Enjoy the tangy, savory flavor of these Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps for your next low-carb or vegan keto meal. Vegan Lettuce Wraps are a healthy additional to your meal plan. And this tofu lettuce wraps recipe is loaded with plant-based protein, veggies, and more. See tips below for transforming these into gluten-free veggie lettuce wraps. This recipe is based off of PF Chang’s Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps.
I’ve been a fan of the lettuce wrap before I could even eat them. It seemed like our local restaurants only served them with chicken and so I had to be a bystander to this dish.
But now things have changed. And I’ve taken it a step further and I’m actually making my own Veggie Lettuce Wraps. The world is once again set right.
Tofu Lettuce Wraps
What’s the big deal about a little bit of seasoned, sautéed tofu and vegetables in pieces of lettuce? I know! I wondered the same thing!
You just have to try this vegan lettuce wrap recipe to really understand. There’s something about the flavor of butter lettuce combined with the perfectly seasoned tofu.
And did I mention that Almond Butter Hoisin Sauce? Let me tell you, the flavors in this dish are so satisfying, you’ll understand why it’s quickly becoming one of my favorites!
Besides, this dish is packing lots of healthy ingredients too. There’s, of course, the leafy green lettuce, but there’s also the protein-packed tofu, colorful red peppers, and some slivered almonds to boost the nutritional balance over the top!
But all the healthiness in the world still needs some deliciousness too. This veg lettuce wraps recipe has it all!
How to Make Veggie Lettuce Wraps
It’s easy to make veggie lettuce wraps. Begin by heating sesame oil in a skillet. Add a block of drained and pressed tofu and cook over medium high heat. Use a spatula to break the tofu into crumbly bits. Cook until the tofu is browned, around 10 minutes.
Stir in chopped onion, hoisin sauce, tamari (gluten-free soy sauce) and some vinegar. Cook until the onions are tender and then reduce the heat to medium and add minced garlic, chopped water chestnuts, green onions, and chopped red pepper. Cook until the peppers are tender.
Next, prepare the hoisin sauce by combining almond butter, tamari, garlic powder, ginger powder, and some vinegar. Stir to combine.
Scoop a spoonful or two of the veggie tofu filling into butter leaf “cups”. Drizzle each with the Hoisin sauce or sauce of your choice.
Use these expert tips and tricks to make the best tofu lettuce wraps recipe every time:
- Use extra firm tofu and press it to remove extra liquid
- Press tofu by wrapping it in a kitchen towel and placing it on a plate with something heavy on the top for 30 minutes to an hour or purchase a tofu presser
- Butter lettuce works best for this veg lettuce wraps recipe, but you can experiment with different lettuces like romaine or iceberg which is a bit crispier, but harder to roll
- I created an almond butter hoisin sauce to make this recipe low carb and keto friendly. If you prefer the previous Blackberry hoisin sauce, substitute blackberry jam for the almond butter
- Tamari is basically a gluten-free soy sauce, so feel free to use soy sauce if you don’t have issues with gluten
- You can substitute any sauce, even plain soy sauce for the blackberry hoisin sauce.
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Veggie Lettuce Wraps
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (see note)
- 15 oz extra firm tofu drained
- 1 onion diced
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped radishes
- 1/4 cup red cabbage , chopped
- ¼ cup red peppers , chopped
- 2 tablespoons almonds , chopped
- 1 head butter lettuce
Almond Butter Sauce
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Heat sesame oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Break tofu into chunks and add to the skillet. Use a spatula to continue breaking the tofu down into a crumbly looking mixture. Cook tofu until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in onion, tamari, and rice wine vinegar. Cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in chopped garlic, radishes, red pepper, cabbage, and almonds. Cook a few more minutes, until the peppers are slightly tender.
- Prepare the Almond Butter Sauce by combing the ingredients and stirring.
- To serve, scoop a spoonful or two of the veggie tofu mixture into the center of each butter lettuce leaf. Serve with Almond Butter or sauce of your choice.
If you like veggie lettuce wraps, you should check out some of these other awesome recipes:
Whatever Asian-inspired dish your chomping on, enjoy!