These vegan stuffed cherry tomatoes are delicate, delicious, and definitely a show stopper at your next party. Serve them as a snack or as a perfect party appetizer.
Shawn and I were at a reception recently with an alluring spread of bite-sized morsels. I love, love love being a vegan, but there are these minuscule moments when I take pause. Like the night we were at that reception. It’s hard looking at an elegant display of food and knowing you can’t have any of it.
But, my favorite thing is to see snacks like those and veganize them. That’s what I did with these stuffed cherry tomatoes and it’s perfection!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Cherry tomatoes are bite-size veggies and are usually a better texture and sweeter than larger tomatoes.
- Creating a filling made from vegan cream cheese tastes delicious, creamy, and works for people with dairy intolerances as well
- Garnishing tomatoes with fresh herbs adds both visual appeal and flavor to every bite!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Cherry tomatoes — You’ll need around 20 cherry tomatoes
- Vegan cream cheese — You can use storebought vegan cream cheese like Daiya or Tofutti, or you can make homemade vegan cream cheese.
- Garlic — 1 clove garlic , peeled and minced
- Green Onions — 2 teaspoons chopped green onions
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Garnish — Use fresh herbs like chopped parsley or basil to garnish the tomatoes.
How to Make Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
- Prepare the tomatoes by cutting off the tops. then cut off a thin slice of the bottom of the cherry tomato to create a level base for it to stand on.
- Scoop out the seeds and pulp and sprinkle the insides with a bit of salt and pepper. Invert the shells on paper towels to drain for 10 minutes.
- Stir together the vegan cream cheese with seasonings.
- Fill the hollow part of the tomatoes with the cream cheese mixture. Garnish with fresh herbs.
- Place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve chilled stuffed cherry tomatoes on a serving dish with fresh herbs.
Store the tomatoes in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge, but they are best when consumed within 24 hours.
More Vegan Appetizers
Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 clove garlic , peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Cut off the tops of the cherry tomatoes. Cut off a thin slice of the bottom of the cherry tomato to create a level base for it to stand on. Scoop out the seeds and pulp and sprinkle the insides with a bit of salt and pepper. Invert the shells on paper towels to drain for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, stir together the vegan cream cheese with seasonings.
- Fill the hollow part of the tomatoes with the cream cheese mixture. Garnish with chopped pecans or herbs. Place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- To serve, stand the chilled tomatoes on a serving dish.
- Store them in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2013 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2020.