You’ll fall in love with the vegan pumpkin bars, with their buttery crust and delicious pumpkin pie filling, topped with even more delicious crumbles on top! If you’re looking for something different than the traditional pumpkin pie, these delicious pumpkin bars should do the trick!
Once they unleash the pumpkin flood gates, it’s really hard to stop. Even after Thanksgiving is over, I’m still in love with pumpkin. That’s why I’m sharing these Vegan Pumpkin Bars with you today.
And I toyed around with the idea of calling them breakfast bars, because you really could have them for breakfast. But then think how disappointed you’d be when the rest of your day doesn’t compare to the delicious vegan pumpkin bars you had for breakfast?
Or maybe it would make your great day even better.
I’m flummoxed! 🤔
Whatever time of day you decide to eat these vegan pumpkin bars, be prepared to fall in love! ❤️
How Do You Make Vegan Pumpkin Bars?
The good news is there are no special pans required for this recipe. All you need is a simple, little 9X9″ square baking pan, and that’s kind of a staple in most kitchens.
If you don’t have a square baking pan, please don’t run out and buy one. You can also make this in a round cake pan, or even a loaf pan! Improvising is sometimes required in a kitchen.
The trick with this vegan pumpkin bars recipe, is to make sure you reserve enough of the crust to create ample topping. Because the topping bakes up nicely and adds a nice layer of golden crunch. It makes a difference!
Straight out of the oven, these bars will be a bit crumbly, but allow them to cool a bit and that crust will firm up nicely.
Do you ever hear someone embrace a loved one and say something like, “never change”? I guess that’s supposed to mean, be sure to stay true to who you are, but I always feel a little distressed when I hear that. Change is all around us…it’s kind of impossible not to change. I think it would be better to say, “always change.” But that’s just me. I think the same of this recipe. Look for ways you can adapt it and make these vegan pumpkin bars your own!
If you’d like some ideas for changing this recipe, I’ll get you started. Here’s some ways I suggest changing up this recipe:
- Feel free to double the batch and use a 9X12″ cake pan
- Add a little vegan cream cheese to the pumpkin mix to make it even creamier
- Try a teaspoon or two of cinnamon in the pumpkin layer
- Ooh, what about some dried ginger in the crust? I love ginger!
- I could see adding some dried blueberries to the crust too, for added color and flavor
- Make these bars gluten-free by using gluten-free baking flour
That’s it my suggestions for adapting this vegan pumpkin bars recipe. Use these suggestions or create your own list of adaptations! However you slice it, these bars are going to be delicious! If you’d like to try some another variety of pumpkin recipes, check out my Vegan Pumpkin Pie. Or you could also make my Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Sugar Donuts. They’re pretty tasty! Also, if you love crumble bars, check out my Blueberry Crumble Bars!
We hope you love this recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Bars as much as we do. If you decide to make it, go ahead and snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram or Twitter. We LOVE seeing your photos!
Vegan Pumpkin Bars
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup syrup sweetener , Agave, Maple Syrup, or Honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (see note for gluten-free)
- 1½ cup rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons syrup sweetener , Agave, Maple Syrup, or Honey
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a 9×9 baking pan with vegetable spray.
- In a food processor combine the coconut oil, peanut butter, syrup sweetener, vanilla, and pecans and pulse until well combined. *
- Add the flour, oats, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder, and salt to the food processor and give it several short bursts of pulsing until combined. Then use a spoon to stir in any stray ingredients. Press most of the the crust into your prepared pan, reserving about a half cup for topping.
- In a separate bowl combine the pumpkin, flax seeds, 2 tablespoons of agave, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir to combine. Spread the pumpkin mixture over the crust. Top with the reserved crust mixture.
- Place in heated oven and bake for 25 minutes. The top should be golden brown.
- When done, remove from oven and cool completely before cutting into bars.
- These will keep up to 5 – 7 days in the fridge.