Homemade Vegan Coconut Almond Joy Cookies Recipe makes a sweet, tender cookie that taste like a favorite candy treat! This vegan cookies recipe is made without butter or eggs so you can share them with just about anyone! This is a coffee shop quality cookie recipe that is full of flavor, texture, and lots of chocolate chips. If you love coconut cookies, this almond joy recipe is for you!
Every year when Halloween rolled around I had a secret wish. I hoped beyond hope that I’d take my daughter Trick-or-Treatin’ and she’d return with at least a few Almond Joys.
You know the candy made up of sweet coconut with an almond on top dipped in chocolate? Could there be a better formula for sweet perfection? Of course, each year I was met with opposition from my little goblin. It turned out she liked these candied morsels too.
One day I decided to make an Almond Joy Cookie recipe so I could enjoy the flavor of my favorite candy!
How to Make Almond Joy Cookies
The first step to making easy almond joy cookies recipes is to cream together the butter, coconut oil, and sugar. This is an important step and I recommend using a mixer on medium speed for 1 – 2 minutes.
I love this post from Serious Eats on the importance of creaming butter and sugar for cookies.
Once that mixture is looking light and fluffy, add the ground flaxseed, cornstarch, plant-based milk, and coconut extract.
In a separate bowl combine the flour with baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Then pour the flour mixture in with the butter/coconut oil mixture and stir that all together.
Finally, add the coconut flakes, chopped almonds, and chocolate chips. Stir this all together. I do not refrigerate the dough before baking. However, if you need to wait before baking, you can refrigerate the dough at this point.
Drop them by rounded spoonfuls on your prepared baking sheet and bake for 9 – 12 minutes.
How long do I bake coconut almond cookies?
How long you bake these tasty almond joy cookies depends on your preferences. If you like a tender cookie, pull them out of the oven at 9 minutes. If you like a crispier, more golden crust to your cookies, then 12 minutes is best.
Of course, always set a timer when baking cookies so you’ll get them just right!
Use these expert tips to make these almond joy cookies perfect every time:
- My recipe calls for vegan butter. I used Earth Balance.
- Be sure and set the butter on the counter for about 30 minutes before making this recipe to help it soften
- When it comes to coconut oil, refined will have less of a coconut flavor whereas virgin or extra virgin will have more coconut flavor
- I used Enjoy Life chocolate chips for this recipe because not only are they vegan, they offer a mini chocolate chip which worked perfectly for this vegan cookie recipe
- I recommend using Bob’s Red Mill Coconut Flakes because it’s a big, flake of coconut. However, if you don’t have that feel free to use either sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes
- Use raw almonds and chop them on a cutting board for this recipe. Otherwise, you can use slivered almonds, but you won’t get the same look of the almond skin showing through
- Be sure and reserve some of the chopped almonds, chocolate chips, and coconut flakes and press them gently on the top of cookie dough balls before baking. This will leave you with dramatic and beautiful cookies that look like they belong in a coffee shop!
- For a chocolate cookie, add 1/4 cup of dutch process cocoa powder to the flour before mixing with the butter/coconut oil mixture
- To make this into a gluten-free almond joy cookies recipe, use gluten-free baking flour.
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Almond Joy Cookies
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 2 cups dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup almonds roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl combine the butter, coconut oil, and sugar. U an electric mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the ground flaxseed, cornstarch, milk, and coconut extract. Beat again, until all ingredients are combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir until combined. Pour in with the butter/coconut oil mixture. Stir until combined.
- Add the coconut flakes, chocolate chips, and chopped almonds. Stir until just combined. Note: reserve some of the coconut flakes and chocolate chips to press onto the top of cookie dough balls.
- Use a cookie dough dispenser or a large tablespoon to drop cookie dough onto an ungreased cookie pan (or one prepared with parchment paper), roughly 2″ apart. Top each cookie with extra coconut and chocolate chips. Bake for 9 – 12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool about a minute before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in a sealed container. They will keep at room temperature for about 4 days, in the fridge for up to 10 days, or they can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Do you love Coconut Treats? Be sure to check out these delicious vegan recipes at Namely Marly:
Vegan Coconut Meringue Pie is a favorite recipe that’s been made dairy-free and egg-free! You’ll love that delicious meringue recipe too!
Whatever vegan dessert you’re eating, enjoy!