Best Healthy Vegan Dairy-free Egg Salad Recipe (Keto) is a delicious vegan sandwich spread that tastes like a classic egg salad sandwich recipe! This Keto Egg Salad is a low carb, no cholesterol egg sandwich with the color, flavor, and even the mouth feel of egg salad. Use Eggless Egg Salad to make sandwiches, add to salads and more! Tofu Egg Salad transforms tofu into an amazing, tasty egg-free salad!
Tofu Egg Salad Recipe
You know, being a vegan is really not as difficult as it sounds. Most people get all distracted with the idea of giving up meat, eggs, milk and cheese. OK, when you say it like that it can sound a little over the top, especially for people who are used to eating these things.
But once you get past that, you discover all the delicious, clean ingredients you can cook with and you’re hooked. For example, today’s recipe for Vegan Egg Salad is a great example. If you’re nervous about trying tofu, don’t be. Check out my Tofu Buying Guide for additional information.
Delicious Vegan Sandwiches
As you may already know by now, I have a thing for vegan sandwiches. There’s my Vegan Chickpea Tuna Salad Sandwich. This is one of my favorites and I make it day in and day out. I also have a Vegan Sweet Potato Veggie Burger sandwich. Now I can add this vegan egg salad sandwich recipe to the list!
I had someone ask me once why a lot of vegan recipes mimic recipes from the more traditional American diet. Most vegans grew up eating the standard American diet, so we enjoy recreating those recipes from our childhood.
Besides, there’s not only one way to eat a vegan diet, if you ask me. That’s why I wrote a post on 10 Ways to Be Vegan. If you’re intimidated by the idea of going whole hog vegan (that just sounds terrible, I know), then you might find an alternative that works for you.
Why You’ll Love this Vegan Egg Salad
The main ingredient is tofu. Does that scare you a little? I couldn’t even pronounce tofu when I first went into the store to buy some. Now I use it all the time. So, if you’re thinking tofu is outside your comfort zone, give me a chance to convince you how great it is!
The beautiful thing about tofu is that it takes the flavor of the things its cooked with. In this recipe, the tofu is replacing the egg and results in a vegan egg recipe reminiscent of egg salad sandwiches.
This vegetarian egg salad is so easy to make.
How to Make Vegan Egg Salad
To make this egg-free easy egg salad, start with some pressed tofu. Crumble it up into a bowl. Then in a separate bowl, combine the rest of the egg salad ingredients, including the egg-free mayo (I use Just Mayo), green onions, garlic powder, salt, turmeric, thyme, and yellow mustard.
Stir that all together and then pour it over the crumbled tofu and stir until the tofu is coated. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes up to an hour and you’re ready to make your sandwiches!
It really is the very best veggie eggless salad spread!
Is tofu healthy?
Tofu is loaded with calcium, protein, selenium, and even some Omega 3 fats! Read more about the health benefits of tofu in this BBC article.
That’s just to name a few! Here’s a nutritional estimate per serving for this tofu egg salad:
Calories: 123 Carbs: 2g Protein: 3g Fat: 10g
Use these tips to make this recipe for easy vegan egg salad perfect every time:
- This is a gluten-free vegan recipe. Use a gluten-free bun to make the sandwich gluten-free too.
- You can find several varieties of egg-free mayo, like Just Mayo, Earth Balance, Vegenaise, and other eggless salad dressings in both the health food section of and salad dressing aisle of your grocery store.
- To press tofu, remove it from its package and wrap in a kitchen towel. Set it on a plate and top it with something heavy, like a small iron skillet. Let it sit for around 30 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can use a tofu press.
- A small amount of turmeric is added to this recipe to add some bright yellow color
- If you don’t have fresh parsley, use 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley
- Store mock egg salad in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- I do not recommend freezing tofu salad. Freezing changes the consistency of tofu.
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Eggless Egg Salad Sandwich
- 14 oz pkg extra firm tofu drained & mashed
- ½ cup egg-free mayo
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 ½ tablespoon yellow mustard
- Drain the tofu by taking it out of the container and covering both the top and bottom of the tofu with a clean absorbent towel (a dish towel works fine or you can use paper towels too). Press on the top of the tofu or set something heavy to help speed up the process of removing the excess liquid. (This is a lot easier than boiling eggs if you ask me!)
- Use your hands to crumble the tofu into small bits into a lidded bowl.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mustard mixture in with the crumbled tofu. Stir to combine. Chill before serving to let the seasonings settle in.