Rich, dense, ultra chocolatey, you will be swooning for these Vegan Fudgy Black Bean Brownies. They’re made with less than 10 ingredients which means they’ll be ready in no time! They’re easy, delicious, and thanks to black beans, even healthy too! If you love fudgy brownies, these are the ultimate! Make them today!
Making Chocolate Brownies
Sometimes I’m about all the chocolate. But most of the time I’m looking for ways to feed myself that chocolate in a way that’s as healthy as possible, without sacrificing taste. That’s where these Vegan Fudgy Black Bean Brownies come in.
This isn’t my first attempt at a Black Bean Brownie. And that first batch was a seriously good. But this batch? Let me just say, amazing comes to mind.
I’ve had a passion for fiber for quite awhile. In fact, that’s one reason I have such a thing with using chickpeas. That passion has grown even more intense since listening to Dr. Garth Davis on the Rich Roll Podcast.
Do you know what he said that really caught my attention? Most of us would never have to deal with our weight if we focused on getting 35 grams of fiber per day.
Then there’s Dr. Gregor’s video, Do Vegetarians Get Enough Protein, where he points out that we’re getting more than enough protein, but missing the fiber target dramatically.
Vegan Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
There’s a lot of ways you can make these Vegan Fudgy Black Bean Brownies and I love showcasing options for you! Because when I see a recipe, I love to change them. Here are some ideas for adapting this recipe:
- You can use gluten-free flour to make these gluten-free as well
- These would be great with chopped walnuts
- If you prefer a less “fudgy” texture to your brownies. omit the bean brine in the recipe and add a tablespoon or two (from the can), until you get a desired batter
- You can also bake these a little longer
- Add some flaked coconut to the batter before you bake it
- Use dark cocoa powder for an even richer brownie
- You know I love peanut butter, so I would definitely be subbing coconut oil for some PB!
There’s so many ways to make these Vegan Fudgy Black Bean Brownies unique to you! Just experiment until you find the way you like to make them best. I also love to serve these brownies with a dab of Coconut Whipped Cream on top!
How to Make These Brownies
I use a food processor to make these brownies because it makes the batter (including the beans) nice and smooth. You’ll need less than 10 ingredients for this recipe and these are:
- coconut oil
- black beans (15 oz can)
- sugar (you can use coconut sugar)
- chocolate chips
- cocoa powder
- all-purpose flour (but I think whole wheat pastry flour would work too)
- ground flax seeds
I imagine you have several of these recipes right in your pantry.
Are You Getting Your Fiber?
According to Dr. Gregor (and many other nutritional experts) most Americans are not getting enough fiber. In fact, on average, we’re consuming about 15 grams of fiber a day. That’s not a lot when you consider the recommendation of 30-35 grams per day.
Just look up the nutritional information for dairy, eggs, and other animal-based products. There’s no fiber. And most processed foods don’t include any significant amount of fiber either.
So, how are we supposed to up our fiber game?
The best way of adding fiber to your diet is…eating plants! Seriously. In fact, plants are not only the best source of fiber, they’re our only source of fiber in our diets.
I’m convinced that adding fiber is the way to go, but that doesn’t mean we have to give up some of the foods we love. That’s where these black bean brownies come in. Whereas the average brownie has less than 1 gram of fiber per serving, by including black beans in the ingredients, these Vegan Fudgy Black Bean Brownies boast nearly 4 grams of fiber per serving.
Go ahead. Have another!
Do Black Bean Brownies Taste Good?
It’s surprising, but black bean brownies actually taste really good. Of course, having a healthy dose of fiber is important and adds value. But the brownies need to taste good as well.
They’re not just good…they’re crazy good!
So, in summary, these brownies are:
- full of fiber
- easy to make
What else could you ask for!
We hope you love these Vegan Fudgy Black Bean Brownies as much as we do! If you decide to make them, take a photo and share them using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Vegan Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 15 oz can black beans with bean brine
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (substitute gluten-free baking flour)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a 8" square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Combine the coconut oil and black beans in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Add the sugar and chocolate chips to the food processor. It will be a bit bumpy, but pulse for a few seconds (up to 20 - 30 seconds) to break up the chocolate chips. You can always chop the chocolate chips into pieces on a cutting board if you prefer not to put your food processor to the test.
- Add in the cocoa powder, flour, ground flax, and cornstarch. Give the mixture one more pulse until the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into your prepared pan, using a spatula to get it all. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick (or piece of spaghettinserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Once the brownies are done, remove them from the oven and set aside to cool before serving. Serve warm (or not - they're delicious either way).