This Vegan Apple Crisp recipe features layers of tasty, tender cinnamon-infused apples covered with a crispy topping. A Vegan Apple Crumble recipe is a favorite dessert, especially when topped with vegan ice cream! See post for making vegan gluten free apple crisp.
If you’re like me, vegan apple recipes are a favorite. Take a look at my deep dish Vegan Apple Pie recipe and you’ll see how much I love vegan apple desserts recipes!
The Apple Crisp has been around for nearly 100 years! There’s a reason for that. It’s a simple recipe, made with limited ingredients, and yet still hits all those pleasure points in the taste buds!
What Apples Work Best for Apple Crisp?
It’s best to use a mixture of apples for an apple crisp. For example, combining both granny smith apples (for their firmness and tartness) and golden delicious apples (for their tenderness and sweetness), is a great combination. You can also add Honey Crisp to this mix as well.
How to Make Vegan Apple Crisp
There’s a lot of similarities between a crisp and a cobbler, both with crispy toppings over fruit. So, you could look at this very similarly to an apple cobbler recipe. It works. However, in this vegan crumble recipe, we’re going for a crispy crumble over sensationally delicious apple slices.
Step One: Prepare the Apple Slices
Let’s start with the apples. If you’re wondering how to prepare apples for an apple crisp, it’s the same process used for apple pie. See my post on Cutting Apples for Apple Pie.
To prepare the apples, simply peel, core, and slice into thin slices, keeping them consistent in size. Immediately toss apple slices with lemon juice to prevent them from browning.
Did you know you can make baked apple slices without the crumble topping? It’s a nice, light dessert!
Next, create the apple filling mixture by combining the flour, sugar, and spices. Pour this mixture over the apples and toss to coat.
Let the apples sit for awhile while you prepare the crumble topping.
Step Two: Vegan Crumble Topping
Mix together the flour, oats, sugar, spices, and salt. Then add melted vegan butter and stir that together. That’s your crumble topping. Easy peasy!
Of course, you can make apple crisp without butter by using melted coconut oil instead.
Layer Apples in your Casserole Dish
It may be tempting to just dump the prepared apples in your casserole dish, but I highly recommend using your fingers to layer the apples. It ensures that every inch of the casserole dish has a nice, thick layer of apples. And it’s a better presentation of your dairy free apple crisp in the end.
Once the apple layers are in place, top with the crumble coating. You can use a spoon here, but fingers work quite nicely too. Make sure the topping is spread evenly across the top of the apples!
Baking Apple Crisp
I recommend placing the casserole dish on a baking sheet in case it bubbles over the side while baking. If you’re using a larger dish, like a 9X13 baking pan, you might not need to do that, but when using a smaller dish, like a casserole dish, it can help.
Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes. You’ll know that the apple crisp is done because it has a beautiful golden crust on top and the edges are bubbly. Vegetarian apple recipes are simply amazing!
When it’s done remove it from the oven and allow it to set for at least 30 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken and for the crisp to cool off.
Use these expert tips to make this easy vegan apple crisp perfect every time:
- The recipe calls for vegan butter, I used Earth Balance buttery sticks
- It’s easy to make a vegan gluten free apple crisp by substituting a 1:1 gluten free flour for all purpose flour
- Apples can brown quickly so coating with lemon juice as soon as possible helps
- I don’t typically peel things (because I like the nutrients in the peel), but peeled apples in this recipe is best. Save the peels for use in a smoothie
- If you prefer not to use vegan butter, you can make apple crisp with coconut oil. Simply substitute coconut oil for vegan butter.
- You can substitute part or all of the brown sugar for coconut sugar if you prefer it.
- Feel free to add up to a half cup of raisins and/or chopped walnuts to the apple mixture before adding the crumble.
Best Vegan Desserts
No doubt, this simple vegan apple crumble is incredible! And now you’re ready for even more vegan dessert recipes! Be sure to check these out:
- This Vegan Fruit Crisp is a healthy, no bake dessert
- Make a delightful Vegan Spiced Pear Cake
- This Vegan Blueberry Cake is beautiful and delicious
- Everyone loves these Blueberry Lemon Pie Bars
- For a change of pace try this Blueberry Crumble
- This Banana Chia Pudding is topped with Blackberry sauce.
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Apple Crisp
- 8 cups peeled and cubed apples (see note on apples)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Crumble Topping:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup vegan butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9X13 dish or 1.5 quart casserole dish with vegetable spray.
- Peel and cube the apple and add to a mixing bowl and immediately toss with lemon juice. In a seperate bowl stir together the brown sugar, flour, spices, and salt. Pour this over the apples and toss to coat all the apple pieces. Set aside while you prepare the crumble.
For the Crumble Topping
- To prepare the crumble topping, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Pour melted butter and stir to combine.
- Lay prepared apple slices in layers in your prepared dish. Use either a spoon or your fingers to distriute the crumble over the top of the apples. Distribute it equally across the top.
- Place on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 50 minutes, until the sides are bubbly and the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 15 – 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with vegan vanilla ice cream or and vegan caramel sauce.
- Cover any uneaten apple crisp and store in the fridge for up to 7 days. Apple crisp can be frozen for up to 3 months.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.