Make this amazing Vegan Fried Rice recipe today. This Chinese restaurant-style veggie fried rice is the BEST! Vegan tofu fried rice recipes are quick and easy to make and you can customize it with your favorite add-ins. Vegetable Fried Rice transforms leftover rice into a delicious dinner that takes around 30 minutes to make.
This delicious and easy vegan fried rice recipe is made with a simple tofu scramble, rice, and mixed vegetables. Homemade fried rice is so much better and healthier than Chinese takeout!
The difference between vegan recipes and and vegetarian fried rice is the eggs. Because vegans don’t eat eggs, this recipe uses a tofu scramble to create the flavor and texture profile of eggs.
Tofu and rice are a great combination because tofu adds protein, making it nutritious and delicious!
Is fried rice good for you?
The standard fried rice recipe calls for white rice that’s fried in oil. To make fried rice healthier, use long grain brown rice and reduce the oil. Be sure to add lots of healthy veggies, like onions, carrots, green beans, and more!
What kind of rice is used for fried rice?
It’s best to use medium to long grain rice when making fried rice. Short grain rices can be used, however, they’re softer and can stick together more. Although white rice is the more traditional rice used, you can use brown rice to create a healthier fried rice.
How to Make Vegan Fried Rice
Fried rice has been a go-to recipe because of its simplicity and ease of making. Of course, it’s also delicious. The traditional recipe is made with eggs and even pork or chicken. However, it’s easy to make vegetarian fried rice recipes!
Let’s talk about fried rice ingredients:
- Rice — It’s best to use either a medium or long-grain rice for vegan fried rice recipes to avoid clumping of the rice. Also, be sure to use cold rice for the best fried rice. Freshly cooked rice will create soggy fried rice. So cook your rice the day before and store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Or if you make it fresh, spread it out on a pan and refrigerate it for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Scrambled Tofu — I make a specific tofu scramble for this recipe, to better enhance the Asian flavors of this dish.
- Veggies — You can use a variety of veggies, but a gold standard is carrots and peas. You can use fresh, but to keep things easy, go ahead and buy frozen peas and frozen chopped carrots. You can even buy Asian frozen veggies too.
- Sauce — This sauce adds lots of flavor and helps with the browning process as well.
- Oil or Butter — I use a combination of vegan butter and toasted sesame oil to make the best fried rice!
To prepare your fried rice with tofu, let’s begin with making the tofu scramble. This takes only a few minutes and adds great flavor, texture, and even protein to your finished dish.
Be sure to press the tofu to remove excess liquid. The cooking process removes some of the liquid too. I put the whole block of tofu in the skillet with a little bit of vegan butter. Then use a spatula to break it up into smaller pieces.
Once the tofu is adequately cooked and broken down into bite-sized pieces, add the flavorings and spices. Stir to make sure it’s all coated. Then transfer to a bowl or sealable container and set aside.
Eggless fried rice is delicious and easy to make!
Quick Fix Tip
Make the tofu scramble and rice the day before and this recipe comes together in minutes!
Once the tofu is cooked, it’s time to move on to making fried rice. Start by cooking chopped onions in vegan butter. I know it seems like some sort of vegetable oil would be a better choice, but vegan butter helps with the browning process and adds great flavor too!
You’ll also want to add the chopped carrots and then cook them until they’re tender.
Quick Fix Tip
To make this faster, use frozen carrots as they’re already tender. If you’re using freshly chopped carrots, you can microwave them for 1-2 minutes to soften them up. To do so, add chopped carrots to a microwave-safe bowl, add a splash of water (not much), cover, and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Let sit in the microwave until the dish is cool enough to handle. Then transfer the cooked carrots to the skillet with the cooked onions.
Once the onions and carrots are tender, add any other vegetables you’ll be using and the chilled rice.
Fried Rice Sauce
To make the fried rice sauce, combine tamari (a gluten-free soy sauce), toasted sesame oil, minced garlic, almond butter, agave (or maple syrup), and chili garlic sauce.
Yes, it’s true that chili garlic sauce can be spicy. However, we’re only using 2 teaspoons to add flavor. I’ve tested this with people who don’t like spicy food and it passed the test! However, you can leave the chili sauce out if you’re really opposed to it.
Next, pour the sauce over the the tofu stir fry rice. Stir the rice to make sure it’s all coated with the sauce.
Then turn the heat up to medium-high. The trick to frying anything is time — so let the rice sit in the pan on medium-high heat for several minutes. Then use a spatula to turn the rice. You should see it beginning to turn golden brown. Continue this process until the rice is fried.
At this point, add the scrambled tofu and stir to distribute it throughout.
Add-ins for this vegetable fried rice recipe: steamed broccoli, steamed cauliflower, water chestnuts, chopped peanuts, and more!
Vegan Rice Recipes
Do you love this vegan fried rice and now you want to see more delicious vegan rice dishes? Be sure to check out these vegan recipes with rice:
- This tasty Vegan Chicken and Rice Casserole uses rice combined with vegan chicken for a traditionally delicious meal
- In a hurry? This One-Pot Chickpea Curry is amazing and easy to make
- Make this Vegan Enchilada Rice bowl recipe for fantastic vegan brown rice recipes
- This Wild Rice and Sweet Potato Skillet Dinner is easy to make and a perfect quick dinner recipe
- Enjoy a serving of Vegan Chicken Teriyaki and Edamame Rice Bowls
- Be sure to serve your favorite vegetarian rice dishes with this Vegan Rangoon Dip on the side!
For more Vegan Chinese Recipes, be sure to try my Orange Tofu. It’s so delicious! And these Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps are so good and one of my favorites low-carb vegan Asian recipes. Speaking of low carb, these Cauliflower Rice Sushi Rolls are the best!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Fried Rice
Tofu Scramble for Fried Rice
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, divided
- 15 ounce extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mild miso paste
- 4 cups cooked long or short grain rice , chilled
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
For the Fried Rice Tofu Scramble
- Press tofu to remove excess liquid. Either wrap in a kitchen towel and set something heavy on top (such as a cast iron skillet) to press out the liquid or use a tofu press.
- While the tofu is pressing, stir together the nutritional yeast flakes, turmeric, paprika, and garlic powder Set aside. in a small bowl. In a seperate bowl stir together the miso paste with two teaspoons of water. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon vegan butter. Add the pressed tofu cube. Use a spatula to break the tofu down into small, bite-size pieces. Continue cooking and breaking the tofu into smaller bits, until the tofu has released most of its moisture. Drizzle the miso paste mixture over the tofu and use a spatula to stir until all the tofu is coated.
- Sprinkles spiced over the top and stir until all the tofu is coated. Transfer to the tofu scramble to a bowl. Set aside.
For the Fried Rice
- Add 1 tablespoon vegan butter to the skillet just used to make the tofu. Once the butter is melted, add the chopped onion. Cook until tender, 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, peas and carrots. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn and any other vegetable add-ins like diced red bell peppers.
- While the vegetables cook, combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add remaining vegan butter and cook until it's melted. Then add cooked rice and sauce and stir. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4 – 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Then turn heat up to medium high. Add tofu scramble and stir to combine. Cook for another 4 – 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with sriracha for spicy heat. Top with chopped roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, and/or sliced green onions.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To serve leftover vegan fried rice, eat cold, or reheat in a skillet over medium heat, or microwave for 1 – 2 minutes.