I like you all so much. I hope it’s not too early in our relationship to say this? But it’s one of the reasons I hesitate to share this recipe with you. Because it’s so good, it’s scary. And, you know, I don’t want to scare you or anything. But then I realized you have to try this recipe, so I couldn’t forgive myself if I didn’t share it with you. Do you see the dilemma I’m in? So, here we go. No Churn Vegan Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Your life may never be the same.
I scream for ice cream. Do you?
Actually, that statement could be taken a little bit on the literal side. That’s because ice cream was actually the way that I discovered I have a dairy allergy.
I lived with chronic stomach issues for most of my life, but we couldn’t figure out what the problem was. I eventually lost my gallbladder in the battle. Pardon me as I take a moment of silence for the loss of a (hopefully) non-essential organ.
However, one day after eating some particularly rich ice cream I noticed some stomach cramping going on. And then I waited a few days and tried it again. I’m from Missouri, the show-me state, so we can be a bit stubborn. That’s why continued experimentation was required. Well, sure enough I experienced the same cramping each time I ate that ice cream.
It’s not as if I screamed, but there was some definite pain involved.
I thought my ice cream days were over. :\
What I’ve learned is that just because you’ve given up dairy doesn’t mean you have to give up flavor. There are so many ways to bake and cook without dairy and now that includes dairy-free ice cream as well.
One of my favorite ice cream flavors was chocolate chip. So today I’m sharing with you this No Churn Vegan Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.
No Churn means you don’t need some ice cream machine to make this happen. Go ahead. Do your happy dance. I’ll wait. 🙂
This No Churn Vegan Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is so easy to make, you’ll want to make it more than a few times, especially with the summer months coming up. It’s also affordable. With less than 10 ingredients, you can make this recipe today and enjoy a bowl after dinner tonight!
How to Make No Churn Vegan Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
This No Churn Vegan Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is not only super delicious, it’s also easy to make.
Look, we used to have an ice cream maker, but somehow when we moved that little machine disappeared. Again, I can be a little stubborn so I’m SURE I’m going to find it somewhere. I know one day I’ll be looking for, I dunno, maybe my favorite belt, and I’ll be like “Oh, there’s the ice cream maker! What’s it doing in this box of accessories?”
While I’m waiting on that ice cream maker to find me, I’m working on No Churn ice cream recipes. I’m also finding that No Churn ice cream recipes are kind of, well, easy!
I was inspired to try a no churn ice cream when I saw a recipe for one made with whipped cream. And I recently made this Coconut Whipped Cream so I thought why not turn that into a no churn vegan ice cream?
That recipe also called for sweetened condensed milk and that’s when I thought why not make a thick creamy, sweetened milk with dates instead of sugar? And that’s kind of where this recipe was born. Because once I added the dates, this ice cream started to turn into exactly what I was looking for — a naturally sweet, easy vegan ice cream recipe.
I added a little coffee liqueur to keep the ice cream rich and creamy, but also to add even more rich, delicious flavoring to the mix.
We hope you love this No Churn Vegan Chocolate Chip Ice Cream as much as we do! If you decide to give it a try, snap a photo and share it using #namelymary on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
No Churn Vegan Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 1 cup pitted Mejdool dates approximately 8, chopped
- 1 cup plant-based milk soy, almond, etc, vanilla-flavored
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 - 3 tablespoons coffee liqueur
- 1 can chilled full-fat coconut milk Trader Joe's is perfect here
- ¼ - ½ cup Cacao Nibs*
- Place a mixing bowl in the freezer
- Put the chopped dates in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Add the plant-based milk. Heat in the microwave for about 1 minute. Place a plate over the bowl to trap the heat. Set aside for about 10 minutes, until the dates are tender.
- Place the date mixture in the bowl of a food processor. Add the vanilla and liqueur. Pulse until smooth, up to a minute or more. Remove the lid and push down any ingredients that may have risen up the sides. Pulse again. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the freezer and get out the can of chilled full-fat coconut milk (I leave all my coconut milk in the fridge so I always have a chilled can at the ready).** Put on the whipping attachment for your mixer and whip the coconut milk until stiff peaks form, 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the chilled date mixture. Add all of the date mixture to the coconut milk. Use your mixer to whip and combine these ingredients. Add the cacao nibs and stir to combine.
- Spread into a loaf pan. Place in the freezer for 3-4 hours.
- Remove from the freezer and allow to sit for a few minutes to soften. Then serve just as you would ice cream, on cones, in a bowl, or just get out a spoon and enjoy.
- Once frozen, transfer the ice cream to a lidded container and store in the freezer when it's not being eaten.
If you love a good vegan ice cream, you’ll want to check these out:
- Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream by the Vegan 8
- Vegan Roasted Banana Ice Cream by the NY Times
- Key Lime Vegan Ice Cream by the Roasted Root
- Chubba Hubba Vegan Ice Cream by yours truly!
Whatever vegan ice cream you’re noshing on…Enjoy!