You’ll love these fall-themed Vegan Reuben Brats to extend the fun of summer grilling into the beautiful fall days!
Each summer we vow to grill more than last summer and I’m not sure we’ve been as successful at that as we’d like to be. Until this year.
I’ve decided it takes commitment. Not in a time-consuming kind of way, but in a we’re gonna do this way.
This year we made vegan kabobs which I’ve decided are really fun to make. We cut up all the ingredients and placed them on the counter and we all stood there, together, making our own kabobs. Shawn grilled them and we enjoyed some pretty tasty (and healthy) dinners.
My only tip with that is to be sure to soak those bamboo skewers. Otherwise, the wood catches fire and you’ll have bits of tofu, onion, peppers and more in flames. It’s no fun!
Adee and I also discovered the deliciousness that is vegan marshmallows. If that doesn’t cry out for a little summer grilling (Do I have to say it? OK. S’mores, people!), I don’t know what does. I think the problem is we enjoyed the marshmallows so much, they didn’t always make it to getting toasted over a fire. Oh well.
But then we decided to take our summer grilling to the next level with these Vegan Reuben Brats.
We grilled these veggie sausages, but if the weather doesn’t allow for grilling where you’re at, you could easily cook them on a skillet as well.
I remember when my mom first introduced us to the Reuben Sandwich. I wasn’t a big fan of the sauerkraut so I always had my sandwich without it, but I loved the combination of flavors – the rye bread, and swiss cheese…and the special sauce. Oh, the special sauce!
This Vegan Reuben Brats takes me back to the first time trying a reuben sandwich. I think because since going vegan I haven’t had a lot of reuben sandwiches anymore. There is a local vegan restaurant that sells vegan reuben sandwiches, but there’s nothing like having one made at home! Oh, and my tastes have matured and I can now handle the sauerkraut.
Sometimes it’s good to grow up. 🙂
Why don’t you give this sandwich a try and let us know what you think! Share a photo on Instagram or Twitter with #namelymarly so we can share in the fun as well. Besides, we love seeing your photos!
Vegan Reuben Brats
- 12 oz can or bottle of beer
- 4 vegan sausages
- ½ cup dairy-free mayo
- ¼ cup french-style dressing
- 1-2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground flax optional, but adds thickness
- 4 hotdog buns
- ½ cup sauerkraut drained
- ½ cup vegan shredded mozzarella or swiss cheese
- Bring the beer to a boil in a saucepan. Add the Harvest Apple Smart Sausages and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for up to 15 minutes.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. When sausages are ready, place on heated grill and cook 5-10 minutes, turning to brown sides.
- In a bowl combine the mayo, dressing, relish, chopped green onions, and flax. Stir to combine to create the special sauce.
- When the sausages are adequately browned, place one sausage in each bun. Top with sauerkraut and vegan cheese. Place on the grill for a few minutes (or in a microwave) until the cheese begins to melt.
- Serve warm with Special Sauce.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.