Enjoy this easy, delicious Vanilla Wacky Cake, made with minimal ingredients, on a casual weeknight or dress it up as a fancy weekend dessert. Vanilla crazy cake recipes are made without dairy (milk or eggs) and yet is moist and delicious. Make this depression cake vanilla with a tasty chocolate frosting recipe!
We are loving this white wacky cake recipe because it’s rich and delicious, but oh-so-easy to make.
Why is it called Wacky Cake?
The wacky cake, sometimes referred to as a depression cake recipe, was created as a result of lack of access to certain food products, such as eggs and dairy. I guess some people thought that a vanilla cake without eggs or milk was downright wacky! So, there you have it, a wacky cake is named because of the paradigm shift it caused.
The Food Timeline places the first mention of the Wacky Cake around 1940.
Why do you put vinegar in cake?
Vinegar is necessary in the wacky cake recipe because it creates a chemical reaction with the baking soda, causing lift and rise which is necessary for high, fluffy cakes.
Crazy Vanilla Cake Without Eggs
So, my friend Cara, came to town and stayed with me a couple of days. I promised to make her my Chocolate Glazed Donuts. She loved them.
That set the stage for the day and when it came time for dessert, I had to make sure it was a home run!
So, I had to pull out all the stops. And sure, I’ve shared with you the Chocolate Wacky Cake, but in the meantime I vanilla-ized it and, OMG, it’s so good. Dare I say even better than the chocolate?
That’s right, this egg free vanilla cake recipe is better than chocolate!
Why You’ll Love Vegan Vanilla Wacky Cake
Just like all the wacky cake recipes, this is a super easy cake without eggs and milk. And you don’t want to spend an extra minute in the kitchen if you don’t have to.
This wacky cake vanilla recipe takes only a minimal amount of ingredients and a few minutes to throw together. Leave the mixer in the cupboard. You don’t need it.
How to Make Vanilla Wacky Cake
When it comes to making cakes without eggs or milk, you need only a few ingredients: flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, water, vegetable oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Of course, I use vegan vanilla protein powder as well.
Usually, I will just make one layer of the dairy free vanilla cake recipe and it makes a nice, simple dessert. But it’s also fun to double that recipe and make a layer cake. If you’re curious how to make cake recipes without eggs or milk, here are the steps in this recipe for crazy cake vanilla:
Step One: Combine Dry Ingredients
Combine in a large mixing bowl the flour, sugar, vanilla protein powder, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine.
Step Two: Combine Wet Ingredients
In a smaller bowl combine the vegetable oil, water, vinegar and vanilla. Stir to combine.
Step Three: Make the Batter
Pour the vinegar mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until combined.
Step Four: Pour and Bake
Pour the batter into your prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar or top with Vegan Chocolate Frosting.
Use these expert tips to make this no egg no milk cake perfect every time:
- Be sure to have the oven preheated to 350F before mixing the wet and dry vanilla depression cake ingredients together
- Use fresh baking soda! Test your baking soda by adding a teaspoonful into a bowl and add a bit of vinegar. If it bubbles, the baking soda is good!
- I know you may balk at using vegan vanilla protein powder, but I swear it makes the best cake. Think of this way, you’re not including eggs in this recipe, and eggs have protein. Adding some protein powder is a way of replacing that protein, creating the best cake possible!
- Want to try a banana wack cake? Add a mashed banana to the batter and enjoy the moisture that bananas add!
- You can change up the frosting you use on this vanilla cake with no eggs. You can even try the vegan cream cheese frosting from this Vegan Carrot Cake recipe.
- Or how about the strawberry frosting from this Vegan Strawberry Cake recipe!
Vanilla wacky cake recipes are like the little black dress of cakes. You can eat it casually on a Thursday night, or you can dress it up (by adding another layer) and voila! It’s ready for prime time! You could also create variations of the Vegan Vanilla Wacky Cake by adding:
- Chocolate chips could turn this into a Chocolate Chip Vanilla Cake
- Add some orange zest to make a delicious orange cake (YAS!)
- Sprinkle some coconut flakes on the frosting
- Peanut Butter frosting between the two layers would be delicious!
Watch my video on making the chocolate wacky cake to help you with making this vegan vanilla wacky cake.
I love some amazing frosting on my cake, so you’ll find my tips for that in this recipe as well. But if you want to skip that step, you can always just give it a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
Love Dairy Free Cake Recipes?
If you haven’t guessed by now, I love a good dairy free cake. If you agree, you’ll want to check these out:
- For example, there’s this tender Vegan Chunky Monkey Cake. Yum!
- This Vegan Chocolate Chai Cake adds delicious chai spices to chocolate cake!
- Make this Vegan Texas Sheet Cake and you’ll be so glad!
We hope you love this Vegan Vanilla Wacky Cake as much as we do. If you decide to make this cake, snap a photo and use #namelymarly on Instagram or Snapchat (I’m @namelymarly there). We love seeing your photos!
Vanilla Wacky Cake Recipe
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a round cake pan with vegetable spray. You can also place a piece of parchment paper at the bottom of the pan and spray the sides with vegetable oil.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl the flour, sugar, vanilla protein powder, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- In a smaller bowl combine the vegetable oil, water, vinegar and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Pour the water mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar or top with Chocolate Frosting**
Whatever cake you’re sticking your fork in, enjoy!