This Healthy Vegan Zucchini Bread Recipe is a simple and delicious vegan quick bread. This Best Zucchini Bread recipes are made with minimal ingredients and LOTS of flavor. Make this tasty Quick Bread for friends, family, neighbors, but be sure to keep some for yourself! Of course, you’ll love the texture zucchinis add to your vegan baked goods.
So, I love taking advantage of zucchinis at the farmer’s market! If you’re like me and love vegan zucchini recipes, take a look at my Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Cake. Yum!
Of course, if you’re looking for a savory way to use up those zucchinis on the counter, how about this Vegan Spicy Sesame Zucchini Zoodle recipe!
I have tried several zucchini bread recipes over the year. I knew I had to transform those zucchini bread recipes vegan!
Are Zucchinis Healthy?
Do you think of zucchini as healthy? I have to confess, I don’t always feel that way. I’ve been guilty of christening the zucchini with the “iceberg lettuce” of the plant world crown. It’s green, sure, but maybe not packing a phytonutrient punch.
The thing is, it’s not true.
The zucchini is in the summer squash family. Interestingly enough, zucchini is loaded with nutrients from the Vitamin B family. Believe it or not, you’ll get protein and fiber from zucchini too.
Protein? From a zucchini? Who knew protein could be so green!
But where zucchini really stands out is in the carotenoids, otherwise known as antioxidants. Just remember, carotenoids are what’s responsible for the vibrant color, like the green color mostly found in the skin of a zucchini. That’s one of the reasons this recipe includes the peel.
How to Make Vegan Zucchini Bread
You can make a loaf of this moist zucchini bread recipe today! Here are the steps involved:
Step One: Prepare the Zucchini
Cut off the ends of the Zucchini and shred it (including the peel), until you have 1 1/2 cups of shreds. Place the shredded zucchini in 2 – 3 paper towel pieces and then wring it out over the sink, to remove excess fluid.
Step Two: Make a Flax Egg
In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seeds and water. Stir to combine.
Step Three: Combine Wet Ingredients
In a mixing bowl, combine the vegan butter, coconut sugar, plant-based milk (if not using vanilla-flavored add 1 teaspoon of vanilla), and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine. Add the pressed zucchini and stir this all together.
Step Four: Combine Dry Ingredients
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine. Add the dried cranberries and chopped walnuts (if using). Stir until both are coated.
Step Five: Mix the Batter and Bake
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
Finally, pour the batter into your prepared bread pan. Place in the heated oven and bake for 50 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Making it Healthy
It’s good to take your food seriously and get all the health benefits you can. In this recipe for zucchini bread, I used a lot of methods to make this zucchini bread recipe healthy:
- Reduced the total amount of sugar. You can reduce total added sugars by half in some recipes!
- Replaced granulated sugar with coconut sugar. You can substitute coconut sugar 1:1 and it adds a nice caramel-like flavor. Coconut sugar also has a lower glycemic index, with reduced impact on blood sugar.
- Make a sugar free zucchini bread by using a zero sweetener like Swerve.
- Used whole wheat pastry flour. I find working with whole wheat pastry flour creates a great texture. If you’re not certain you’ll like it, then go halfsies: half all-purpose flour, and half whole wheat pastry flour
- Replaced the egg with a flax egg. A flax egg creates a nice binder. Plus you’ll get some Omega-3s, which are so good for you!
- Add some cinnamon. Once I learned that cinnamon helps reduce blood sugar, it has been my go-to spice to add to my sweets.
- Include dried cranberries. I love the health benefits offered by dried cranberries, such as fiber, Vitamin C, and more.
- Why not some walnuts! I could go on all day about the health benefits of walnuts. They’ve got folate, melatonin, Omega-3s, and other gut-healthy phytonutrients. Besides, they taste good too.
There are lots of ways to sneak in some healthy in your everyday recipes. And if you’re like me, we’re always looking for that perfect balance of healthy and flavor in an easy zucchini bread recipe!
How to Make Vegan Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
It’s easy to make gluten free vegan zucchini bread without eggs! Simply substitute all purpose gluten-free baking flour with all purpose flour called for in this recipe!
How To Eat Eggless Zucchini Bread
Believe it or not, there is a proper way to eat this Vegan Zucchini Walnut Bread. So, are you worried now that you’ve been eating homemade zucchini bread wrong all these years?
No worries. Because, any way you slice it, it’s gonna be good. I just think to eat it properly you need to cut off a slice, toast it (we use a toaster oven), and add a little slice of vegan butter. Ooh la la!
Sometimes, I think the only way to eat vegan zucchini bread recipes is with a fork. As in, hand me the loaf and a fork, please! 😬
This vegan zucchini bread no egg makes a great gift to give to new neighbors. It’s a lovely combination of sweet (but not too sweet), healthy (but not too healthy), and welcoming. That’s what I call perfection.
So, using these tips and tricks to make this zucchini bread no eggs perfect every time:
- The real trick is squeezing the zucchini to remove the excess fluid.
- I could absolutely see subbing peanut butter for half of the fat in this recipe
- I included cinnamon, but a half a teaspoon of dried ginger would be nice too
- Change up the nuts if you’re not a walnut fan; pecans would do nicely too
- Mmm, some chopped pistachios would add some nice color and flavor
- Instead of the flax egg, substitute a mashed banana to make vegan zucchini banana bread
- For a no sugar zucchini bread recipe, substitute Swerve for the coconut sugar in this recipe.
- Think about adding some grated orange zest. It would be FAB!
- I used coconut sugar, but if you don’t have that handy, brown sugar will do just fine
- Also, you could replace the vegan butter with coconut oil
- You could try gluten-free baking mix to make this a gluten-free recipe
Sure, I love to serve this Vegan Healthy Zucchini Bread with a nice cup of hot chai tea. If you haven’t figured it out by now, I’m quite the tea fanatic. Right now this is my favorite summertime iced chai tea and it works quite fine with this recipe too!
You know, we hope you’re head over heels in love with recipe for Vegan Healthy Zucchini Bread. I know we sure are. So, if you make it, take a shot and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram or Twitter. We LOVE seeing your creations!
Vegan Healthy Zucchini Bread
- 1 small Zucchini
- 1 Flax Egg (1T Ground Flax + 3 T water)
- 1/3 cup Vegan Butter , melted
- 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 cup Plant Based Milk , vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries (Optional)
- 1/3 cup Chopped Walnuts
- Spray a 9 X 5 bread pan with vegetable spray. Heat your oven to 350F.
- Cut off the ends of the Zucchini and shred it (including the peel), until you have 1 1/2 cups of shreds. Place the shredded zucchini in 2 – 3 paper towel pieces and then wring it out over the sink, to remove excess fluid.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seeds and water. Stir to combine.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the vegan butter, coconut sugar, plant-based milk (if not using vanilla-flavored add 1 teaspoon of vanilla), and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine. Add the pressed zucchini and stir this all together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine. Add the dried cranberries and chopped walnuts (if using). Stir until both are coated.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared bread pan. Place in the heated oven and bake for 50 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Love Zucchini Recipes?
So, if you’re into delicious vegetarian vegan zucchini recipes like me, check these out:
- What about this Vegan Savory Zucchini Bread!
- This Vegan Zucchini Bread Pancakes recipe is amazing!
- Make this Sesame Zoodles recipe for your next healthy lunch!
Finally, whatever zucchini recipe you’re stirring up, enjoy!