Make this creamy vegan corn chowder recipe infused with your favorite flavors. Be sure to serve it with vegan biscuits or your favorite bread!
Corn has been a favorite dish of mine beginning in my childhood years. Maybe it’s from growing up in the midwest, around fields of corn as far as the eye could see. I think it has more to do with its comforting flavors, especially when combined with the right ingredients.
This vegan potato corn chowder is a favorite dish to serve with vegan cornbread or any favorite side dish!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Potatoes add texture, making each bite creamy and delicious
- Using frozen corn adds the flavor of fresh while still keeping this soup easy to make
- Nutritional yeast flakes add a cheesy flavor, making it an undeniable favorite
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Olive oil
- Chopped onions — A yellow onion works great here
- Red bell peppers
- Vegetable broth — I recommend a high-quality vegetable broth, like Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian
- Potatoes — You’ll need 5 medium Yukon gold or russet potatoes washed (not peeled), and cut into ½” cubes
- Corn — I recommend using either fresh or frozen corn, not canned.
- Nutritional yeast flakes — I’m a fan of these cheesy flakes. I like adding nutritional yeast flakes to a lot of my recipes, especially soups like this one
- Salt & pepper
- Toppings — Add your favorite toppings like vegan bacon, vegan cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, vegan sour cream
How to Make Vegan Corn Chowder
- Cook onions in oil in a pot over medium heat, until just becoming tender.
- Add the chopped bell peppers and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth and potatoes, turn the heat up, and bring the pot to a boil.
- Then reduce heat to simmer (low boil) for approximately 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Mash the ingredients to make a creamy base for this soup.
- Stir in the corn, thyme, and nutritional yeast flakes and cook until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and bread.
Try serving your soup with any of the following toppings and sides:
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. It can be frozen in freezer-safe containers for up to 2 months. To serve, transfer containers to the fridge overnight to thaw. Then cook soup on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through.
How do you thicken corn chowder?
Cooking corn chowder with potatoes and then mashing or blending part of the soup creates a thick chowder.
More Soup Recipes
I hope you love this vegan corn and potato chowder as much as we do!
Vegan Corn Chowder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped red bell peppers
- 5 cups vegetable broth (see notes)
- 5 medium Yukon gold potatoes washed (not peeled), cut into ½" cubes
- 3 cups frozen corn
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Toppings: vegan bacon, vegan cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, vegan sour cream
- Add oil to a pot over medium heat. Stir in the chopped onions. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onions are just becoming tender. Add the chopped bell peppers and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth and potatoes. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring the pot to a boil. Then reduce heat to simmer for approximately 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- You can use a potato masher to mash the ingredients. An immersion blender works great as well. Otherwise, you can use a blender. Never fill a blender more than half-way full of hot liquid (so you may have to work in batches). Remove the center cap of the blender. Place the lid on the blender and cover it with a kitchen towel. Pulse in short bursts until it's smooth, but with some texture. Repeat with the second batch. Optional: You can add up to half of the corn to blend it as well.
- Return the mix back to the pot, add the corn, thyme, and nutritional yeast flakes. Stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with favorite toppings like veggie bacon, green onions, vegan cheddar shreds, and even vegan sour cream.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.