This healthy vegan strawberry banana bread recipe is easy to make and yields moist bread with a crispy top crust. It’s an adaptation of the standard vegan banana bread, and the flavor is amazing! This is an egg-free, dairy-free recipe that uses bananas as an egg replacer.
Wondering what to do with those delicious strawberries you found on sale at the supermarket? And I don’t know about you, but I’m always looking for recipes to use up bananas.
This healthy Strawberry Banana Bread is a tasty idea to solve both dilemmas!
- Using coconut or brown sugar adds hints of caramel, complementing the flavor of the bananas in this bread
- Bananas and strawberries are a favorite flavor combination, and they come together perfectly in this loaf
- Adding coconut oil creates deliciously moist slices that have both texture and crumb.
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Baking soda
- Coconut oil
- Sugar — You can use coconut sugar or brown sugar
- Ground flaxseed — You can use ground flaxseed or substitute chia seeds.
- Vegan sour cream — If you don’t have vegan sour cream, you can combine an equal amount of silken tofu combined with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
How to Make Strawberry Banana Bread
- Mix together the dry ingredients. Stir in the chopped strawberriers.
- Pulse the wet ingredients (from the bananas to the sour cream) in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Make the batter by stirring together the dry mixture with the sour cream mixture.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Allow the baked bread to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
Here are more detailed step-by-step instructions:
Step One: Combine Dry Ingredients
In a bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir together and set aside. Fold in the strawberries, reserving some to place on top of the loaf before baking.
Step Two: Prepare Wet Ingredients
In a food processor add sliced banana, coconut oil, coconut sugar, ground flaxseed, cornstarch, water, and vegan sour cream. Pulse until smooth (or leave some banana texture, whichever is your preference).
Step Three: Prepare the Batter
Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined. I use a rubber spatula and give it a good stir, making sure there aren’t any large lumps of flour.
Note: Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to make strawberry banana nut bread.
Step Four: Bake
Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan, top the batter with sliced strawberries, and bake for 50 to 60 minutes. It should develop a golden crust on top and pull away from the edges of the pan slightly. A tester inserted in the center should come out clean.
When the bread is done, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool before slicing. I like to let it sit for at least 15 minutes to allow the loaf to firm up.
To store, allow the bread to cool completely and then store in a sealed container in the fridge up to 7 days. You can freeze this bread by placing individual slices on a tray in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag. They will keep up to 2 months in the freezer.
- Adding strawberries to this recipe is more than flavorful, strawberries are healthy too! Strawberries are loaded with Vitamin C, Manganese and even some fiber to sweeten the deal.
- I call for using a food processor with the banana mixture. If you prefer some banana texture in your bread, you can hand mash bananas or simply pulse a few times, leaving some banana bits
- Transform the batter into strawberry banana muffins by pouring it into muffin pans lined with papers. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- I recommend serving individual slices either cold or heated in a toaster oven
More Strawberry Recipes
Vegan Strawberry Banana Bread
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large bananas sliced
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons water
- ½ cup vegan sour cream (or silken tofu combined with 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1 cup strawberries chopped
- Heat your oven to 350°F/180°C. Spray a loaf pan with vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a food processor add the bananas, coconut oil, sugar, vanilla, flax, cornstarch, water, and sour cream. Pulse until smooth and creamy. (See note)
- Fold the chopped strawberries into the flour mixture, reserving a few slices for the top of the bread. Stir until the strawberries are coated. Add the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow the bread to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
- To store, allow the bread to cool completely and then store in a sealed container in the fridge up to 7 days. You can freeze this bread by placing individual slices on a tray in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag. They will keep up to 2 months in the freezer.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2019 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.