Now you can simulate the color, the flavor, and even the mouth feel of egg salad with this vegan egg salad recipe. You’re gonna love this Eggless Egg Salad that you can use to make sandwiches, add to salads and more! Think you never could like tofu? Think again because this recipe transforms tofu into tasty egg salad!
Tofu Egg Salad
You know, being a vegan is really not as difficult as it sounds. Most people get all distracted with the idea of giving up meat, eggs, milk and cheese. OK, when you say it like that it can sound a little over the top, especially for people who are used to eating these things.
But once you get past that, you discover all the delicious, clean ingredients you can cook with and you’re hooked. For example, today’s recipe for Vegan Egg Salad is a great example. If you’re nervous about trying tofu, don’t be. Check out my Tofu Buying Guide for additional information.
Delicious Vegan Sandwiches
As you may already know by now, I have a thing for vegan sandwiches. There’s my Vegan Chickpea Tuna Salad Sandwich. This is one of my favorites and I make it day in and day out. I also have a Vegan Sweet Potato Veggie Burger sandwich. Should I go on? 🙂
I had someone ask me once why a lot of vegan recipes mimic recipes from the more traditional American diet. It’s a good question. My answer?
Because we can!
And most vegans grew up eating the standard American diet, so we enjoy recreating those recipes from our childhood. We get all the enjoyment of these comfort foods without the guilt!
Besides, there’s not only one way to eat a vegan diet, if you ask me. That’s why I wrote a post on 10 Ways to Be Vegan. If you’re intimidated by the idea of going whole hog vegan (that just sounds terrible, I know), then you might find an alternative that works for you.
Shawn knows I have trouble following recipes. I just love improvising!
Why You’ll Love this Vegan Egg Salad
The main ingredient is tofu. Does that scare you a little? I couldn’t even pronounce tofu when I first went into the store to buy some. Now I use it all the time. So, if you’re thinking tofu is outside your comfort zone, just hang with me here a minute. Give me a chance to convince you how great it is!
The beautiful thing about tofu is that it takes on the flavor of the things its cooked with. In this recipe, the tofu is replacing the egg and the final product is a sandwich that is quite reminiscent of egg salad sandwiches…without the gas! (Uh-oh. Maybe that was just a personal problem). I know you can take beano to help, but this recipe avoids the need for that!
We loved this recipe so much we made a video for you!
Tofu is loaded with the following nutrients:
- and even some Omega 3 Fats!
That’s just to name a few! We cook with tofu regularly, but we mix it in with a variety of different plant-based proteins, like beans!
Eggless Egg Salad Sandwich
- 14 oz pkg extra firm tofu drained & mashed
- ½ cup egg-free mayo
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 ½ tablespoon yellow mustard
- Drain the tofu by taking it out of the container and covering both the top and bottom of the tofu with a clean absorbent towel (a dish towel works fine or you can use paper towels too). Press on the top of the tofu or set something heavy to help speed up the process of removing the excess liquid. (This is a lot easier than boiling eggs if you ask me!)
- Use your hands to crumble the tofu into small bits into a lidded bowl.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mustard mixture in with the crumbled tofu. Stir to combine. Chill before serving to let the seasonings settle in.