in the dark chocolate and placing it on the waxed paper to allow the chocolate to set. For added show, insert the stem back into the center of the cherry so the chocolate will set around it.