Enjoy this easy, delicious Vegan Vanilla Wacky Cake, made with minimal ingredients, on a casual weeknight or dress it up as a fancy weekend dessert. This cake is make without dairy (milk or eggs) and yet is moist and delicious. The wacky cake is a depression-era cake using inexpensive and less-scarce ingredients.
We are loving this Vegan Vanilla Wacky Cake because it’s rich and delicious, but oh-so-easy to make. If you haven’t guessed by now, I love a good vegan cake. For example, there’s my Vegan Chunky Monkey Cake, my Vegan Chocolate Chai Cake, and my Vegan Texas Sheet Cake. It’s all about the cake!
So, my friend Cara, came to town and stayed with me a couple of days. I promised to make her my Chocolate Glazed Donuts. She loved them.
That set the stage for the day and when it came time for dessert, I had to make sure it was a home run!
So, what could I do? I had to pull out all the stops. And sure, I’ve shared with you the Vegan Chocolate Wacky Cake, but in the meantime I vanilla-ized it and, OMG, it’s so good. Dare I say even better than the chocolate?
How can anything be better than the chocolate?
But there is chocolate frosting so there’s that.
Why You’ll Love Vegan Vanilla Wacky Cake
Just like all the wacky cakes, this is a super easy recipe. And when you’ve got friends or family in town, you don’t want to spend an extra minute in the kitchen if you don’t have to.
You want to be gabbing together on the couch, slightly turned in, hanging on every word!
This Vegan Vanilla Wacky Cake recipe takes only a minimal amount of ingredients and a few minutes to throw together. Leave the mixer in the cupboard. You don’t need it.
How to Make a Wacky Cake
Usually I will just make one layer of the cake and it makes a nice, simple dessert. But every now and then, I’ll double that recipe and make a layer cake.
It’s like the little black dress of cakes. You can eat it casually on a Thursday night, or you can dress it up (by adding another layer) and voila! It’s ready for prime time! You could also create variations of the Vegan Vanilla Wacky Cake by adding:
- Chocolate chips could turn this into a Chocolate Chip Vanilla Cake
- Add some orange zest to make a delicious orange cake (YAS!)
- Sprinkle some coconut flakes on the frosting
- Peanut Butter frosting between the two layers would be delicious!
Watch my video on making the chocolate wacky cake to help you with making this vegan vanilla wacky cake.
I love some amazing frosting on my cake, so you’ll find my tips for that in this recipe as well. But if you want to skip that step, you can always just give it a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
We hope you love this Vegan Vanilla Wacky Cake as much as we do. If you decide to make this cake, snap a photo and use #namelymarly on Instagram or Snapchat (I’m @namelymarly there). We love seeing your photos!
Vanilla Wacky Cake Recipe
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vanilla plant-based protein powder*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar or Chocolate Frosting (see below for topping**)
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a round cake pan with vegetable spray. You can also place a piece of parchment paper at the bottom of the pan and spray the sides with vegetable oil.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl the flour, sugar, vanilla protein powder, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- In a smaller bowl combine the vegetable oil, water, vinegar and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Pour the water mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar or top with Chocolate Frosting**
Here’s some other yummy vegan cakes:
- Vegan Vanilla Birthday Cake by Green Forks
- Classic Vegan White Cake by Vegan Baking
- Vanilla Vegan Birthday Cake by The Healthy Family and Home
- Vegan Vanilla Cake by yours truly
Whatever cake you’re sticking your fork in, enjoy!