Enjoy carrot cake for breakfast with these spicy, whole-grain Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins. They’re lightly sweetened and topped with a delicate cream cheese drizzle. Bring your home to life with the smell of freshly baked muffins, full of plump raisins, it’s a breakfast-approved twist on one of your all-time favorites.
You know, I had my fling with the carrot cake a couple of years ago when I made this vegan carrot cake. The thing is, I had been an eater of carrot cakes, but never a maker. Believe it or not, with all my baking experience, I felt intimidated by the idea of making a carrot cake.
Then I finally made one. And here’s what I did. I based it off my of my easy wacky cake recipes. Just add in some shredded carrots and nuts and spices and voila!
And once that barrier was broken down, now I’m thinking of all kinds of way to use my newfound passion for making carrot cake recipes. For example, carrot cake muffins. 🥕 ❤️
Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
We’re all looking for healthy ways to start out our days and these vegan carrot cake muffins deliver on both flavor and healthy. Here’s how:
- I use whole wheat pastry flour to keep add lots of fiber
- Carrots are naturally healthy and the antioxidants found in carrots (beta carotene) can be converted by the body into Vitamin A which is important for good eyesight
- This recipe uses applesauce to help keep the fat content down
- You’ll also find chia seeds as an egg replacer which keeps the cholesterol out and some heart healthy Omega-3s instead.
There’s a lot of reasons to love these healthiness of these vegan carrot cake muffins!
Making Moist Muffins
Oftentimes it’s the fat content that makes muffins so moist. However, I used a different approach by adding applesauce to the recipe. I love how applesauce creates a moist muffin while adding a hint of sweetness to it as well.
Now, please note, I used unsweetened applesauce. Any sweetness added to these healthy muffins comes from the natural sweetness of apples. That means I can add a little less processed sweeteners to these muffins which is perfect.
Tips for Perfect Muffins…
- Be sure to have your oven heated and ready to go once you combine the wet and dry ingredients to get fluffy muffins
- Make sure you don’t over mix the batter — stir until just combined
- Fill the muffin compartments 3/4 full
- Use a cookie scoop to help distribute the batter equally among muffin compartments
- Don’t over process the carrots. Just some quick pulses in the food processor until they’re broken down into smaller bits
- Wait until the muffins cool before adding the cheesecake drizzle
- Refrigerate these muffins for up to a week or freeze them for up to 2 months.
There you have it, my tips for making these vegan carrot cake muffins! Look at that creamy cheesecake drizzle!
We are loving this recipe for vegan carrot cake muffins and we hope you will too! If you make a batch, grab your phone and snap a photo! Then head to Instagram and use #namelymarly to share your creation with me. We love seeing your photos!
Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ cup applesauce , unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Vegan Cream Cheese Drizzle
- ¼ cup vegan cream cheese , softened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter powder
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to a medium bowl; stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add the carrots. Pulse until broken down into large pieces. Add coconut sugar, vegetable oil, applesauce, chia seeds, vanilla, milk and vinegar. Pulse again until carrots are broken down to grated texture.
- Pour the ingredients from the food processor into the flour mixture. Stir until just combined (be careful not to over mix). Divide batter evenly between muffins containers.
- Bake for 20 – 22 minutes. Insert a tester in the middle of one of the cupcakes to make sure it comes out clean. When done, remove from oven and cool for 5 – 7 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool some more.
- Make cream cheese drizzle by placing vegan cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl with maple syrup. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir the cream cheese and maple syrup together. Add the vanilla and peanut butter powder and stir until you get a spreadable consistency. Drizzle over the top of each muffin.
- Store muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. You can freeze these muffins for up to two months.
If you like this recipe, you might also like…
Chai Tea Muffins with pumpkin seeds are another sweet and spicy muffin to get your day started out right.
Ginger pear donuts are also sweet and spicy and look at that vanilla drizzle!