This Vegan Deviled Ham Spread is made with a surprise plant-based ingredient. You’ll love this smoky spread to serve on sandwiches. This creamy and spicy vegan ham salad recipe is so good, you’ll want to make time and time again!
Did you grow up eating Deviled Ham? You know, the stuff in the little cans? Well, I thought my devilish days were over, but today I’ve got a little surprise for you: Vegan Deviled Ham spread.
I remember eating the little cans of deviled ham as a young adult and thinking it was pretty good stuff. I’m just being honest here. I wasn’t a big fan of ham. It was at our family dinner each Easter, but it wasn’t my jam. But for some reason pureed and served in a can with a red devil holding a pitchfork on the front, I liked it.
Maybe this is proof there’s a little bit of the devilishness in us all! 🙂
This vegan ham salad is even better because it’s made with all plants. Besides, it’s pretty easy to make with only a few ingredients!
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- Sun-dried Tomatoes — You can use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil. However, some packages of sun-dried tomatoes are hard and dry. If that’s the kind you have, you’ll need to soften them up in some hot water for about 10 minutes
- Vegan mayo — You can use Just Mayo, Vegan Hellman’s, or whatever your favorite eggless mayo is
- Green onion — You can sub chopped yellow onion here, but I find green onion adds the best flavor and texture
- Mustard — I used yellow mustard but brown mustard works too
- Garlic powder — Add a sweet garlic flavor by using Garlic Confit
- Liquid smoke — This is where you’ll get that smoky flavor
- Red chili pepper — You’ll remove the seeds, but still, these peppers do add a little heat. You can sub red bell pepper if you don’t like spicy foods
- Optional Spice — For even more kick, add a little sriracha sauce!
How to Make Vegan Ham Salad
Were you worried this might be difficult to make? Worry no more, because, with only a few ingredients and a food processor, you’ve got this! If you don’t have a food processor, a blender should work too.
Step One: Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Making the roasted chickpeas is the hardest step in this whole recipe. And guess what? You can make it even faster by using my Air Fryer Chickpeas recipe.
Step Two: Create the Paté
A paté is made by grinding ingredients in a blender or food processor. That’s what we’ll be doing here.
So, add the roasted chickpeas in a food processor along with some sun-dried tomatoes.
After pulsing those together, add the rest of the ingredients, pulse again, and voila! You are ready to start spreading it on sandwiches.
See? I told you that was easy!
We love serving this Vegan Deviled Ham spread on sandwiches. It begins with toasted bread, smearing a nice, thick layer over the bottom slice, and topping that with some lettuce and other goodies, like sliced green onions and tomatoes.
You can also serve this as an appetizer, by toasting some sliced baguette pieces and spreading dollops of this vegan ham salad over the top. Place those on a platter and watch your guests go to town!
More Vegan Sandwiches
If you love Vegan Sandwiches, you’ve come to the right place! Here are more favorite plant-based sandwiches to enjoy:
- This Vegan French Dip Sandwich is indulgent and delicious from the first bite to the last
- The Ultimate Vegan Veggie Burger is full of intense flavors and textures
- Lentil Sloppy Joes are great for meal prepping because you’ll have lots of leftovers to enjoy all week
- Make the best Vegan Hot Dogs, including 4 different topping options!
We hope you love this recipe for vegan deviled ham spread as much as we do! If you decide to make the recipe, snap a photo and share it using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Vegan Deviled Ham Spread
- 1 cup Spicy Roasted Chickpeas (see note)
- ¼ Sun-dried Tomatoes*
- 4 – 6 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 red chili pepper stemmed and seeds removed, chopped.**
- Optional Spice: 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- Combine the roasted chickpeas and sundried tomatoes in a food processor. Pulse until this mixture is broken down into small bits.
- Add the vegan mayo, chopped green onion, mustard, garlic powder, and liquid smoke. Pulse until combined.
- You can serve this immediately on a bun or even open-faced sandwich. I’ve also had this spread with a corn tortilla to keep it gluten free.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.