This vegan tuna salad recipe uses mashed chickpeas combined with vegan mayo, mustard, and seasonings to make the perfect vegan sandwich spread. It’s like tuna salad without the tuna! It’s so good you’ll make time and time again.
This vegan tuna salad sandwich makes a vegan twist on a popular, yet fishy kind of sandwich. Just another example of how you can be vegan and enjoy a variety of tasty dishes!
I had to make a tuna vegan sandwich to solve this dilemma.
Now I’ve got a way to have “Tuna” salad…and eat it too. No more gross, fishy taste and no heavy ecological toll on the ocean too! What’s the secret? Garbanzo Bean Tuna Salad!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Chickpeas — Also known as garbanzo beans, you’ll need a 15-ounce can
- Mustard — I prefer yellow mustard, but brown mustard works here too.
- White miso paste — I prefer using miso paste to add that umami flavor. You can buy miso paste in health food stores, Asian markets, and sometimes even the health food section of grocery stores will have it. If you can’t find it, it’s ok to leave it out.
- Vegan mayo — I frequently use Hellman’s Vegan Mayo, but you can substitute some cashew cream or even mashed avocado.
- Green onion
- Red bell pepper
- Garlic powder
- Dill pickle — You can substitute a sweet pickle or even relish works too.
- Celery seeds — I like adding a few celery seeds, or you can substitute a half cup of chopped celery.
- Sea salt — If you’re not using miso paste, you may need to add a bit more salt.
How to Make Vegan Tuna Salad
It’s easy to make this vegan tuna salad. Let’s begin!
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher, until most are broken down.
- Make the sauce by stirring together the mustard, mayo and miso paste until well combined. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Pour the sauce over the mashed chickpeas and stir until combined.
- Chill the salad by transferring it to a lidded container and refrigerating for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Here is a more detailed step-by-step guide:
Step One: Mash Chickpeas
Pour the chickpeas into a bowl and use a fork or a potato masher to mash them. It’s ok to leave some clumps from the chickpeas.
Step Two: Create the Sauce
In a separate bowl combine the vegan mayo, mustard, miso paste. Stir to combine. Add chopped green onions, chopped bell peppers, celery seed, and salt. Stir to combine.
Step Three: Make the Salad
Pour the sauce over the mashed chickpeas. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate. Chill before serving.
There are plenty of ways to serve this tasty vegan tuna salad:
- Sandwiches — Add this spread over a slice of bread and add your favorite toppings like lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and even more condiments. Serve it open-faced or add another slice of bread on top.
- Salads — Add dollops of this spread to your favorite salads, like vegan wedge salad or vegan Caesar salad.
- Soft Tacos — Serve this spread on a soft corn tortilla with a drizzle of sriracha on top. It’s a delicious, gluten-free way to eat it!
- Wraps — Use this vegan sandwich spread on tortillas to create wraps. Be sure to add some yummy extras, like vegan cheddar shreds, chopped onions, salad greens, and more!
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days. Be sure to stir it before spreading on sandwiches or adding to salads.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does chickpea tuna salad taste?
A vegan tuna salad recipe with chickpeas tastes amazingly like a regular tuna salad. The combination of other ingredients, including mayo, mustard, onions, and pickles, adds the familiar flavors you’re used to and the mashed chickpeas add the texture!
What can I put chickpea tuna salad on?
Serve this chickpea tuna salad on a bun or bread for a tasty plant-based sandwich. You can also serve it as a dip with chips or crackers. Place a dollop on soft corn tortillas or you can also serve it on a salad.
Vegan Sandwich Spreads
There are lots of options when it comes to making your own sandwich spreads:
Vegan Tuna Salad is so easy to make and so incredibly satisfying. It’s my summer staple dish, especially for lunch. Interestingly enough, it has the same color, the same, look, and even a similar texture to a tuna salad, but (thank goodness) the vegan version comes sans the fishy taste!
More Vegan Sandwiches
If you love vegan sandwich recipes, be sure to give these a try:
That’s it for this vegan tuna salad recipe. Enjoy!
Vegan Tuna Salad
- 15 oz can chickpeas garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickle (relish works too)
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a medium bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork. They don't need to be all completely mashed, but mostly.
- In a small bowl, combine the mustard, mayo and miso paste and stir together until well combined. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Pour the mayo mix over the mashed chickpeas and stir until combined. Transfer to a lidded container and refrigerate for about 10 – 15 minutes before serving.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.